PDA

View Full Version : G751 performance in GTA V

MorphinePG@gmail.com
04-14-2015, 02:16 AM
please share description, screenshots and videos on the topic G751 + GTA V ...specify the detailed graphics settings, every little thing, minimum and average FPS...all good people thanks in advance

rowee270
04-14-2015, 05:20 AM
please share description, screenshots and videos on the topic G751 + GTA V ...specify the detailed graphics settings, every little thing, minimum and average FPS...all good people thanks in advance

I've got the Nvidia Geforce 970m and I'm getting a average 45 fps at 1080p with virtually everything on max except shadow quality (high) and MSAA only 2x. The frame rate peaks at about 60 and can go as low as 30fps (with v-sync off - with it on it's a steady 30fps). The main limitation to enabling all these features is the 3GB of VRAM.

I also found the jaggies (popping moire effect) distracting without some MSAA enabled.

Looks great, am happy with it!

MorphinePG@gmail.com
04-14-2015, 05:47 AM
thanks for the info, good game)

qwerty25
04-14-2015, 11:45 AM
I have the 980M model and I'm playing it with 1980p default settings just adding water to very high and 2xAA , TXAA enabled.
Almost stable 60fps vsync on ..

Trying to tweak a bit more..

Please share your optimal settings terms of quality and performance thanks..

insiZion1
04-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I have 980m jy and getting constant 75fps on default. Not really messed around with any settings yet. The game runs so great I don't have to!
enjoy...this game is the rollox.

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 01:43 AM
What is the default settings? High - very high or ultra or something?

SDoern
04-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi,

ich have the G751JY with GTX980m Model and GTA5 crash in the intro. Did the game work for you ? I have installed the new nvidia driver but same problem. The crash show the message application error on GTA5.exe :-(

Sanctrum
04-15-2015, 01:32 PM
What is the default settings? High - very high or ultra or something?

That's a good point of starting the conversation WHY the developers can't use commonly understandable graphics' settings' gradation scales like: min, min+, mid, mid+, max... and they just use instead the terms: ultra, high, hyper, ultra high, very high, super mambo jumbo bull**** that are actually not comparable to each other...
So is "very high" the max ... or ultra is the max or super hyper ultra bull**** is the max???
And you can't figure it out if you actually don't posses the game and see/check what is the scale gradation naming used! PPPffff...

Max is max = nothing better is possible to set at the game. Why to complicate life? Crative marketing?

iamtanz
04-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Running great! I have G751JT, 970m stable 60 fps, get the newest nvidia driver and let the nvidia experience optimized the game for you.

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 06:43 PM
what is the difference between the default/optimized settings to ALL OUT MAX settings?

JerJer123
04-15-2015, 08:06 PM
980M G751JY here and I get 60fps most of time time with the occasional dip to the low 50s. I am very impressed with the optimization of this game.

hmscott
04-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Guys, I ran across this while looking up GTA performance, there is CPU induced lag being introduced by the Nvidia Streaming daemon - independent of GTA V, but people are noticing it after installing GTA V and Nvidia 350.12

I found what was causing my PC to stutter
https://www.reddit.com/r/GTAV/comments/32nj5x/i_found_what_was_causing_my_pc_to_stutter/

The daemon is using high CPU even while idle. Stopping it and disabling startup at boot solve the problem - not sure what you need to do to fix it if you also want to use your Shield :)

nvidia - stop streaming NvStreamSvc and disable startup

You can also stop it via the Services Manager GUI, services.msc

I also found others complaining about the daemon opening a bunch of IP connections randomly...please let us know if you see it happen.

I still want the optimization suggestions made by Geforce Experience, so I don't want to solve this by not installing GFE. I wish there was a finer grain installer that asked if I wanted Shield support.

serbicu
04-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Game runs perfect here , on gtx 980M all ultra except grass to very high,MSAA 2x TXAA,60fps with dips to 45 very rare.

Cheers.

