PDA

View Full Version : Asus G75vw Random Reboots - somewhat solved with throttlestop?

shinoyaj
04-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Hi guys im new to ROG and i just bought a asus G75vw older model 2012, no warranty and read a few forums about this laptop rebooting randomly. I was wondering if anyone out there ever got this issue fixed, not by sending it in for a replacement but actually repairing the hardware or software or what ever that's causing it to reboot. Some of the forums i read said to update the bios and i recently checked to see if it was updated it was up to 322 latest version and still cuts off randomly still. I installed a 160gb ssd and after an hour it rebooted by itself again which i thought the stock hard drive would be the problem. I really dont want to buy a new motherboard, if that's the case, for it or send it in for repair and find out it still has the same problem or the tech couldn't duplicate the random reboots and charge me for it. REALLY need HELP with this! Thanks And sorry for posting a similar thread.

Laredo250
04-02-2015, 10:47 PM
I've been having the problem with my G75VW for the past eight months, and have gotten to the point where I've just decided to live with it and use it primarily as a multimedia laptop. I had the GPU replaced under extended warranty, replaced motherboard, tried a different SSD and different HD, clean-installed Win7 64-bit and Win8.1, replaced RAM, repasted CPU and GPU, etc. It still reboots at random times - sometimes under heavy load on the GPU and sometimes almost immediately after login to Windows. CPU and GPU temps run on average around 50C. Not a speck of dust inside (I've had the thing broken down to bare parts more times than I care to think about.

ASUS support took over a month to turn around the RMA work on the GPU replacement, and it didn't resolve the problem. I bought and installed the motherboard on my own. Still shuts down. What I'm thinking now is an inherent defect in the mo-bo design, or a defect in the power adapter or shorted power jack that clips on to the mo-bo.

It's a shame - it's a great laptop still and has all the features I would want in a gaming system, but it just won't stay powered on for a predictible length of time. I'm not relegating it to the trash bin, but it has been demoted from a powerhouse gaming rig to a glorified video player.

bdawwgg
04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
I also have the G75vw do you guys care to share the specs on your motherboard etc?

From CPU-Z in the mainboard tab mine reads

Ive heard the main problem due to the MBs Do you guys have the same or differnt?
Im not sure what Year mine is or exact G75VW model i own. All i know is that i purchased it refurbished
I can submit pics of the other tabs to so we can compare our machines to see whats the same and differnt

Thanks
bdawwgg

Laredo250
04-07-2015, 02:17 AM
The only difference between yours and mine is that I have an Ivy Bridge chipset, and BIOS v.222. I still think it's a power issue and not overheating or drivers. Possibly the DC jack for the motherboard. I've tried initial-release drivers right up to the latest releases. Clean install of OS without any ASUS bloatware, still shut down at random times even with no apps running. Shuts down even if no USB devices present. Does not shut down when running on battery, though - however, I can only get about an hour's usage out of it on battery alone. Throttled down CPU - no improvement. Disabled GPU (NVidia GTX 670M) and ran on resident graphics - still shut down. Ran in safe mode - shut down.

C4RN1
04-07-2015, 05:30 AM
ROG laptops with Sandybridge have always had an issue, the g73/g53/g74 owners know about this issue.

Try to apply the appropriate fixes and see if your random reboots stop.

Here's a bunch of reading material for you

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3322-Sandybridge-Throttle-Issue-and-Workaround

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8943-G73-Freezing-Crashing-Issue-WORKAROUND-FOUND

Good luck

shinoyaj
04-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Yup I've come down to the same conclusion and that's either a defective motherboard problem or a heating issue. I noticed that when gaming it tends to reboot more often than usual, i can be watching a 2 hour movie or stream for hours and it wouldn't shut off, but the moment im gaming on it the problem begins. My theory is if i can bypass or disable the thermal trip/prochot i can prevent it from rebooting, but the thing i dont understand is why it reboots so quickly after 5 mins of gaming and normally that shouldn't be a problem. I have a netbook that can handle more gaming on a nvidia 310m than this behemoth. Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

