PDA

View Full Version : G74SX boot issue......after S.M.A.R.T message and drive error check

marroon69
04-06-2015, 08:01 PM
So I got a S.M.A.R.T message telling me I needed to run the Driver Error checking routine ( do not remember the message) but the machine would continue to boot and run fine. Well I decided to run the error checking routine and now I get the following message

"Reboot and Select A proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media in select boot device and hit any key"

And the machine will not boot no matter what I do.

I have purchased a recovery disk from ASUS (which seems way over priced) but now the DVD drive does not seem to read the disk. I looked through the forums I see a lot of people having issue with the DVD drive (I personally have never used it before). I tried doing everything I could, reseating it and cleaning it but still will not read recover disk. I tried the disk in a different laptop and it booted to the tools fine.

So now to me question, is there a way to transfer the disks I have to a USB drive and make it bootable. I did a little research and Microsoft has a tool that will make a bootable USB but it requires Windows ISO file (which is not on the disk) to create. I do not need the DVD drive (well I guess other then this) so I do not want to buy another one if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated