PDA

View Full Version : How to force CPU work on maximum speed?

RO-mix
03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
I need tu put CPU on maximum for good audio perfomance, otherwise i experience issues and spikes. Can somebody tell me how to achieve this?

Prostar Computer
03-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Have you tried Intel XTU? It's a free utility from Intel.

RO-mix
03-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Yes but i don`t get how to force cpu from lowering frequency. It is weird now. I work with audio in Ableton, when cpu usage is low and project is simple, frequency goes down and causes crackling. After reaching some level cpu freq becomes higher and it is ok. I look for something to define lowest freq possible...

NitroX
03-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Use High Power Power plan .

hmscott
03-26-2015, 10:54 PM
I need tu put CPU on maximum for good audio performance, otherwise i experience issues and spikes. Can somebody tell me how to achieve this?

RO-mix, Power Plan Control Panel, select Windows High Performance, and remove / uninstall Power4Gear if you have that - it gets in the way of high performance - switches back and forth without notice - best to use the Windows High Performance - Min/Max CPU is set to 100%/100% default.

Then Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU will let you kick up the multipliers on all your Cores + Cache to 2 steps higher than default, it's a nice speed bump up :)

Have fun :)

Death12312
03-27-2015, 01:23 AM
RO-mix, Power Plan Control Panel, select Windows High Performance, and remove / uninstall Power4Gear if you have that - it gets in the way of high performance - switches back and forth without notice - best to use the Windows High Performance - Min/Max CPU is set to 100%/100% default.

Then Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU will let you kick up the multipliers on all your Cores + Cache to 2 steps higher than default, it's a nice speed bump up :)

Have fun :)

Using XTU with my G751JT, I am able to go from 3.5 to 3.6 cache and 3.3 to 3.4 4 cores. However, when I run stress tests, I get thermal throttling. Is this okay? Also, is Turbo Boost Short Power Max okay to bump up (likewise with Long Power Max)?

hmscott
03-27-2015, 02:41 AM
Using XTU with my G751JT, I am able to go from 3.5 to 3.6 cache and 3.3 to 3.4 4 cores. However, when I run stress tests, I get thermal throttling. Is this okay? Also, is Turbo Boost Short Power Max okay to bump up (likewise with Long Power Max)?

Death12312, the G751JT/JY's have a unique combo shared heatpipe / heat spreader system going into dual independent exhaust fan heat exchangers. If you push the CPU and GPU to 100%, like with simultaneous furmark/heaven + prime95 - the CPU temp will ride the Thermal throttling trigger point of 93c/94c.

Here is a G751JY heat pipe cooling system, the ends are the heat exchangers in front of the cooling fans exhaust ports.

That isn't necessarily bad, as putting that much heat out on both cooling sections at the same time will be an unusual even with real applications / games, but if you do need to run such jobs regularly - like rendering / batch CUDA compute then you can use XTU to de-tune Core 3 and 4 a couple of steps down in ratio - but keep Core 1 and 2 at maximum multiplier. Tune the Core 3/4 down until you are not getting thermal throttling, some need to go as low as 30x/29x - some only down to 32x/32x

That way you preserve full performance - Thermal Throttling kills performance on all cores - and still get 1,2,3 core max performance. Keep the Cache up at 36x (or whatever your CPU max is)

You can also help by undervolting the CPU - try -25mV to start, then bump it up (down really) -10mV at a time until you BSOD, then back off -5mV and see if that is stable. Reducing voltage a bit reduces heat generation.

Also if you normally run with Balanced Performance plan the CPU has time to cool down between loads, if you always run in High Performance the heat will keep building - and the fan will run more often at what you expect is Idle speed.

Increasing Power Max and Turbo Time all increase wattage disapation which increases heat - but if you de-tune the Core 3/4 you an still extend the Turbo boost hang time without Thermal Throttling - it will take some testing to find the right balance.

Death12312
03-27-2015, 02:45 AM
Running -90 and -100 undervolt right now with .1 freq bump. Ran 5 minutes - lets see how 2 hours of idle works.

Temps capped at 90. No throttling of any kind.

Is Power Max/Turbo Time even worth messing with if I don't get any power throttling?

hmscott
03-27-2015, 02:49 AM
Is Power Max/Turbo Time even worth messing with? Or is undervolting and bumping freq .1 enough?

Death12312, first use de-tuning Core 3/4 and undervolting to stop Thermal Throttling during existing PowerMax/TurboTime, then increase PowerMax/TurboTime to get longer performance runs - you might need to drop Core 3/4 again to make Thermal Throttling go away during extended increases in TurboTime/PowerMax.

Death12312
03-27-2015, 03:03 AM
Death12312, first use de-tuning Core 3/4 and undervolting to stop Thermal Throttling during existing PowerMax/TurboTime, then increase PowerMax/TurboTime to get longer performance runs - you might need to drop Core 3/4 again to make Thermal Throttling go away during extended increases in TurboTime/PowerMax.

Edited my comment after you replied:

Running -90 and -100 undervolt right now with .1 freq bump. Ran 5 minutes - lets see how 2 hours of idle works.

Temps capped at 90. No throttling of any kind.

Is Power Max/Turbo Time even worth messing with if I don't get any power throttling? Is it unsafe to go above 47 TDP Max to 50?

-What do you mean by longer performance runs?

Death12312
03-27-2015, 03:20 AM
Also, do you think it's worth dropping from Bios 206 to 202 for the extra .1? I do use USB 3.0 and apparantly 205 improved its capabilities...

hmscott
03-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Also, do you think it's worth dropping from Bios 206 to 202 for the extra .1? I do use USB 3.0 and apparantly 205 improved its capabilities...

Death12312, if you are already getting Thermal Throttling, bumping up the ratio 1x more isn't going to make it better, it is going to run hotter.

It's my guess Asus determined the Max Core ratio's on the CPU caused the CPU/GPU at 100%/100% put the CPU right over the edge of Thermal Throttling - so Asus dropped the4 CORE ratio maximum by 1x to bring down the top temperature a bit, just below Thermal Throttling.

I would run the latest BIOS 206 and reap the benefits of all the fixes from 202 to 206 :)

RO-mix
03-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Thank everyone, that works.