PDA

View Full Version : Extreme slow GPU

iraqiboy90
11-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Hello
Suddenly my GPU got all the way down from 14k score at 3dmark06 to 5k....
I was playing BF3 earlier in time with no problem, and now it lags with everything including while watching high quality videos.

Before:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/817/56201107.png

now:
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/793/sdfghj.png

Specs: (my signature)
nVidia Geforce GTX 560M 2GB 128-bit
Driver: 285.62
Powersettings: HIGH /Performance mode

The weird thing is that windows index score still shows the same score as before even after re-scanning.
And I also tried removing the driver completely with driver sweeper and re-installing the latest driver, and I got the same.

fuzon1337
11-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi

Have you tried to update/do a clean install on your graphics driver Nvidia GTX 560M, to see if that would change it?

xeromist
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Hopefully the GPU is not damaged. I would try cleaning out the drivers and re-installing an earlier version. You could also try the Windows system restore function to go back to a point where it worked (if you have it enabled).

iraqiboy90
11-19-2011, 01:25 AM
And I also tried removing the driver completely with driver sweeper and re-installing the latest driver, and I got the same.

Thanks for the replies, but I already did update my driver as quoted above.

But now, I fixed it, dont know for sure how.
Here's what I did:
Re-installing driver, and testing, no go.
Re-started, and testing with linux (i7z), no go.
Windows update, testing (i7z), no go.
turning off laptop, pull out battery, press the power button for more than 30 seconds, and entering bios to put it on default settings, and testing (i7z), IT WORKED.

i7z = just like cpu-z, this shows multipliers on each core, and it seemed like it was stuck at minimum speed. GPU, CPU, and even the soundcard was lagging.

Just to make sure this wont happen again.. what could have caused it?

fostert
11-19-2011, 02:17 AM
If the CPU multipliers were stuck at minimum (default?) values, then it could be somehow ACPI was disabled in the BIOS. Your reset to default settings probably turned on ACPI. Intel's turbo boost is dependent on ACPI, and the multipliers for the 2630QM won't exceed 20 if ACPI is not running.
However, not being a G53 owner I don't know whether ACPI is BIOS enabled in that machine or not?

xeromist
11-19-2011, 03:47 AM
Well, I was actually saying to revert to an older version, which is different than what you did, but since you figured it out it doesn't matter. :)

iraqiboy90
11-19-2011, 02:01 PM
It was stuck on 800 HZ for cpu.
but the GPU went all the way up to its maximum frequency (Everest/AID64), but still it didn't use all its power or something. Like I said, it even lagged with HD videos.
I hope there will be a new bios update getting rid of this problem forever.

fostert
11-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Don't hold your breath...we've been crying for a new BIOS for ASUS flagship model G74 for some time now to allow us to use our numlock key, to allow faster memory to be recognized, to enable ACPI, to allow control/tweaking for overclocking and/or undervolting, etc. Not a pee from ASUS, and unsure if we'll ever see one.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 03:58 PM
So lets start *****in aoput it...

Write a pm to gary_key

I just sent him this:

Hi,

I'm an owner of a G74SX-A1 and a big participator in the RoG G Series forum.

There are several issues that Asus needs to address in order to keep the G74 competitive in the gaming/benching market.

1. The BIOS needs to be edited so that numlock can be turned off. Whoever had the brain-fart that led Asus to design a keyboard for gamers with a calculator key but no way to turn numlock on/off. Originally it was worse! The numpad keys were mapped to the same keycode as the top row numbers .

2. The restritions on the memory speed, in the pnp BIOS, need to be lifted so as to allow Kingston 1866 to run at full speed with 4 stisks instead of defaulting to 1333. Supposedly, 2 sticks can run at full speed, but not 4. Chastity said she got 4 to run, but no one else has.

3. Many user/owners want to be able set the speed/clocks to allow "tweaking" . This isn't so important to me, but to many, this lack is a deal killer.

Lets not even talk about all of the quality problems, wackey touchpads, and weak
power jack pins that break if you look at them wrongly...

I won't be holding my breath, but we G74 owners would appreciate an answer and a subsequent fix.

Respectfully,

JRd1st

fostert
11-20-2011, 05:33 PM
**Thank you** JRd1st!! Thats a terrific summation of what I've been reading on these forums that most people (incl. me) want in the next BIOS update for the G74! Fantastic!

Please let me know if you get a response, and/or if another email from someone else echoing your concerns might be useful!

+1 Rep

bigmedium
11-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi, I have exaclt the same problem on my computer.

After it came back from repair the GPU has serious problems running any game or video, even youtube videos have problems.
Will try the fix, and hope it helps, its kinda useless in the state it is in now...

Edit:
Tried it, same problems still.
Went into BIOS and put it on default values.
Problems happened after the mainboard was changed (power in problem).

Anyone know any solutions?

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
I actually got a reply from Mr. Key, today! He said that he's conferring with Engineering on these issues and that he would post back with news, good or bad, as soon as he got something concrete to tell us.

Btw, this was AFTER I ordered 2 pairs of Kingston HyperX 1866. I'll either use it in this laptop or my next one. So I'm not completely crazy....

iraqiboy90
11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Hi, I have exaclt the same problem on my computer.

After it came back from repair the GPU has serious problems running any game or video, even youtube videos have problems.
Will try the fix, and hope it helps, its kinda useless in the state it is in now...

Edit:
Tried it, same problems still.
Went into BIOS and put it on default values.
Problems happened after the mainboard was changed (power in problem).

Anyone know any solutions?

Do as following:

You have to first remove the battery and AC power, press and hold the power button for about 1 minute.
Then connect ONLY the battery. Power on, reset bios to default, save settings, and test. If its still the same, turn off your laptop, THEN connect the AC power aswel, and then power on and test.
If it work, you're lucky, if not maybe you will have to flash the bios.

BTW: be sure that in the bios an option called something like this "Intel Virtualization Technology" is enabled, I think its related somehow, not sure though.

fostert
11-23-2011, 01:08 AM
I actually got a reply from Mr. Key, today! He said that he's conferring with Engineering on these issues and that he would post back with news, good or bad, as soon as he got something concrete to tell us.

Btw, this was AFTER I ordered 2 pairs of Kingston HyperX 1866. I'll either use it in this laptop or my next one. So I'm not completely crazy....

Excellent: there is hope yet that ASUS will recognize the importance of continuously supporting users getting the maximum performance on its flagship notebook.

BTW, let us know if you manage to get all 4 stix of your new Kingston HyperX PnP 1866 modules to run @1866 MHz?

JRd1st
11-23-2011, 01:32 AM
It would help if you guys made your feelings known to Asus, too. But be respectful.