PDA

View Full Version : Reformat Issue

Panda
11-19-2011, 12:07 AM
After a successful reformat, I noticed that my 2nd hard drive isn't displayed on the Computer section but only my primary harddrive. How do I get that back and working?

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 12:36 AM
You need to go into Windows Disk Management and mark the disc as active. (Right click on it, and select that option.)

Panda
11-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Where is Windows Disk Management, I can't find it.

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 12:51 AM
In administrative tools, computer management

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Start -> type "disk" in the search bar -> Select "Create and format hard disk partitions" from the menu

You'll see a graphical representation of your two hard drives. If the data drive shows as unallocated space, you need to create one or more partitions on it. If it's just not active, right-click and mark as active.

Panda
11-19-2011, 01:05 AM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/harddrivev.jpg/

I don't what to do, it won't let me click mark as active.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Is it Disc 1 we're talking about? The one with the System Reserved partition on it?

Panda
11-19-2011, 01:08 AM
I think so.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah....I just zoomed in and got a better look. We're talking about the unallocated space on Disc 1.

Right-click on that area marked as "unallocated," and select the "create new partition" option (It might say "Create volume"....I haven't looked at it in awhile)
Windows will calculate how much space is available for a new partition, and a dialogue wizard appears.
If you want all that space to be one big partition, use the entire amount available. Otherwise, enter a lesser amount to only use part of the space.
There'll be a page in the wizard where you can give the volume a name, if you like.
After going through the wizard, hit Okay and Windows will create a new D: drive for you.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Note: Panda, if you don't want that 100Mb System Reserved partition on there, you can delete it and add that space to your D: drive. It's not critical, though.....100Mb isn't eating up much space.

Panda
11-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Well it doesn't say Create new partition/volume but it says "New Simple Volume" and when i clicked that it says to give it a letter, I want that to be D: but my dvd drive took it, how can i change the DVD to E: and make the 2nd hard drive to D:

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Right-click on the optical drive (not the big open space, but the actual label part along the left side of the graphical display) and select "Change Drive Letters and Paths."
Highlight the existing D: drive letter and click the "Remove" button
Hit okay at the warning dialogue
Right-click on the optical drive again, and again select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"
Click the "Add" button in the dialogue window
From the drop-down list, select the drive letter you want (probably E)

Now the D: drive letter is available for your new hard drive partition.

Panda
11-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I don't understand the first step :( can you explain in more detail?

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Sure.

Looking at your screenshot of Disk Management, you see Disc 0 and Disc 1, which are your two hard drives. Then right below those, you see another entry that's labeled (over in the left column) as "CD-ROM 0." That's your optical disc drive. When I said right-click on it, I mean directly on that label area where it says "CD-ROM 0."

Panda
11-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Oh I see, I thought you meant to right click on the Computer area. Ok well, I'm kind of a neat freak so how do I delete that 100 mb of partition haha!

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Ha! I'm the same way. Very easy: Right-click on it, and select "Delete Volume."

Panda
11-19-2011, 02:06 AM
It says, "Windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk."

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Is that the old system reserved partition from a previous Windows installation that existed on that drive (before you formatted it)? When I saw your photo, I was wondering how that ended up on a different disc from the OS. When you have a system reserved partition, it's general right before the OS partition, on the same disc. Can you take that partition offline? (Right-click...select "Offline")

I'd say just reformat that entire disc again.

Panda
11-19-2011, 02:16 AM
So do I just attempt to install windows again, but instead of continuing on after the partition screen, I just delete and leave?

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 02:19 AM
I just sent you a PM. :)