PDA

View Full Version : G73jh BIOS fan setting

Aibee
11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a G73jh and I updated my bios to 211 recently, and I found out that the fan setting have been changed from bios 209, which the fan speed runs at 30% all time. I wanted the quiet bios 209 one so I back flash the bios from 211 to 209, but the fan setting doesn't seem to be changed back to the bios 209 setting and the fan is still running at 30% all time.

I have loaded the optimized defaults in BIOS already but that didnt work, so is there anything I can do to get back to the bios 209 fan setting?

Thanks for reading my problems !

fuzon1337
11-17-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure how to change the fan speed, but you can try to use MSI Afterburner (http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/index.htm).
I've only read about this program and have not tried it, but it seems that you can change/take control of the fans for the GPU.

Perhaps you can wait to see if other members in this forum would reply to help you out :)

chandalen
11-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I had to RMA due to a totally dead laptop. The replacement part seems to have the fans on at 100% all of the time. I have found no way to change this. BIOS is updated (205). ALSO the computer shuts itself down after 5-10 min if the lid is closed. I have gone into all the power management and turned off that feature.

Thanks

Aibee
11-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Anyone else got this problem? I was thinking back flash to bios 203 or 205 and then flash to 209 again... Will it solve the problem i'm having right now :(? someone please help !

Josea
11-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Aibee, What program are you using to determine that the the fans run at 30%? I would recommend using either the 32 or 64 bit version of HWINFO... and only look at the RPM, mine has reported 30% since new so I know this is not accurate.
I would recommend staying on BIOS 211 or 213, I want my fans to run as desinged to keep the GPU cool during long Need for Speed gameplay as well as everyday use.
Posted are my g73JH idle temps

Josea
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I had to RMA due to a totally dead laptop. The replacement part seems to have the fans on at 100% all of the time. I have found no way to change this. BIOS is updated (205). ALSO the computer shuts itself down after 5-10 min if the lid is closed. I have gone into all the power management and turned off that feature.

Thanks
Please try the HWinfo software as I recommended to Aibee to check RPM. Remove power-4-gear and use a standard windows power scheme to fix the lid close issue. Let us know.

Aibee
11-18-2011, 11:15 AM
This is my temps, the right fan (GPU one) really has a audible sound which i can notice it from 3 steps away from my laptop. I didn't have this problem with BIOS 205 and 209 i switched from 205 to 209 it's because the fan goes full speed after waking up from sleep, and as you can see the temp on my GPU is 58'C with the bios 209 right now but after switching to bios 211 the gpu temp is still around 58~64'C when i'm just browsing the interenet, no gaming at all.

Josea
11-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes Aibee, you idle temp is on the high side, if your ambient temp is ~20 C or less. Has your GPU been repasted recently? If not I would try that.

Aibee
11-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, i repasted about 2 weeks ago when i installed SSD and new RAM sticks for my laptop. Anything else i can do to get back to my silent and quiet G73 like before :(?

Aibee
11-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Just back flash my bios to 206... and the fan is still the same, I will clean my fans tomorrow and inside the laptop to see if that solves the question, gonna repaste with MX-4 this time. But if anyone had this kind of issue before please help !!!

fostert
11-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I agree that if indeed those temps in the HWInfo screenshot are @ idle, then they are very excessive. My normal idles are ~40C (CPU)and a couple degrees less for the GPU (37C). Room temperature is 22C (dunno what that is in F, but hey, you're Canadian too!). Here are some thots:

Doesn't MX4 have a long cure time (200+ hours)? You might see temps drop a few degrees after a bit.

Sounds like your seating of the HS against the chips is either canted/skewed, and/or theres alot of air bubbles trapped in between. A reseat might help.

Its also possible that you used way too much paste. The layer should be thin enough to just barely be opaque (i.e. non-transparent). Less is more.

Finally, if you're gonna repaste, try a paste like Shin Etsu-X23 7783 which is top-shelf (better than MX4) and has a very short cure time (~4-6 hours).

Just throwing ideas out to you.

