PDA

View Full Version : Intel Smart (SSD caching) on a G551JM

kentich65
04-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Hello everybody,

I am a happy new owner of an Asus Rog G551JM with an 24Go SSD and 1To hard drive.

I suceeded in intalling Windows 7 64b with GPT partitions and then I want to instal the Intel Smart Response Technology (SSD caching).

I read this post : http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching
So I had instaled Intel Rapid Storage Technology but I had not the "enable acceleration" option.

I learnt that I need to be in RAID0 mode : http://www.overclock.net/t/1227636/how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation
I did what they said to me to do but in my BIOS I have not the "RAID" possibility... I have only AHCI or IDE mode...
Is my PC not compatible with RAID0 ?

I did a lot of research on my PC compatibiliy but I had not suceed in finding an answer...

Please if you have an answer to my BIOS problem (RAID missing) then help me.

Thanks in advance,

Quentin.

TheBhaal
04-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Same problem hire!!!

TeMagic
04-20-2015, 06:06 PM
RAID is a technology where two or more HDDs/SSDs are connected and 'seen' as a single drive. Raid-0 is called striping where the files are stored across the drives without redundancy and Raid-1 is where files are stored on both drives, mirroring each other. You also have Raid-0+1 where the files are both striped and mirrored. Since your computer has a single SSD and a single HDD of different size and speed, RAID is not recommended, nor used. If you swap the HDD for a second SSD of same size as the SSD that's already installed, you can enable Raid-0 on the drives for a ~100% theoretical performance gain. Then SSD Raid buffering will be enabled by the Intel RST driver by default and the Intel RST software will let you choose which buffering method to use, inl. writeback which gives best performance but at the highest risk of data corruption if there is a power outage.

Edit: seems I missed the mark here. So you want to acellerate the HDD using the SSD as smart cache? That feature should be available to us, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to set up RAID mode for the SATA interface in the BIOS. This is possible on the G751 BIOS at least. I would write to ASUS technical department and ask them to add the feature in a new BIOS revision if I were you. Sorry for the lengthy and ignorant first reply.