EDIT: Found this on some other forum about the thermal trip "I have narrowed it down to the laptop mobo's thermal sensor being out of whack. As soon as i find and disable that im sure it will be fine... But where is it?? lol"

Laredo250
04-08-2015, 01:44 AM
Not sure if mine is a thermal problem. I've cleaned it thoroughly (several times), repasted the CPU and GPU, replaced GPU, etc. I ran Furmark and had the system cranked to over 80 degrees and it was stable as a rock. Sometimes it reboots moments after I log in, other times I can play a graphics-intensive game like Elder Scrolls Online for hours and not have a problem. But consistently, Elite: Dangerous crashes it shortly after starting up. Just no rhyme nor reason to when it's going to reboot.

I'll take a look through those posts, C4RN1, to see if there's anything I might have overlooked. Thanks

shinoyaj
04-09-2015, 01:26 PM
I downloaded throttlestop 600 (latest version) most people crank the settings up all the way if you read and seen videos on it. Tried the same thing and it still rebooted after several minutes, lowered the numbers halfway and my laptop haven't shut off on me since. I'm still gonna run some more tests on it and give it some time to see if it really works, I'll keep you guys updated and i'll post a image of it!

shinoyaj
04-10-2015, 04:10 AM
It's working great! so far so good went 7+ hours without reboot! test it out and let me know if it works!

unclewebb
04-23-2015, 03:41 AM
Setting Clock Modulation and Chipset Clock Modulation to those values means your CPU is being forced to throttle so it is running at approximately 25% of its Intel rated speed. This is not fixing the problem. Killing performance is only covering up the problem.

Many of these laptops had stability issues when the package C States were enabled. Disabling those made a huge difference for many people. The ThrottleStop C7 button means you still have your package C States enabled. That's not good. Click on that button and try setting that so it shows C1.

After that, set both of your Clock Modulation values back to 100% and disable BD PROCHOT so you can run your laptop at its rated speed.

If your laptop is shutting off at full load, make sure to open it up and clean it out which will improve cooling. You might have to replace the CPU heatsink with some new thermal paste. That stuff doesn't last forever. It is just basic maintenance which is necessary when you have a gaming laptop.

Bojao
10-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Hello everyone

I have had the same problem that has been described in this thread for a few months now. Used to be my g75vw would only shut down when I was playing Diablo 3 but now it shuts down when I play league of legends even. I have used Throttlestop and set it to about half its performance and it has helped me avoid a crash but it is still very annoying to play since it is simply not what I am used to.

All of the threads seem to talk about disabling c states but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. I am running with the latest bios and the option on Throttlestop is grayed out for me so it is always on c7.

I have cleaned it out several times and there is no problem with overheating but it just keeps shutting down on me for no reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

daleaclark
12-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Hi guys im new to ROG and i just bought a asus G75vw older model 2012, no warranty and read a few forums about this laptop rebooting randomly. I was wondering if anyone out there ever got this issue fixed, not by sending it in for a replacement but actually repairing the hardware or software or what ever that's causing it to reboot. Some of the forums i read said to update the bios and i recently checked to see if it was updated it was up to 322 latest version and still cuts off randomly still. I installed a 160gb ssd and after an hour it rebooted by itself again which i thought the stock hard drive would be the problem. I really dont want to buy a new motherboard, if that's the case, for it or send it in for repair and find out it still has the same problem or the tech couldn't duplicate the random reboots and charge me for it. REALLY need HELP with this! Thanks And sorry for posting a similar thread.

I just received a CHIPSET UPDATE in mid-December that just happened to end my problem with my computer rebooting at will ! This has been a 3 year long problem that ended overnight ! Good luck with yours...
dale

WynnB
12-22-2015, 03:08 PM
I just received a CHIPSET UPDATE in mid-December that just happened to end my problem with my computer rebooting at will ! This has been a 3 year long problem that ended overnight ! Good luck with yours...
dale

Which chipset update did you find that fixed the issue?

The asus site still seems to list:

Version V9.3.0.1020

Description Intel INF Update Driver
File Size 2.87 MBytesupdate 2012/03/02
Download from Global

Was there a later revision somewhere that fixed this issue?