PDA

View Full Version : Happy owner of an G73JH about to buy a G751JY - T7094H, but have some questions

Kommandoh
04-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I am French, so I apologize for my weak English, and I hope my questions are not too stupid. I have read a lot on this forum, but I still have some questions in mind.

I am the happy owner of an G73JH, but after 5 years the computer starts to fall apart. I plan to buy a G751JY - T7094H, but I see that there are a lot of issues with the G751 series. I know that unhappy people complain on forums, and those with a working PC just enjoy it without posting, but still…. Do you know if some the latest G751JY built are more reliable than previous ones ?

My second question is about the installed ASUS softwares: do I need to keep them or not ? I’m thinking about booting the PC to see if it works, and immediately after that, restoring the computer to factory settings to remove all the ASUS softwares. I really like to have a PC as clean as possible from useless programs.

I have also seen that there are a lot of updates to do when using the PC for the first time, like upgrading the BIOS, downloading the fixes for the WiFi and the speakers. Are there more vital things to do at the beginning ?

And last quick question : is the G751JY coming in UEFI or not ? (My model will have a SSD 128Gb, and 1Tb HD), or do I have to put it in UEFI myself ?

Thanks ! :)

Clintlgm
04-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Hello everyone,

I am French, so I apologize for my weak English, and I hope my questions are not too stupid. I have read a lot on this forum, but I still have some questions in mind.
Your English is goodI am the happy owner of an G73JH, but after 5 years the computer starts to fall apart. I plan to buy a G751JY - T7094H, but I see that there are a lot of issues with the G751 series. I know that unhappy people complain on forums, and those with a working PC just enjoy it without posting, but still…. Do you know if some the latest G751JY built are more reliable than previous ones ?I don't think we will see any changes until the next generation of G notebooks comes out.

My second question is about the installed ASUS softwares: do I need to keep them or not ? I’m thinking about booting the PC to see if it works, and immediately after that, restoring the computer to factory settings to remove all the ASUS softwares. I really like to have a PC as clean as possible from useless programs.
Yes to get a clean start you will need to do a clean Install of the OS Restoring to factory setting would put all the ASUS Crapware back on!
I have also seen that there are a lot of updates to do when using the PC for the first time, like upgrading the BIOS, downloading the fixes for the WiFi and the speakers. Are there more vital things to do at the beginning ?

Yes

And last quick question : is the G751JY coming in UEFI or not ? (My model will have a SSD 128Gb, and 1Tb HD), or do I have to put it in UEFI myself ?

Thanks ! :)

Before anything I would test test and test all your hardware Something like Burn In Test will push your CPU and Furmark will push your GPU. Hwinfo64 Sensors will read your Loads Temps and Fan speeds. If either CPU or GPU Throttle or get much past 80C the pasting is not correct.
after testing these test all your other hard ware find a benchmark program that will put your new notebook through all the hardware. if anything is not up to par you'll want know before your return to vendor period expires.

If your happy that all the hardware is working correctly. Then do your clean install of OS and reinstall required drivers and desired drivers you'll find these Here at Asus Support downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

I am linking you to to an old G75 thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)in there you will find a a list of which drivers are needed and the order you need to install them things haven't change much in this area.

Kommandoh
04-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Thank you for your answer Clintlgm ! I appreciate :)

Haha, I thought it would be easy to get rid of the ASUS softwares, but I will fight them hard ! :P

Hmmm yes it is a good idea to test my hardware more deeply. I have seen another thread where people post their results, I will be able to compare them with mine.
Thanks for both links, they will be realy useful ! I am just afraid to do all this stuff, as I'm not good in reinstalling OS / flashing BIOS. I remember I flashed the GPU BIOS of my G73JH, so I guess I should be able to handle all this...

What about the UEFI ? I've read some tutorials, it does not seem very complicated to change the SSD from MBR to GPT, but it would be nice if it was already done :D

QC_AGENT
04-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Salut,

I owned a G73 and a G75 prior to upgrade to the G751JY. The G751 is definitely a massive improvement. It outclasses the previous ones in every aspects. Look, finition, screen, colling, M2 SSD, GTX 980M, Core i7, 24GB RAM DDR3, incredible performances. I am enjoying mine with the factory windows 8.1, the factory settings, the ASUS crapware installed and original BIOS and drivers. I am playing COD Advance Warfare for hours without any problems.

You have to understand that this Forum represents the people having issues. It rarely represent the majority of satified custommers. From my part, I've got a webcam issue and got a warranty repair. It's all good now and working fine. I own it since 6 month and it did not lost any value yet. It's still the best bang for the buck.