If the game give u guys send, sont sent message ,just start the game from gtaV.exe as administrator.That did the trick for me.

qwerty25
04-16-2015, 09:24 AM
serbicu, how can u get that sort of performance ,, I'm trying to find a stable settings to stay over 60fps , but while driving fast and when there's a lot of cars it drops under 60 fps.. I don't understand what the problem is .. some say that it's the SSD samsung 840 evo , but that seems unlikely....

serbicu what hard drive you have ?

serbicu
04-16-2015, 12:06 PM
I have the 128x2 ssd m2 raid and 1TB hdd version of the 751jy.GPU is stock

The game is installed on the ssd.

Also I play with mouse & keyboard and u have to set maouse to direct imput rather than raw and the game is much smoother:)

SickboyGNi
04-16-2015, 10:36 PM
I've got the Nvidia Geforce 970m and I'm getting a average 45 fps at 1080p with virtually everything on max except shadow quality (high) and MSAA only 2x. The frame rate peaks at about 60 and can go as low as 30fps (with v-sync off - with it on it's a steady 30fps). The main limitation to enabling all these features is the 3GB of VRAM.

I also found the jaggies (popping moire effect) distracting without some MSAA enabled.

Looks great, am happy with it!

What Driver set are you using?

GTX 970m Lappy (RoG G751JT) and I've been using 347.09 as the new Nvidia Game ready 350.12 were crashing the game after 5 minutes of play.

Everything ultra same as yourself and only issue I get is flickering grass, while the Nvidia Game ready 350.12 Drivers sort out the flickering grass effects, they're not a stable driver set for my 970m.
Other than that the game plays fantastic on the 347.09 drivers.

SickboyGNi
04-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi,

ich have the G751JY with GTX980m Model and GTA5 crash in the intro. Did the game work for you ? I have installed the new nvidia driver but same problem. The crash show the message application error on GTA5.exe :-(

Try installing the Nvidia Driver set v347.09

serbicu
04-17-2015, 06:06 AM
Guys ,the Vsync in this game in broken,just turn it off.

MorphinePG@gmail.com
04-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Guys ,the Vsync in this game in broken,just turn it off.

V-Sync makes sense to include if FPS exceed the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. (For example, if the monitor 60Ghz, but the game gives 75-80 on your settings).but if fps 55-60 and drops to 45-40, the V-Sync is better to disable

serbicu
04-17-2015, 10:46 AM
I know how vsync works, but in this game is broken.With it on in GTA5 many complain that the gpu usage is 50/60% and that is not ok.Look it up .

I never play with vsync.I have the monitor OC to 100hz.

qwerty25
04-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks to the steam GTA V patch, All my hiccups and framerate dips are gone .. Now I can finally enjoy the game...
stable +65 fps on Default settings , going to crank it up some more..

rowee270
04-17-2015, 01:53 PM
What Driver set are you using?

GTX 970m Lappy (RoG G751JT) and I've been using 347.09 as the new Nvidia Game ready 350.12 were crashing the game after 5 minutes of play.

Everything ultra same as yourself and only issue I get is flickering grass, while the Nvidia Game ready 350.12 Drivers sort out the flickering grass effects, they're not a stable driver set for my 970m.
Other than that the game plays fantastic on the 347.09 drivers.

I'm at work now but i'm pretty sure i'm using the latest 350.12 drivers. (I updated the nvidia drivers when steam was decrypting my preload and didn't tweak anything). No crashing except once or twice when i was swapping between screen modes/desktop.

ghostface1
04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
i GET 60 fps on asus g751 JT with everything at max but MSAA off. but with MSAA on i get around 40fps..
Id like to overclock but dont know how

kuyajosiah
04-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I have the 980M and I get less than 30fps with GTA even with the default settings. What's wrong with my GPU settings? Shouldn't I be getting 60FPS?

