PDA

View Full Version : G551JM fans working whenever they feel like it?

xIcarus
04-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Hello.

I bought a G551JM two weeks ago and the first thing I noticed is that the laptop was overheating and the cooling fan not working.
I was ready to RMA it when it randomly started working.
I've had no problems since, the fan seemed to work properly, until yesterday when I fired up a game for the first time. The fan speed ramped up as expected, and then all of a sudden the fan stopped making the CPU throttle heavily down to 1GHz.

Now, I do not think this is a hardware issue because I managed to somewhat control the fans manually with an external program. I say somewhat because it wasn't reliable. The fans would speed up when I told them to, but then randomly shut off again.
Right at this moment for example, the fan is off and it doesn't seem to be responding to my changes in that program. Yesterday evening the fan seemed to run properly.

Has anyone had this problem before? The BIOS is already at the latest version, and I didn't see a way to control the fan inside the BIOS either. I thought about downgrading the BIOS, but it won't let me. I also tried resetting the BIOS, just in case something random had happened. But this had no effect. Do note that the fan seemed to work properly for 2 weeks. What gives?

OCFreak
04-12-2015, 08:58 AM
I've not noticed the same on mine, fans works as expected, and I've had no throttling during gaming. Under stresstesting I've managed to get some minor throttling. I have latest bios as well.

xIcarus
04-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Then it seems there is indeed a problem with my laptop. The fan just shuts off randomly.

And an update: after some more testing, I figured that there's something going wrong when the laptop starts heating up.
I basically turned the fan up to 25%. The thing is that it stays there as much as I want it to, as long as I'm not doing anything heavy like playing games. So in normal browsing situations it's fine.

I loaded up the fans to 100% and loaded up a game. It played well for a few minutes, until temps started reaching the 70 degrees range. That's when it shuts the fans off. Curiously, after 30 seconds of the fans being off they turned back up again for a few seconds then off again. The hell's this?

It still seems to me like there's a software issue, since the fans can be easily turned up to 100% and kept there. They get shut off when the temperature rises. And when the temps are high I cannot control the fan anymore. It won't respond to my commands.

Any insight as to what's going on? I've also filed a support ticket yesterday, but no response yet.

OCFreak
04-13-2015, 07:03 AM
Sure its not your 3rd party fan controlling software that conflicts with the fan control built into bios? Thus causing these issues.

xIcarus
04-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Can't be, I've noticed this problem before installing any kind of monitoring/controlling software.