PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about my G53sw

mathew07
11-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello everyone!

I have some questions about my notebook Asus g53sw-sz159v.

1) Should this notebook be loud while is not used?

2) Can I write a blu-ray disc?

3) I have problem with play blu ray movies on Cineplayer. There was similar topic - I hava black screen during playing movie. Is there any solution for that?

Greetings from Poland,
Mateusz

fuzon1337
11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Hi

As far as I know is that the G-Series is quiet until you're going to play heavy games or something in that direction.
Go to New Drivers (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers) thread, and go to "Useful Apps" and download HWinfo64, to see if your computer is running hot when no programs and such things is on.
If it is a long time ago you bought this computer I would recommend you to blow your fans with compressed air, to blow out the dust inside, and to see if that makes any changes.

Btw, is your computer up to date? :)

mathew07
11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Thanks for your reply!

I bought my computer about three months ago. I think that my notebook is up to date but maybe I'm wrong. I do what you suggest and I add screenshot from HWiNFO sensors. Are this temperatures correct? The computer is not very loud but it is irritation loudness. My friend has got G74sx and his notebook is quieter than mine.

fuzon1337
11-18-2011, 02:15 PM
There is no big difference between my Nvidia GTX 460M and your's. The only difference is the degrees, mine are lower than your's.

Have you tried to blow some compressed air into the fans to see if any dust comes out?
(If your going to do that, you have to turn of your computer so you won't harm your notebook).

Hehe, have you updated network drivers, display, intel stuff and so on ? :)

mathew07
11-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes, I updated my all drivers. I found some interesting thing. I have GPU fan loaded in 100% all the time, even when no demanding program or game is running on. In my screenshot you can see that the gpu fan has got 100% current, min and max. Is that correct? I think that someone in this topic has the same problem http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/617050-g53sw-fans-running-100-all-time.html.

fuzon1337
11-18-2011, 02:58 PM
My GPU fan is also at 100% all the time in current, min and max and doesn't experience any problem with my computer.

But I couldn't see in your screen shot about your fans RPM?
(look at mine)

mathew07
11-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I couldn't see it too. Is your computer noise? Not really loud but audibly?

fuzon1337
11-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Mine is quiet as a mouse when I'm almost not useing it, but when I play games or something that needs power, then the fans are getting noisy :P

mathew07
11-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Well, and there is my problem :P My notebook isn't quiet while I'm not useing it .... And I don't know what to do. Maybe should I send it to service? It's really uncomfortable for me.

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Well, and there is my problem :P My notebook isn't quiet while I'm not useing it .... And I don't know what to do. Maybe should I send it to service? It's really uncomfortable for me.
Ask a few friends what they think. Most people have been around a variety of laptops, so get some other opinions on whether your particular laptop seems excessively loud.

mathew07
11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Good point. I will do that. But what if they said the same like me? Uch :/

BrodyBoy
11-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Then I'd assume something might be wrong with it. Perhaps it runs too hot, causing the fan to run on high all the time. Or maybe something's just wrong with the fan itself.

EDIT: I know it's a pain in the butt if you've already installed a bunch of programs and/or data on your laptop, but I'd suggest either a factory restore or a clean installation before sending it in for service. That should help determine whether this is a software issue, i.e., if the fan controller is messed up somehow.

mathew07
11-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for help. I consider all the options and then I choose what to do :)

mathew07
11-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I have one more question. Maybe I installed wrong graphic driver? Can you tell me how to reinstal it step by step? I know it's simple but maybe I done something wrong. I would like to reinstal it first - I hope it will help.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 01:46 PM
It's virtually impossible to install the wrong graphics driver. Lol

Just execute the installer, and let it go.

Which version do you have?

mathew07
11-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I have 285.64 version. I meen that maybe the process of instalation was wrong. I uninstall my old driver before install the new one. Look at temperature of GPU while notebook is not used - it's 48 C.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Blow out your exhaust vents with compressed or canned air.

When you install an nvidia graphics driver always select "Clean Install"

What are you trying to play BluRays on? Which player?

mathew07
11-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm trying to play Sanctum or Pince of Persia. I used Cineplayer wchich was added with the computer. It's weird because I download from internet Corel WinDVD Pro 11 trial version and I can watch all movies without any problems.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Well, a lot of people have trouble with that player. Send a pm to gary_ley@ASUS and complain to him about why asus inclues crap software that doesn't work.

Those games are sort of old, aren't they? It shouldnt matter if the driver is a bit older. Try running 285.38 beta. They have been the most stable for me. Do an uninstall of nvidia graphics driver, boot ito SafeMod, use DriverSweeper and clean nvidia. Then restart into Windows and install 285.38. Rrestart again.

Good luck!

EDIT - if you can't install that driver, go HERE (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x64/285.38/disclaimer) and download a modded version that should install.

mathew07
11-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Ok. I will do that in 10 minutes. I have additional question: is there option to write Blu-ray disc on my notebook? Or only read it?

EDIT:
Well, when I write Pirnce of Persia and Santcum I mean a movies :) I try to watch this movies in Cineplayer. I'm not sure if this driver (285.38) help me because I would like to play battlefield 3 wchich requires the latest driver... So what should I do?

fuzon1337
11-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Go to controlpanel -> programs -> uninstal a program.
When you are in there, you find the Nvidia drivers, and on the right for the program, ther you can read which version you got :)

mathew07
11-19-2011, 08:06 PM
??? I know which version I've got. But I'm not sure if I install version 285.38 beta I could play Battlefield 3? Now I have 285.64 version.

fuzon1337
11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
(Then I missunderstood your last question :p )
Hmm, with that version you got, I would say that you can play BF3 without any worries about downgrade your graphics driver :)

Have you bought that game ? Or are you going to do it soon? :)
(If you got it, you can try how good it is on your computer :D )

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I have additional question: is there option to write Blu-ray disc on my notebook? Or only read it?
I just googled your model, and all the results came up in Polish! So clearly, that must be a configuration specific to your region. Go ahead and google your model number yourself and find a listing that includes specs.

If you see something like BluRay/DVDRW or BD Combo listed for the optical drive, it's a BD player only (though it read and write DVDs and CDs). If you see BD Writer or BD Burner listed, you can read and write to all media, including blu-rays.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 08:40 PM
http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G53SW/

mathew07
11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
BrodyBoy: Ok. Thanks for your help - I have unfortunately only BD player :)

fuzon1337: I bought it ;) and it's fantastic. But I would like to install older graphic driver (285.38 beta as JRd1st advises) to have less graphic card temperature while doing nothing on my computer. I would like to do that because while nothing is on I have 48C GPU temperature and I think it's too high.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
I don't know what's normal for your GPU in your notebook. It's a smaller notebook, and the cooling isn't as awesome as the G74, and I believe that the 460m gets hotter than the 560m for some reason. My, gpu, just now is 38C so yours is only a little higher. What counts is how well your cooling works under load.

mathew07
11-19-2011, 11:00 PM
I think that I have the same problem as here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5523-G53sw-fan

dstrakele
12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Welcome, Anene! You're in the right place if you're looking to learn. I've learned more about laptops here in the past 3 months than in all the previous years of my life (and I am not young).