PDA

View Full Version : G73 will not power on intermittently

Josea
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
2 days ago my system would not power on with AC . I unplugged and tried with battery (it was around 95% charged). In both cases no lights, no sounds . I removed the battery & AC cord, held the power switch for 10 seconds, reassemble ; then was able to boot either way. I turned it off and on 3 or 4 times without problems. Today I had the same problem and was able to fix it the same way. I have BIOS 213 - win 7 home and there are no external devices connected when I start up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Josea
PS I never use hibernate (I have SSD so I disabled it) or sleep, and I have tried resetting BIOS to defaults.
Just to add, when not in use the AC adapter is plugged into a powerstrip and I switch off the power strip.

fuzon1337
11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Have you tried to take out the RAM sticks? one at a time, to see if there is a bad RAM causing your problem.

EDIT: When your notebook turns on, go into BIOS and reset it to user defaults, perhaps that would work :)

JRd1st
11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Are you sure it wasn't powering on? No hdd lamps either?

The reason I ask is that some notebooks, here, have had a problem where something in the notebook is getting magnetized by the magnet in the lid and when this happens the notebook doesn't know the lid is opened, so the keyboard and display don't come on but the laptop does.

Fuzon could be right, too. :D

Josea
11-18-2011, 02:32 AM
JRd1st, I am absolutely certain it would not power on two times in the last 2 days, I did not have the lid closed either. Correct no HDD, wireless or battery lights would come on with AC or DC. IT is a G73JH-A1 - I am the original owner. I will try the RAM testing suggest above, thanks to all for the suggestions.
Thanks so much guys, When this started I also notice a sleep/wake issue. Since I rarely use more than 2.2 GIG ram, I removed 2 of the 4 RAM modules and both issues are solved!! Awesome.