PDA

View Full Version : G751J - Delete recovery partition, but keep ASUS windows image?

andreacos92
04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Hi all :)

Anyone managed to delete the recovery partition in the new ROGs?
I have done the backup on a pen drive using Backtracker, but the option to delete the partition is missing. Tried all the versions of Backtracker.

I have a G751JY-T7134H, that comes with a 128GB SataIII SSD, partitioned as well by Asus

Partizione ### Tipo Dim. Offset
---------- ----- ---------------- ------- -------
Partizione 1 Sistema 100 Mb 1024 Kb
Partizione 2 Riservato 128 Mb 101 Mb
Partizione 3 Primario 107 Gb 229 Mb
Partizione 4 Ripristino 12 Gb 107 Gb

I tried to delete the recovery partition, the last one of 12 GB, using easeUS Partition Master first and the Windows8 bootable USB pen drive later, but with the same result: if I delete the recovery partition, Windows can't boot anymore and it's not possible to repair it because the repair utility finds no Windows installation... so I was forced to restore all using the Backtracker pen drive.

I read this post by @hmscott http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one&p=433539&viewfull=1#post433539
He deleted all the partitions on his SSD (except the Windows partition of course) with no problems, including the System and the Reserved partitions (100Mb and 128Mb)... I want to try the same too but I'm not convinced.
Maybe it's not possible delete this partition on the G751? :eek:

ciccio80
04-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Hi, I too am interested on how to delete the recovery partition on asus G751. Backtraker (all versions I tested including 308,307,306 and 304) simply do not display the option "delete backup partition" as stated on the asus Backtraker page.
Since my SSD is only 128Gb, I NEED those extra 12Gb.

nice.lw
04-08-2015, 06:22 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55668-Share-Recovery-Partition-for-G751JY&p=481295&viewfull=1#post481295

ciccio80
04-08-2015, 06:45 PM
@nice.lw
I know how to format a SSD and install a clean Win partition.
But this is not the topic of this forum, please stick to the question. We need to know how to safely delete the recovery partition on the G751JY as it is, if possible. Just deleting it with an external program causes Windows to fail to start afterwards. I contacted Asus on the topic but they didn't rerspond or now.

nice.lw
04-08-2015, 06:50 PM
This option only when u be install windows from independence windows dvd installation disc ...

ciccio80
04-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I am doubtful about your statment, there must be a way to delete it safely. Can't imagine that there is NO possibility in Windows to do so. Surely there is a way, we just need someone with better expertize than ourselfs ;)

nice.lw
04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
No is not possible, because is secure partition and windows not give u access to delete this partition ...
It is possible to delete but u not be able to use this part of the partition until a clean windows installation ...
Better idea is download exactly the same windows version and install like a clean system after that install only drivers from pen-drive and problem is sorted ...
If you install exactly the same windows u not be get any problem with activation, in BIOS is saved 'key" to your system ...

andreacos92
04-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi nice.lw, thank you for your replies.
We know that we can delete all the partitions and do a clean install of windows, but this is not what we want. We want to maintain the Asus Windows installation, and delete just the recovery partition.
The problem I experienced is that Windows fails to start after I deleted the recovery partition, even before I merge its 12GB in C:.

I can't understant why Windows isn't able to boot if that partition is missing, because in other PCs (in rog G750 too) the recovery partition can be safely deleted.

ciccio80
04-09-2015, 09:51 PM
I would also welcome a way to "reduce" the recovery partition, without deleting it, if that meant keeping windows running while also gaining some Gigabites. Even if that would make the recovery partition unusable...(since I have a a copy on USB pen).

bahnzii
04-09-2015, 10:56 PM
First off, don't attempt this unless you know what you are doing :)

I use G-Parted to create/delete/expand/contract/etc...partitions on any new Windows laptop/drive I acquire.
For the record, I have used this on Asus/MSI?alienware laptops (with no problems) to remove the partitioning that so many of them do by default.

I haven't looked at the layout as to where the 12gb recovery partition is in relation to C: (I removed D: and expanded C:) but having said that you should be able to move partitions around and then delete the recovery partition and then expand C:, etc...

http://gparted.org/

I don't have a How To doc since I've used it enough to feel comfortable, but I can look into writing something up when I have some time.

In short, make a backup of your recovery partition, create a bootable DVD or Flash drive with G-Parted, boot your laptop with G-Parted, analyze your drive & partition layout, make the mods to your partitions that you desire, then you have to commit those changes...that's when G-Parted actually does the work, the rest of the time it is just in essence recording all of your "changes" and giving you a visual representation of those changes.
Cheers!!

ciccio80
04-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Thank you bahnzii for your reply. I used G-parted a lot too in the past (with win7). Always worked like a charm for me, great application.

