PDA

View Full Version : Strange G75 VX USB port behaviour

jocke71
03-28-2015, 06:31 PM
I have a G75 VX laptop and recently the USB ports (3.0) has started to act weird. First, I bought a calibrator for my monitor. If it is plugged in a 3.0 port or via a powered USB 2.0 hub, the computer doesn't boot. It gets stuck at the ROG splash screen. If I plug it in after the windows icon shows it works as intended. But after the computer has been in sleep mode, it then again doesn't recognize the calibrator.
Second, all card readers that I plug in causes the file explorer to hang and crash (SD/CF cards). However, the internal SD-card reader works like a charm. Also, external HDs are not a problem.

The problem occurs with all USB ports. I have tried to uninstall the drivers and re-install, but no difference.

I know absolutely nothing about stuff like this, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Clintlgm
03-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Well look in to advanced power settings to keep your USB Port hot all the time Control Panel/Power Options /Change advanced power settings.
I have no Idea why it won't boot. You could try hitting the ESC key while booting that will being up a boot menu and select windows boot manager? That's just a shot in the dark, I have no Idea what a Calibrator is but perhaps your computer thinks its a bootable device?
I would think the SD Card readers would be the problem with that since the built in one works perfectly. The main problem we see here with USB 3.0 is the left ports will disconnect some times for some people. I myself have that problem so I worked around it using a USB 3.0 Powered Hub plugged in on the right side ports

jocke71
03-28-2015, 08:04 PM
I'll try the windows boot manager and see what that can do. A calibrator is used to make a custom color profile for your monitor so that it best represents colors when printing photos and work with Photoshop. It contains no memory, so it would be strange that the computer thinks it can boot from it.
I've had disconnects from left ports (just a few minutes ago), but card readers do not work on the right ports either.
Speaking of changing power options. My computer has a nasty habit of powering down once in a while. Have tried just about everything but nothing helps so I have pretty much given up on fixing that. However, after every event like this the computer resets to "Power 4Gear" settings, even though I have it on "Balanced" which is also recommended.

Clintlgm
03-28-2015, 08:19 PM
The powering off issue was solved but I don't see any of those threads anymore I never experienced it so I don't remember what the solution was. It almost sound like a clean install and updated drivers may be a good Idea for a base line. Have you check your Temps and fan speeds? I don't think that would cause any of the issues you report except the auto shut downs. Unless its the powering off after wake up from Hibernation there is still a sticky thread on that one up there.
You can uninstall Power 4gear, its just a quick easy way to change power settings

jocke71
03-28-2015, 08:51 PM
The power down wasn't helped by a clean install. However, I have suspected hibernation as a cause of the problem, and have previousy searched for a solution, but didn't find one. I'll check sticky ones. Maybe someone else remembers the solution?
It never happens due to heavy load on the computer. Sometimes when just working in Power Point and listening to music.
I checked Windows Boot Manager, but there were so many options I didn't dare change anything.

jocke71
03-28-2015, 09:06 PM
I found the sticky thread, but the solution requires a BIOS version not available to the G75VX.
Uninstalled the Power4Gear, but now the monitor goes black every few minutes, and reactivates when moving the mouse.

Clintlgm
03-29-2015, 01:13 AM
Well with out Power4gear you will need to set your own power setting in Control Panel/Power options/advanced setting

Hamza Malik
03-29-2015, 05:54 AM
So i have like 5 usb ports in my g73jh and by experience i know they are all distinct, the middle one on the right always reads perfectly even if the device is faulty so ive named it my 'last-resort-port' while the one on the left is cranky and reads when it wants too :P
Anyways is it possible that the G75 VX has developed multiple separate problems? :P

jocke71
03-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Anyways is it possible that the G75 VX has developed multiple separate problems? :P
Unfortunately it looks like that. From now on I'm not going to use hibernation at all and reboot if necessary. If that makes one of the problems disappear, at least that's something.

Pandur
03-29-2015, 10:16 AM
If you run command prompt as administrator and input this command: powercfg -h off

This will completely disable the hibernation function. If you later on want it back just do the same with the on toggle instead of off.