PDA

View Full Version : G771JM Thermal Throttling

DeOrgy
04-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Hey team, I am a recent purchaser of a Asus G771JM. I have been having a lot of fun with it, and naturally have been monitoring the laptop as I use it. I am noticing while under load my CPU is throttling significantly. For instance, playing Arma 3 I see a near constant 35-45% throttling. This is running -85Mv through Intel extreme tuning utility as well. Is this normal for this laptop? I am wondering if I may have gotten one with insufficient thermal paste or something else wrong. My temps through HWMonitor never exceed 85 on the CPU or GPU, but both stay pegged there when gaming. I didnt see any drop in temps through the undervolt while gaming.

My fan also shows 3100RPM, I wish there was a safe way to run it faster if it is capable even if it is a bit noisier. It is disappointing to have the horsepower of the 4710q and it be severely limited by the temperature/temperature management.

hmscott
04-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Hey team, I am a recent purchaser of a Asus G771JM. I have been having a lot of fun with it, and naturally have been monitoring the laptop as I use it. I am noticing while under load my CPU is throttling significantly. For instance, playing Arma 3 I see a near constant 35-45% throttling. This is running -85Mv through Intel extreme tuning utility as well. Is this normal for this laptop? I am wondering if I may have gotten one with insufficient thermal paste or something else wrong. My temps through HWMonitor never exceed 85 on the CPU or GPU, but both stay pegged there when gaming. I didnt see any drop in temps through the undervolt while gaming.

My fan also shows 3100RPM, I wish there was a safe way to run it faster if it is capable even if it is a bit noisier. It is disappointing to have the horsepower of the 4710q and it be severely limited by the temperature/temperature management.

DeOrgy, you could try dropping the multiplier's for Core 3 / 4, just for testing to start, say set them both for a max of 29x, and see if the Thermal Throttling goes away, then test increasing one or both 1x up at a time until Thermal Throttling comes back. You could also then try only dropping the multiplier on Core 4, and see if dropping it to 24x while leaving the other 3 at maximum is enough.

With tuning you should be able to maintain better throughput than letting it Thermal Throttle.

Please let us know what settings you find work best :)

DeOrgy
04-05-2015, 03:08 AM
I tried dropping the multipliers to 31x for both 3 and 4 core and now it seems to throttle about 10% under intels stress test. I am going to try gaming and see how it is. The cores seem to at least stay maxed even though it says throttling. Seems a bit disheartening to have a new laptop designed to not even be able to run at the designed capacity of its hardware. Thanks for the extra tip though, Ill keep playing with it, maybe even attempt some more undervolting with the reduced multiplier.