Clintlgm
04-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Flashing BIOS should only be done if needed. Be sure to check your version and then check around and see if there are any advantages that you will need before updating. My self G75VW I updated to version 210 and did not update to Version 221 222 or 223 two reasons. First no one could tell me what worked better with the updated BIOS and 2nd lots of people were bricking their notebooks attempting to update to these later versions.
So unless you are sure you need to update the BIOS don't do it.
Your system will come UEFI your Disk/SSD GPT and you should keep it that way BIOS MBR is legacy, things from the past.
If you don't want to do a clean install. then just uninstall any software that you don't want.

Once you are sure all your hardware is good to go and your not going to have to return to seller. You should download Asus Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/)and create a Return to factory shipped state media. the link is FAQ with a link to the software.

Kommandoh
04-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Salut,

I owned a G73 and a G75 prior to upgrade to the G751JY. The G751 is definitely a massive improvement. It outclasses the previous ones in every aspects. Look, finition, screen, colling, M2 SSD, GTX 980M, Core i7, 24GB RAM DDR3, incredible performances. I am enjoying mine with the factory windows 8.1, the factory settings, the ASUS crapware installed and original BIOS and drivers. I am playing COD Advance Warfare for hours without any problems.

You have to understand that this Forum represents the people having issues. It rarely represent the majority of satified custommers. From my part, I've got a webcam issue and got a warranty repair. It's all good now and working fine. I own it since 6 month and it did not lost any value yet. It's still the best bang for the buck.

Hey salut ! :)
That's exactly what I think : people always complain when they are unhappy, but say nothing when they are happy. But you see, for me, this is a huge investment, I'm still scared. I was lucky with my G73, it lasts now for 5 years without major issues (Well...random BSOD, random freezes, USB ports are defective, keyboard is dying...). I hope this G751 will last as long as the G73 !

Flashing BIOS should only be done if needed. Be sure to check your version and then check around and see if there are any advantages that you will need before updating. My self G75VW I updated to version 210 and did not update to Version 221 222 or 223 two reasons. First no one could tell me what worked better with the updated BIOS and 2nd lots of people were bricking their notebooks attempting to update to these later versions.
So unless you are sure you need to update the BIOS don't do it.
Your system will come UEFI your Disk/SSD GPT and you should keep it that way BIOS MBR is legacy, things from the past.
If you don't want to do a clean install. then just uninstall any software that you don't want.

Once you are sure all your hardware is good to go and your not going to have to return to seller. You should download Asus Backtracker (http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/)and create a Return to factory shipped state media. the link is FAQ with a link to the software.

So basically you are both telling me that I have nothing to do with my laptop, except to check it's temperatures and performances. I'm quite relieved !
I'm buying the laptop this WE, I will continue to read the forum to see what I can do to improve the computer or solve upcoming issues.

Thank you both for your help ! I hope I won't have more questions to ask after getting my laptop haha :)

sandwich20m
04-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Congratulations in advance :) please make sure to check also if theres a dead pixel in your lcd.

Clintlgm
04-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Yes you want to identify any defects as soon as possible so that you can return it to the seller. So many people don't realize they have an issue until a month or so after they have it and by then its to late to return to the seller. Then you have to deal with Asus Repair not something you want to do!
Stress testing from the start gives you a good Idea of how this notebook is going to perform also. Its no fun when you have all your software and games install and then you find you have issues because at that point you don't know if your issues are software or hardware. By pretesting hardware when you have issues you know that its the software causing the issue.

QC_AGENT
04-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Hey salut ! :)
That's exactly what I think : people always complain when they are unhappy, but say nothing when they are happy. But you see, for me, this is a huge investment, I'm still scared. I was lucky with my G73, it lasts now for 5 years without major issues (Well...random BSOD, random freezes, USB ports are defective, keyboard is dying...). I hope this G751 will last as long as the G73 !

So basically you are both telling me that I have nothing to do with my laptop, except to check it's temperatures and performances. I'm quite relieved !
I'm buying the laptop this WE, I will continue to read the forum to see what I can do to improve the computer or solve upcoming issues.

Thank you both for your help ! I hope I won't have more questions to ask after getting my laptop haha :)

Re-salut, je suis effectivement francophone aussi ;-).

Yep! Go for it. It is a huge investment but you are getting at least what you are paying for. I don't feel fooled by the price. This Laptop is high end performance, quality and built. Should you have an issue, the return policy usually applies for 30 days and you can still get an ASUS warranty repair. I would not be worried. I actually got a warranty repair for my defective webcam, and it's all good now. I even have better performances than my PC fraggers friends. THe M.2 SSD is a monster, blazing fast loading in all aspect, huge memory, huge graphics, huge CPU, very good sound for the evening cocooning with my wife, watching episodes in the bed, very good vision in wide angle.

