PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Fan Settins?

arrtaas
04-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to adjust G751JY fan speeds? Like give it 10% boost. I feel like sometimes the laptop could start kicking the fans earlier and that would help the cooling.

What I have found is that at first when you start the laptop only one fan works - the left one. After hard use the second one turns on. I understand that they might be trying to prolong the lifespan of these fans, but I don't really care - I can buy new fans later. Thanks!

NitroX
04-14-2015, 06:06 AM
The only way to control the fans is by using a software like NotebookFanControl . You can find more info's over here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58501-Making-of-quot-Official-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Profile-quot&highlight=notebook+control . Please take the warnings in there very seriously. This is not a 100% sure software.

And what are you experiencing with the delay of the right fan is just because the GPU fan only starts when the GPU reaches 45C (after shutdown or sleep). Once the GPU reaches 45C, the right fan starts and it doesn't stop until you shutdown or put the laptop into sleep mode. This is quite annoying because, although the notebook is more silent due to the 2nd fan not working on low usage scenarios, the temperature of the PCH (Motherboard chipset) gets very hot. I have found this just by chance because one day I have been writing on the forums and I saw that the Numpad area is getting quite warm, and then I started to check all temperatures of the components. What I saw is that the GPU had a temp of only 40-42C because the GPU heatsink is connected with the CPU one and at low usage scenarios (like writing) the GPU remains mostly under 45C (so the fan doesn't go on), BUT in AIda64 I saw that the PCH temperature reached 70C and I was like WTF!?! Then I realized that the PCH only has a passive cooling that is helped by the GPU fan for dissipating the heat. So, when the GPU fan doesn't work, the PCH temperature raises as it only gets cooled by the cooper heatsink.

Oh well, I think I have managed to bore you until now so I'll cut it straight to the solution part. As I do not recommend using NBFC in order to control both fans (for safety reasons), I would suggest a more easy and safe method to activate your GPU fan after a shutdown or sleep period. I'm also not using NBFC to control the GPU fan but instead I am stressing the GPU just a little bit when the fan is turned off in order to get the card to 45C and start the fan. You can do this by using some hardcore fullhd videos on youtube, a game, a 1080P movie (if you have a decoder that puts your GPU to work), etc. You can find your best method just by trial.

Btw, they didn't do this in order to prolongue the lifespan of the fans, they just did this out of pure stupidity. The CPU fan profile is fked up also and the GPU fan profile is annoying because of this late start point... They could just make a software to turn the fans on/off or even let us control the fans with different profiles like (gaming, multimedia, office etc.)

arrtaas
04-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Btw, they didn't do this in order to prolongue the lifespan of the fans, they just did this out of pure stupidity. The CPU fan profile is fked up also and the GPU fan profile is annoying because of this late start point... They could just make a software to turn the fans on/off or even let us control the fans with different profiles like (gaming, multimedia, office etc.)

^I loved this part.

First, thanks for the link I will investigate it, looks pretty thorough and complicated, was looking for more user friendly solution.

The way I learned about second fan not working was by troubleshooting the ****ty sound/vibration the sub woofer makes. I took of the keyboard and started the laptop without it, and saw only one fan spinning. At first i thought it wasn't working, but then launched 3dmark and it started spinning. So this is really stupid on their part. Aida64 shows 55C on PCH diode, while 38C on CPU. So yes, we do have the same problem.

I would love to see software as you mentioned which would have profiles. I had Clevo laptop before and you could max the fans with keyboard easily.

So do you actually use the NBFC?

NitroX
04-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Yep, I'm using the CPU fan profile only. That thread was started by me as you can see and I have explained a lot of stuff in there. If you want to learn a few things about the software just read that thread because I have tried to explain it as good as I could and I didn't use a very sophisticated language :P. But I would advise you to stick to my second and easier method with just stressing the GPU until the fan starts . Once the fan starts spinning it won't stop again until you shutdown or put the notebook into sleep mode.

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I changed the thermal paste and temps went down significantly. I don't think ill have to adjust fan settings anymore. Thanks for your time though!

NitroX
04-15-2015, 04:30 PM
That sounds pretty nice. What were your temps and what are the temps right now ? And also, what thermal paste did you use in order to lower the temps? I am quite interested because I do have some problems with the temps on the CPU

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 05:13 PM
ok so here is what i did:

1. Adjusted the CPU cores to 36x35x34x34 (100 mhz increase from default)
2. Decreased core by 0.80 mV
^ was done using intel XTU

3. Changed the thermal paste to IC DIAMOND 24 Karat (I had Arctix MX-4) previously. IC Diamond is super thick but i think it is actually an advantage.

Here are the pics with MX-4 / no overclock + no undervolt.

The pics with IC DIAMOND 24 KARAT / overclock + undervolt

Results are really nice and i am very happy. Undervolt gives around 2C decrease.

hmscott
04-15-2015, 05:46 PM
ok so here is what i did:

1. Adjusted the CPU cores to 36x35x34x34 (100 mhz increase from default)
2. Decreased core by 0.80 mV
^ was done using intel XTU

3. Changed the thermal paste to IC DIAMOND 24 Karat (I had Arctix MX-4) previously. IC Diamond is super thick but i think it is actually an advantage.

Here are the pics with MX-4 / no overclock + no undervolt.
The pics with IC DIAMOND 24 KARAT / overclock + undervolt

Results are really nice and i am very happy. Undervolt gives around 2C decrease.

arrtaas.that is an almost 10c difference between MX-4 and IC 24k... that seems like way too big of a difference to be due to the paste. Usually it is only a couple of degrees difference, if any difference.

Did you do anything different in re-assembly or paste application other than change between MX-4 and IC 24k? Anything that would account for the better results?

Do you have test runs from before changing from stock paste to MX-4? What was the improvement between stock paste and MX-4 / IC 24k?

Nice current temps, I wouldn't re-paste again for a while ;)

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
hmscott,

I did not believe that difference like that could be due to thermal paste, especially when they are both brand names. I've done a lot of repasting on cpus, gpus and mobile cpus and gpus.

I used Arctic MX-4 for a while now and it was my favorite. I used it on a clevo with I7- 4810mq and it was giving me temps around 85-90 C. I thought it was natural and maybe a ****ty cooler. I've reapplied it couple times to make sure i get consistent results - and i did. I applied it correctly as well, not too much not too little , pea method.

Then I tried using IC diamond 7 karat, and it was somewhat worse than MX-4, so I came back to MX-4. And thought it was top of the line. I browsed this forum and saw people using IC diamond 24 karat, and thought to give it a shot, i was skeptical though. Because 7 karat wasn't that good and thick as hell and hard to apply. So I used IC 24K, made sure it was applied correctly, since it sucks balls to disassemble and reapply thermal paste on G751. It was standard procedures, paste job, nothing extra, blow out the fans - minimum dust. And the results were surprising.

Chaning stock compound to MX-4 showed almost the same results, therefore I wasn't really satisfied.

And yes, i am not planning to take it apart any time soon again. Pain in the ass and really easy to mess something up - I already did once, had to use soldier to fix the motherboard!

NitroX
04-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Very nice results.. This is just the proof that I wanted to see since I saw the CPU temperature problems. I wonder if the guys from the service would agree to use my thermal paste if I ask them for a repaste. I don't really want to disassemble this beast by my own and risk voiding the warranty -_-

arrtaas
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
I bet any service would repaste, but they would ask for compensation. Because per their policy 90C is fine. Again have in mind that it takes around 2-3 hours for inexperienced professional to do the job. So per 50-70$ an hour, that around 150-200 for labor only. Of course official service people would know how to do it, and probably charge for only two hours.