PDA

View Full Version : Black screen after windows 7 logo in boot up

kxrider85
04-07-2015, 04:46 AM
First of all, since I have built my computer a few months ago and installed windows 7 Pro on it, I have had a TON of problems with shutting down and sleeping my computer. Anyway, last night I was shutting down my computer as I usually do before I go to bed and I ended up hard shutting it down because it would not turn off. Pretty normal (for me). The only notable difference I detected was the fact that it was stuck "logging off" instead of "shutting down" as normally happens. This morning, I turned on my computer and after the "starting windows" screen disappeared for the log-in screen to take its place, OS just went to sleep. The computer LEDs were still on and my fans were running as normal but there was nothing I could do to get it working again and when I tried to run the system recovery program windows prompted me to do on boot, my keyboard failed to detect in windows so I am pretty much stuck now and do not know what to do. Please help!
Thanks in advance!

Nate152
04-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Hello kxrider85

I remember helping you overclock your cpu and you were talking about getting another gtx 760 for sli.

The first thing to try is clearing the cmos or resetting the bios to defaults. If this doesn't help to save a bunch of hassle trying this and that a windows reinstall might fix you up.

kxrider85
04-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Whoa! Clearing the cmos worked! The question I have now is why that worked. What does my BIOS have to do with booting into windows? Overclocking? It just seems like a weird solution to a problem like this.

P.S. You helped me overclock my CPU, talk about getting another 760 for SLI, AND diagnose the problems with the two faulty Maximus VI Extremes I tried to use when building my PC.

Nate152
04-07-2015, 09:31 PM
That's good clearing the cmos worked. Your overclock must have been unstable as to why you were having issues, you might have been right on the edge of stability.

kxrider85
04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Okay then! Thanks for everything Nate. I will work on getting more stable overclocks soon.

Nate152
04-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Sure, If you'd like we can try again.