Yep, I am satisfied at factory settings and I am actually using the ASUS crapware. I like the Steam shortcut. I guess I am the average dude ASUS was looking for.

Being a former G73 and G75 owner, I was worried about the battery autonomy. However, the G751 has also improved in this aspect. It can last around 4 hours. I was also worried about the fact that the battery cannot be switched, however, even though I always wanted a spare w/ my previous Gs, I never bought one. So, Even if we had the option, I would not do it... It is then a non issue and a feature I don't require. Fixing the battery provided them the ability to improve the design and cooling system. Speaking of the cooling system, they got it right. It is effective and quiet. They also did not provided any air filters access. My G75 had two easy access removable air filters that I was cleaning every 6 months. It was a waste of my time since they were always pristine. I never saw any dust getting stuck into it. I conclude that the air filtering system is not that useful. The actual design do not catch dust.

My G73 is still running good. I sold it to my sister 3 years ago and she are using it for her university study. Her 14 yo son is also gaming with it. I sold My G75 to a friend in town and he enjoy it. I trust ASUS to be a good builder since they design and produce most of their component, including the motherboard.

Kommandoh
04-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Sure sandwich20m ! Thanks :)

Yes you want to identify any defects as soon as possible so that you can return it to the seller. So many people don't realize they have an issue until a month or so after they have it and by then its to late to return to the seller. Then you have to deal with Asus Repair not something you want to do!
Stress testing from the start gives you a good Idea of how this notebook is going to perform also. Its no fun when you have all your software and games install and then you find you have issues because at that point you don't know if your issues are software or hardware. By pretesting hardware when you have issues you know that its the software causing the issue.

Yes I got it, full testing ! I already downloaded 3DMark and prime95. Thanks for your help Clintlgm :)

Re-salut, je suis effectivement francophone aussi ;-).

Yep! Go for it. It is a huge investment but you are getting at least what you are paying for. I don't feel fooled by the price. This Laptop is high end performance, quality and built. Should you have an issue, the return policy usually applies for 30 days and you can still get an ASUS warranty repair. I would not be worried. I actually got a warranty repair for my defective webcam, and it's all good now. I even have better performances than my PC fraggers friends. THe M.2 SSD is a monster, blazing fast loading in all aspect, huge memory, huge graphics, huge CPU, very good sound for the evening cocooning with my wife, watching episodes in the bed, very good vision in wide angle.

Yep, I am satisfied at factory settings and I am actually using the ASUS crapware. I like the Steam shortcut. I guess I am the average dude ASUS was looking for.

Being a former G73 and G75 owner, I was worried about the battery autonomy. However, the G751 has also improved in this aspect. It can last around 4 hours. I was also worried about the fact that the battery cannot be switched, however, even though I always wanted a spare w/ my previous Gs, I never bought one. So, Even if we had the option, I would not do it... It is then a non issue and a feature I don't require. Fixing the battery provided them the ability to improve the design and cooling system. Speaking of the cooling system, they got it right. It is effective and quiet. They also did not provided any air filters access. My G75 had two easy access removable air filters that I was cleaning every 6 months. It was a waste of my time since they were always pristine. I never saw any dust getting stuck into it. I conclude that the air filtering system is not that useful. The actual design do not catch dust.

My G73 is still running good. I sold it to my sister 3 years ago and she are using it for her university study. Her 14 yo son is also gaming with it. I sold My G75 to a friend in town and he enjoy it. I trust ASUS to be a good builder since they design and produce most of their component, including the motherboard.

Tu viens d'où ? :D

I never had to remove the battery in emergency, so it's not an issue for me. I usually take care of my PC.

Are you sure about the dust ? My G73 is always full of dust, and I'm scared the G751 will be too. I mean... the G751 sucks air from outside, so dust must go inside the computer...

And yes, I agree with you ! I had to change the processor and add extra RAM to be able to play correctly, but the G73 still manages to work properly and get nice temperatures (87° for the CPU, 80-85 for the GPU) playing BF3. I guess it is nice considering that the computer is 5 years old and has not been cleaned from dust for 5-6 months.

Thank you all for your help ! There are nice people here :)

QC_AGENT
04-12-2015, 12:00 PM
Je suis du Québec et toi?

Regarding Dust, I suppose it depends of your environment. I sent my G73 to an authorised tech before selling it for a complete clean up and a thermal repaste (it is recommended after a 2 years use of your Laptop). The tech told me afterward this particular LapTop was very clean and the original paste was still looking good. But he had to do it anyway since it was opened. At least, he repasted it with a better compound.

So you did it? You got your new beast? What model exactly did you bought?