PDA

View Full Version : G550 Overheat

Tuskone
04-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Hey,

I haven't been playing for a week, and now my notebook overheats to 80-90 C and shuts itself down. Any idea why? I turned on max fan speed and it only cools the vga when the overclock window is on. ( The game runs in the backgrond, as in windowed full-screen) As soon as I go back to it increases 10C.

Is this something wrong with the new Geforce Experience? Windows update?

hmscott
04-03-2015, 12:23 AM
Hey,
I haven't been playing for a week, and now my notebook overheats to 80-90 C and shuts itself down. Any idea why? I turned on max fan speed and it only cools the vga when the overclock window is on. ( The game runs in the backgrond, as in windowed full-screen) As soon as I go back to it increases 10C.
Is this something wrong with the new Geforce Experience? Windows update?

Tuskone, if you made 3D tuning changes to the Nvidia control panel, and did a Custom=>Clean Install - your settings have been restored to default, if you had VSYNC enabled, it will now be disabled - that would show an increase in heat because your frame rate is now unlocked. Check your 3D nvidia settings.

With the new ShadowPlay you can hit Alt-F12 in game to show FPS - a good way to track unseen / unexpected changes is to see the result in FPS changes.

You can revert back to the previous good for your system driver with a Custom=>Clean Install, but again go back and set your Nvidia Control panel settings again, as they have been reverted to defaults.

Sil3nc328
10-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Hi Tuskone, i noticed my GPU is kicking up a notch when im gaming. u need to clean the fan and vents, removing the cover requires Torx screw drivers, so u probably have to buy them from an enthusiast store or ebay it. Get an airduster and maybe a toothbrush to remove the dust. If it doesnt work, u probably have to reapply thermal paste which from all the forums i read, tends to fix the problem. Cleaning the fans worked out for me quite abit but it doesnt cool as fast as it used to, so im probably going to reapply the thermal paste. Apparently the thermal paste used it most laptops are cheap gunk they dont last long and dry out fast.