PDA

View Full Version : G72GX upgrade???

mzzvixen
04-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I know I’m going to get a lot of people saying :mad:WHY!! Or :mad:NO!!! but first

IT’S NOT ME!!! :p

My fiancé LOVES my G72GX laptop,
we have gamed on it since I bought it and he is comfortable on it
and I guess it holds sentimental value to him.
After many years of gaming the motherboard died.
I felt it was time for a new and improved laptop but my fiancé says no and he’s the bread winner sooo.

Now my question (or really his question) is he wants to pay to have a newer and better motherboard
and video card and more ram installed,…
is it possible?
Can I (if and when I find a motherboard and all the fixings) have it installed in the old case?

IF it is possible, what motherboard should I be looking for?
what is the most ram I can get
and the best vid card I can put in it??

please help and not comment I should just buy a new laptop ... I know it and I'm thinking the same thing but please
just offer help and not slamming opinions please.

C4RN1
04-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Sadly you're not going to be able to replace the motherboard with a different model. You'll have to stick to the g72gx board.

Ebay would be your best choice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-ASUS-G72GX-LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-60-NYHMB1000-B01-60NYHMB1000B01-Free-shipping-/331526047960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d307e08d8

As for upgrades your options are:

HDD to SSD

If you upgrade to a ssd and reload windows your boot time will be about 10 seconds or so. An ssd will improve response and preformance. An ssd upgrade would be the most cost effective.

Memory

The G72GX uses DDR2 memory, the supported maximum ram is 12gb (3 x 4gb). It wouldn't be worth maxing out the ram, one stick of 4gb ddr2 is about $100 usd. You could try to buy used ram, just make sure it's laptop ddr2 800mhz.

CPU

For processor you can go with an intel core 2 extreme such as the X9100 or T9900, I can't remember if the g72gx will support an intel core 2 quad.

GPU

The video card is a nvidia gtx 260m with a proprietary reverse mxm design, you're not going to be able to upgrade it. Just make sure it's transferring heat correctly. You can replace the thermal pads and thermal compound to make it last longer.

Here's a good post that will get you headed in the right direction.

ASUS G51 Cooling mod (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g51-cooling-mod.411871/page-12#post-8496476)

I understand the whole sentimental value of the laptop, though really it's not worth fixing and upgrading this laptop beyond an ssd. You're going to spend at least $200 to get it working with an ssd. Sit down with your fiancee and go over the price points and see what works for you.

Good luck

*edit*

I should also mention that the video card in these laptops tend to die due to extensive heat. If your video card is bad your computer will start up with the explosive rog logo sound but no video. Verify that your motherboard is bad before ordering one. It could be something simple.

mzzvixen
04-16-2015, 09:18 PM
When I tried to turn it on in America (I'm American but live in Australia, have separate cords for each country) it
started to smoke and smelt burnt, I took it to a shop where he couldn't get it to turn on at all. He suggested that
it might have fried the whole thing as it would be hard to test each component to see what was and wasn't
burnt. We got all the data off the hard drive, and I would have been happy to get a new laptop for gaming the
ASUS ROG G751 series G751JY-DH72X looks good to me!, but as I said he's attached to the G72GX laptop
and feels that as long as it doesn't cost the same as a new one it's okay
:confused:

Thank you C4RN1 for your post and suggestions