PDA

View Full Version : HDD/SSD in the Optical Drive bay - G751 - need help.

Digranes
04-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Hey ROG Forum users!

I have the Asus ROG G751 laptop and I am considering ditching my Optical Drive for a HDD or SSD using a HDD/SSD Caddy I've found cheap on ebay. Question is, is the SATA connection where the Optical drive is SATA II or SATA III - if it's SATA II I have to go for a HDD, if it's SATA III I'll go for a SSD. Anybodo know?

-Digranes-

bluebubblea
04-07-2015, 01:39 PM
It's SATA II.
If you use HDD, max read/write speed is around 120 MB/s
If you use SSD, max read/write speed is around 250 MB/s

I would prefer SSD although I can't get the best speed of SSD.
HDD produces so much noise for me while SSD is so quiet.

Corporal
04-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I have a second 1TB HDD in the Caddy, set up in a RAID 0 together with 1TB HDD that came with the laptop. Sequential Read/Write is around 290 MB/s for this 2TB striped volume.

Digranes
04-08-2015, 02:46 AM
I have a second 1TB HDD in the Caddy, set up in a RAID 0 together with 1TB HDD that came with the laptop. Sequential Read/Write is around 290 MB/s for this 2TB striped volume.
That is GENIOUS! Diddn't even think of that - Thanks! :D Now I just have to find the same drive that is in my system for sale somwhere :P Also considering running the M.2 / SSD combo in the left bay. Got my system with the SanDisk X300s SSD, and without its casing it's small enough to fit both the SSD and a M.2 drive in the left bay :D

-Digranes-