PDA

View Full Version : How noisy is g751JY or JT model?

Sami1000
04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Hi! I'm considering buying either ASus G751JY with 980m, or Asus G751JT model with 970m. They cost the same, and the latter has 256gb SSD besides 1TB HDD.

Now, what i'm concerned about is how much noise does either of these models generate. I really don't like high toned fan noise, or loud fan noise in general. It breaks the immersion for me in games. Reviews said they are quiet and all, but i would still ask from users to be sure. I saw few youtube reviews where they used extreme benchmarks like furmark, and Prime95, and the system seemed to make some obnoxious fan noise. Something i would be bothered while gaming, but these are still stress tests, and doesn't give realistic load on the system, so i still don't know how much noise does these make while lower loads like playing Half life 2, FEAR 1 and 2, or Borderlands series.

Now, i can tolerate quiet whoosh noise, if its mid low toned. I don't expect gaming laptop to be completely quiet.

Also, are model with 980 and 970m the same cooling and heat wise, or is there differences?

Did anyone have any issues with temperatures, or other issues, and is Asus how good handling warranty related stuff, or replacements? i know some companies are terrible with their customer support, and i don't want to pay close 1800 and then spend nexxt month and half fighting with the company.

Thanks in advance.

doughdreads
04-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I can't speak for everyone but I'd say my (G751JT) is pretty quiet. The only games I've been playing are Skyrim, Dark Souls 2, Borderlands Pre-Sequel, Metro 2033 Redux, and Just Cause 2. I never really notice the fans at all and have never noticed my laptop get hot.

Sami1000
04-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Does those games ramp up the fans from idle state how much?

Those games are exactly what kind of i'm going to play. Can't wait to play Just cause 2 again.

I almost forgot. Which one would you pick the JY model with 980m, or JT model with 970m but it would have 256gb SSD too? Now, i wouldn't really need the best gpu. I only want low noise levels, that's all that matters to me.

doughdreads
04-14-2015, 05:37 AM
I just got done playing Skyrim for a few hours, didn't hear the fans ramp up once and the laptop is cool to the touch. I have the JT model with the 970m. I ordered mine through iBuyPower. I got a 128gb Samsung 850 SSD put in with the 1TB HDD. The noise levels on mine are basically nonexistent. Idk if you plan on getting Just Cause 2 through Steam or if you have a hardcopy but my copy through Steam randomly crashes, apparently its a known problem and is awaiting an update or something.

Sami1000
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Sounds great. Thanks!

Also, about Just cause 2 crashing, it might be because windows 8 if you have it. I haven't heard anything good when it comes to gaming with windows 8. I'm planning on buying windows 7 64bit for the laptop.

rayrys
04-21-2015, 06:00 PM
I have a ROG G751JY with 980m, 24GB RAM, 256GB SSD M.2, 1 TB HDD, stress tested for 3 days (CPU, GPU, and RAM). This machine is quiet as a mouse. I actually had to put my ear towards the back of the machine to even notice the fans were running. Buy one!