PDA

View Full Version : Asus G551JK-DM053H ROG Series Uprade ???

nirmal7
03-25-2015, 05:20 PM
HI,

I am planning to purchase Asus G551JK-DM053H ROG Series laptop within this week. i am from india and love to game. so saved some money for some months and i am ready to purchase the above model. the specifications are all good but i want to upgrade the graphics card to a more powerful one. it is equipped with nvidia gtx850m 2 gb graphics card. i want to upgrade it to a more powerful like 4 gb graphics and also a upper model. is it possible ??? i don't mind also replacing the processor also. i am also planning to upgrade the processor to a more faster one in the near future about 6 to 8 months from now. is it possible ?? please someone answer me.

joshindaphils
03-25-2015, 06:01 PM
A cursory look says no it is not upgradable... but to be honest I don't know for sure, I'll leave that to others.

Mostly though I would advise not playing the upgrade game with laptops, even on laptops that do support upgrades it tends to be a very costly proposition, if / when the parts are avalible. You are often better off selling your laptop used and buying a new one vs upgrading often enough... specifically for GPU and somewhat for CPU. Not to mention the GPU upgrades tend to be half baked solutions when they do exist. There is simply not enough people that do this to make it economical. Now if you enjoy it as a hobby that is something else entirely and as the machine ages you can find deals around / get lucky, etc.

If you really want more power wait and save some more, get what you want not something in between IMHO. The added advantage to waiting is then you do buy there may be better hardware around for the money.

I didn't have a gaming box (just consoles and gog.com got me by) for an 8 year streatch before I picked my current laptop up... and that is coming from someone that used to do major updates every 6 mo. or so...

mthompson18593
03-30-2015, 02:26 AM
The G551 GPU and CPU cannot be upgraded directly. Like most notebooks, the CPU and GPU are soldered into the mainboard. Sorry.