But in this case I am afraid to use it just to delete the backup partition and expand the d: drive on those 12Gb. That is because other people (including the guy who started this thread) who tried to do this (admittedly not with G-parted, but with other applications nevertheless) found themselfs with a Windows that would not boot afterwards. At the moment I have only an internet Key connection with a monthly Gb plan, so if something goes wrong I would have difficulty to download all the windows updates and programs again.
Do you have a G751JY? Did you try deleting the recovery partition with G-parted yourself without Windows beeing unable to boot afterwards?

andreacos92
04-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Bad news.. yesterday I did some tests.

First of all, I did an image backup of my whole SSD (all four partitions) with clonezilla, so I can restore my PC as it is now and not with Backtracker.

Then, I tried to remove the partition with diskpart command "delete partition override", but I have no success:
(cmd didn't let me copy the text..)

So, I downloaded gparted, made a bootable usb drive and reboot in gparted live, there I could delete the partition without problems, but when I restarted the PC, Windows failed to start:

Why the recovery partition is "a required device" for Windows to start? How Asus installed Windows in these Pcs? :mad:
However, then I tried to repair the Windows installation with the Windows 8 installation media.
First, I tried with the automatic repair, and then I tried the commands "bootrec /fixmbr", "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /scanos" and "bootrec /rebuildbcd".. obviously no success, I had to restore my whole SSD image with clonezilla (it worked fortunately).

Last, I did an other attempt.
I did a backup image of my C: partition only using clonezilla, then I deleted all the four partition in my SSD and I installed a clean copy of Windows8 using all the space on the SSD. All worked until now.
Then, I tried to restore my backup image of C: over the new C: partition that I created with the clean install.
The restore worked well, but Windows failed to boot, this time with the error 0xc000000f.
I tried the automatic and the manual repairs with the Windows8 installation media, but no luck.. and I had to restore my whole SSD image with clonezilla, again.

I don't know what to think anymore.
If anyone have some ideas, I will try, but I'm starting to think that the recovery partition is untouchable.
Only solution is to made a clean install of Windows, but it's not what I want now.

ciccio80
04-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Thank you, I think you tried all of the common (and some lessl common) methods.
If this still does not work, I don't know what will. But there must surely be a way. Hope we figure it out sooner or later :)
I asked Asus, but they didn't respond.

bahnzii
04-11-2015, 09:45 PM
I do have a G751jy and I have not yet deleted the recovery partition. I'll have to do some research and see why it seems to need it.
Perhaps it because we have and OEM install of Windows and not a consumer version??
I will ping back if I find anything...

hmscott
04-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Thank you, I think you tried all of the common (and some lessl common) methods.
If this still does not work, I don't know what will. But there must surely be a way. Hope we figure it out sooner or later :)
I asked Asus, but they didn't respond.

ciccio80, this is interesting, this hasn't been the case with other reports from G751 owners. Before your post everyone that has used a diskpart delete override - or another deletion method - while booted on the same HDD/SSD reported it worked.

I would suggest using your Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive to restore the out of the box install again on a new/different HDD/SSD, and then try the deletion again - perhaps some Windows update or other install caused this situation.

Please come back and let us know what you find :)

andreacos92
04-12-2015, 08:55 AM
I do have a G751jy and I have not yet deleted the recovery partition. I'll have to do some research and see why it seems to need it.
Perhaps it because we have and OEM install of Windows and not a consumer version??
I will ping back if I find anything...

Hi bahnzil, I also think that Asus OEM install of Windows requires the recovery partition, for some unknown reasons.
If you find something let us know, I will try other methods

ciccio80, this is interesting, this hasn't been the case with other reports from G751 owners. Before your post everyone that has used a diskpart delete override - or another deletion method - while booted on the same HDD/SSD reported it worked.

I would suggest using your Asus Backtracker recovery flash drive to restore the out of the box install again on a new/different HDD/SSD, and then try the deletion again - perhaps some Windows update or other install caused this situation.

Hi hmscott, I already tried to delete the recovery partition immediately after restoring with Asus Backtracker flash drive.. Windows didn't boot with the same error 0xc0000225.

ciccio80
04-12-2015, 03:54 PM

Hi hmscott .
I actually didn't even try to delete it mysel since andreacos92 reported many failed attempts to do so. Unfortunatelly for me, at the moment I have only an internet key (no ADSL) with limited download capability, so I can't risk doing "experiments". If the pc doesn't boot, I would find myself in big trouble being able to reinstall the old asus partition but no way of updating all the windows stuff. At the moment I need a 99.9% working solution.

hmscott
04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Hi hmscott .
I actually didn't even try to delete it mysel since andreacos92 reported many failed attempts to do so. Unfortunatelly for me, at the moment I have only an internet key (no ADSL) with limited download capability, so I can't risk doing "experiments". If the pc doesn't boot, I would find myself in big trouble being able to reinstall the old asus partition but no way of updating all the windows stuff. At the moment I need a 99.9% working solution.

ciccio80, then at this point, don't delete it :)

This used to be the 100% working solution, delete override the partition and absorb the freed up space into the C drive. This problem is new.

