PDA

View Full Version : Cant Remove Battery (G751) - Installing HDD

kalkethar
04-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Hello,

if i shutdown Windows with shutdown -s -t 0 and then installing another HDD, is this Safe without removing the Battery?

NitroX
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Yes it is perfectly safe... Do you think that ASUS would have made a special maintenance cover for the HDD/SSD, and then just force you to disassemble your notebook in order to remove the battery so you could install the HDD/SSD? This is just like asking if it is safe to plug in or remove an USB device -_- ... Sorry for my harsh answer but it is a matter of common sense to ask questions without even going for a google search before. Or even use logic for a matter of fact.

hmscott
04-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Hello,
if i shutdown Windows with shutdown -s -t 0 and then installing another HDD, is this Safe without removing the Battery?

kalkethar, it's a reasonable question :)

One can assume there is consideration for replacement of disk and memory without the ability to remove the battery, and there is. We asked Asus and they said as long as you have powered down the laptop then it is safe to swap the memory and storage devices - HDD/SSD.

Honestly I don't know, I do know the USB port is hot powered when powered off - it's an option in the BIOS and there is a Windows systray app - Asus Charger+ that enables the right front USB port to delivery charging power to devices even with the laptop powered off.

If it was me, I would want to pull the battery cable, but as I recall it isn't accessible without removing the top plate, so it's really not doable.

Asus could add a battery kill switch inside the access panel for future models, so that you can cut the power from the battery before unplugging / plugging in new hardware.

This is the correct syntax for the Full / non-hybrid shutdown:
shutdown /s /t 0

Since I have an SSD boot, I disable FastStart, Hibernation, and Pagefile (over 8GB you should be ok without a pagefile), so all Shutdowns that I do are full / non-hybrid shutdowns.

And, be careful not to "bump" the power button while handling the laptop during the hardware changes.

Please come back and let us know how it works out for you :)

kalkethar
04-10-2015, 10:14 AM
It worked