Aibee
11-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I agree that if indeed those temps in the HWInfo screenshot are @ idle, then they are very excessive. My normal idles are ~40C (CPU)and a couple degrees less for the GPU (37C). Room temperature is 22C (dunno what that is in F, but hey, you're Canadian too!). Here are some thots:

Doesn't MX4 have a long cure time (200+ hours)? You might see temps drop a few degrees after a bit.

Sounds like your seating of the HS against the chips is either canted/skewed, and/or theres alot of air bubbles trapped in between. A reseat might help.

Its also possible that you used way too much paste. The layer should be thin enough to just barely be opaque (i.e. non-transparent). Less is more.

Finally, if you're gonna repaste, try a paste like Shin Etsu-X23 7783 which is top-shelf (better than MX4) and has a very short cure time (~4-6 hours).

Just throwing ideas out to you.

Okay, so i have done the repaste with MX-4, the MX-4 doesn't have cure time, (200hour cure time is AS5)

I also reseat the HS and took the fan off to clean the whole thing.

After all that my CPU is idle @ 49C but GPU is still at 56C-58C... How did you get yours to 37C?

Yeah ! Canadian ! :)

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I believe fostert has a different GPU. AFAIK, ATI GPU's run hotter at idle.

Aibee
11-26-2011, 04:09 PM
I believe fostert has a different GPU. AFAIK, ATI GPU's run hotter at idle.

I see ;) Is there any tweak that can control the GPU temp or fan speed? I searched for a long time but couldn't find anything

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
In the power profiles you can select Passive or Active cooling policy. Passive changes CPU speed to control temp before it'll raise fan speed, Active raises fan speed first before slowing the CPU.

fostert
11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I see ;) Is there any tweak that can control the GPU temp or fan speed? I searched for a long time but couldn't find anything

Yes, the G74 has an NVIDIA chip in it, though I have not heard that ATIs run hotter as a matter of course. My GPU temp is very sensitive to ambient, noticeably more so than the CPU, and I like to dock my laptop in the coolest room of my domicile, so that probably accounts for its low temp.

ATI Overdrive comes with Catalyst CC, and once you unlock it that should allow you to specify the GPU fan speed to 100%: at least thats the way it works on my desktop and HD4670 Radeon card.

Emrus
11-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Thanks

I was in the same situation with a dead laptop. And received it back with those two problems as well, aside from a cracked Swedish windows being installed for some reason :S. I didn't manage to solve the fan problem, however i did find that the reason, is that one of the temperature measures reads 6000 degrees. This also causes the CPU speed to throttle down to multiplier 9, or about 40% speed. You should check if you have that problem as well. I solved it by using ThrottleStop, so it just ignores the temperatures for CPU management - but I haven't found a program that can do the same for fans.

Edit: Also a short question to rule out that it's not a problem with the replacement fans. How fast are the stock fans usually under load? My replacements are running at 5100-5800 rpm at cpu and 5300-6000 rpm at gpu always.

JRd1st
11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
6000 degrees? Holy crap!

INzider
11-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Get a refund, G73 are disaster!

JRd1st
11-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Get a refund, G73 are disaster!

Seems like the ATI chip ones are, imo.

Aibee
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
seems like my GPU still idles at 58-60C ;(
Sadly I've tried everything that I could, I have updated my vBIOS to v93, BIOS to 211 and repaste my laptop + cleaning the fans with brushes. What else do you think I can do guys :o?

Btw my CPU idles at 49-52C

fostert
12-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Could be perhaps the GPU voltage is too high? I have an ATI 4670HD desktop card that I OC'ed using RivaTuner. Once I read and exported the BIOS of the card from GPU-z, I could load it up in RivaTuner and noticed that all my voltages were maxed out already (at stock settings), but I could drop them if I wanted to. You could try undervolting the same way (down to the limit of the card's stability under game load) and see what it does to your temps.

Otherwise, a) when you had the heatsink off for your repaste, did you notice if it was making good contact with the chip? I.e. a nice even coat of paste on both HS and chip hen you removed it? Or, b) did you check if your HS/pipe assembly was twisted or otherwise not flat? A bit of lapping of the HS might help to make better contact with the GPU chip (with less trapped air between).

Just thinking out loud. Those CPU temps are rather high for idle (my 2630QM idles at 40C at room temperature, but thats in a G74 with its good cooling system).