I guess you can't try these, but maybe someone else can and determine a procedure for you and others to follow:

Can I fix error 0xc0000225 without reinstalling Windows? - green check answer looks good, note setting partition active for BCD focus
http://superuser.com/questions/815267/can-i-fix-error-0xc0000225-without-reinstalling-windows

Error 0xc0000225 Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/error-0xc0000225-windows-81-pro-64-bit/46cdeae9-aa32-4c51-9c9b-aa7576545b19

ciccio80
04-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Well, I want to delete it since I have only a 128Gb SSD (12Gb can make a difference there ;)
In the future I will probably buy a 512Gb SSD SATA3 and make a clean install (no need to actually spend premium money for M2 SSD since the difference in performance is only on paper fot the things I use my G751 for).
Thx for the links thou. Maybe someone will figure it out soon.

P.S. someone knows how to mantain the asus loading screen at the boot of a newly installed Win8?

GhostriderZ85
04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
I don't know why you want to go through all of this hassle, you can just easily use asus backtracker to save the image to a flash drive, then do a clean install, way easier than going through all this hoops.

The asus loading screen will stay whether you do clean install or not, it't not part of the windows install, it is saved to the uefi, you won't lose it unless you modify the uefi/bios.

ciccio80
04-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Nice to know, thx

bubble1973
04-19-2015, 06:14 PM
For me personally it is also not inacceptable if Asus provides the tool "Backtracker" which is not working as documented: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/

I donīt feel comfortable if I have to laptop with 1500€ and have to spent hours for setting it up as requested. I canīt understand why they split SSD into two partions??

ciccio80
04-19-2015, 06:29 PM
For me personally it is also not inacceptable if Asus provides the tool "Backtracker" which is not working as documented: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008647/

I donīt feel comfortable if I have to laptop with 1500€ and have to spent hours for setting it up as requested. I canīt understand why they split SSD into two partions??

Exactly. On the support page Asus clearly states that the Backtraker app can delete the recovery partition. When I asked them, they first responded to try and use an older version. I tryed all of them an none have the option enabled to delete the recovery partition. I asked again, but no response this time. Very rude of them.

hmscott
04-20-2015, 06:31 AM
Exactly. On the support page Asus clearly states that the Backtraker app can delete the recovery partition. When I asked them, they first responded to try and use an older version. I tryed all of them an none have the option enabled to delete the recovery partition. I asked again, but no response this time. Very rude of them.

ciccio80, I doubt they are trying to be rude, but instead are waiting for an answer to their escalated question, they also get off for weekends ;)

The Backtracker app needs to support lots of other laptops too, and there are options for other laptops that don't show up on the G750 and I am assuming for the G751 - like whether or not to make 2 partitions per mounted volume - on the G750 you don't get the choice.

It's too bad there is a glitch in deleting the recovery partition, but keep asking - send more than one email / start another conversation / until you get what you are asking for - escalate to get the option fixed.

If you don't have any success going through the support TL, PM cl-albert and ask for support assistance.

Please let us know how it works out :)

Nomad101
08-13-2015, 03:13 AM
Hi I just did mine last night on Windows 7 home edition I had the same problem I only had 3gig left on my C drive so needed more space I found http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html All I did was merge C drive into Recovery click ok, then bios window comes up moving files but then it stopped after the first transfer waited for a few miniutes but nothing was happening couldn`t turn off or reboot so I just took the battery out, put back in rebooted and whaalla! I have an extra 11Gig on my C drive with a separate Recovery drive and you can delete that too if you want, no problems this morning works wonders, I didn't worry too much about the freezing up earlier because I was ready to do a fresh install but now I have extra room I will leave it till i get Windows 10 and looking around that too has the same problem with the recovery drive, good luck.

ciccio80
08-13-2015, 06:14 AM
@ Nomad101
I think the problem we are discussing here is related to the Win 8.1 x64 version of the preinstalled windows (Win7 is another story).
Interesting btw, 'till now no one found a solution to this problem and Asus hasn't updated it's "backtracker" software to make this work. I think the only way to malke space is to install a clean Win 8.1.