MorphinePG@gmail.com
04-17-2015, 08:31 PM
I have the 980M and I get less than 30fps with GTA even with the default settings. What's wrong with my GPU settings? Shouldn't I be getting 60FPS?

980? 30 fps? I have everything on ultra, just smoothing over medium / high level - 50-60fps with a rare drop to 45-40 ... on G751JY with these settings 45-35 fps

kuyajosiah
04-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Yep I don't know what the deal is. I can never reach 60 FPS in this game. Any clue on how to fix this?

ghostface1
04-17-2015, 11:17 PM
turn off MSAA

kuyajosiah
04-18-2015, 12:24 AM
Already did that. I can never hit 60fps, even at the lowest settings. Is it my nvidia control panel settings?

JerJer123
04-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Make sure your power option is set to "High Performance".

To do this, click on the battery icon in the bottom right task bar and set it from there. If you don't see the option for it there, click "More Power Options" and it should be there.

kingjezdi
04-18-2015, 03:39 PM
not only high performance u need to plug in your Power cable

kingjezdi
04-18-2015, 03:45 PM
not only high performance u need to plug in your Power cable
wihtout that set the Nvidia GeForce Experience automatically to 30 FPS for PowerSave or "Battery Booster" only when activate it
with power u can play with higher FPS

x7007
04-20-2015, 02:45 AM
Does anyone has TDR problems/issues with NVidia 350.12 drivers ? I'm getting the ERR_GFx_d3d_init Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. . And I need to restart windows 8.1 to be able to run any 3D game again or the driver just keep failing.

MorphinePG@gmail.com
04-20-2015, 05:14 AM
Does anyone has TDR problems/issues with NVidia 350.12 drivers ? I'm getting the ERR_GFx_d3d_init Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. . And I need to restart windows 8.1 to be able to run any 3D game again or the driver just keep failing.

I faced a similar problem, I thought the matter in the driver, but after a few days my GTX780Ti burned...I hope with your GPU will be all right

greek_m43
04-22-2015, 12:47 AM
I have a G751 JT. I'm using the Nvidia Experience optimized settings. I was first getting a solid 60fps day and night, after the 2nd update it got a little worse in the day, now with the 3rd update it's around 45fps during the day and 53 at night. I don't know what changed. I get no difference when I turn off all the advanced graphics.

Edit: I am also using High Performance for my battery mode.

Setoku
04-22-2015, 04:07 AM
i was also getting ERR_GFx_d3d_init made sure the game was not corrupt in some way then send a ticket to rock star
glad to see im not the only one getting this others are saying its hardware i dont believe so tho

Boxis
04-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Anyone is experiencing micro-stuttering after like 30-60 min of playing ? I am having stable 60 fps on custom settings but after a hour I get serious stutter and fps drops.

HulkSmash
04-22-2015, 07:31 PM
i was also getting ERR_GFx_d3d_init made sure the game was not corrupt in some way then send a ticket to rock star
glad to see im not the only one getting this others are saying its hardware i don't believe so tho

I also got the error, and saw a thread on it in a different website earlier this week, so I don't think it is directly related to hardware. Maybe drivers?

And I have not experienced any fps slowdowns or stutters as the game progresses, like some people here have. Maybe roll back your drivers, or rather update it if you haven't done so?

Also, Setoku, which G751 version do you have, and is it overclocked?

Setoku
04-23-2015, 03:35 AM
HulkSmash
I have the g751JY 980M its not overclocked no need it runs everything on ultra no need to overclock yet

qwerty25
04-23-2015, 04:02 AM
HulkSmash
I have the g751JY 980M its not overclocked no need it runs everything on ultra no need to overclock yet

How do you do that? Could you tell me have you made a clean install of windows? what are your exact graphic settings? what is your hard drive?
The fps range you have during rush hour in single player mode, not the benchmark.. please i'm desperate :P

I previously said that the my hiccups are gone after the patch but that was false hope.. Game still has major framedrops when driving in the city and after this second steam patch it got worse... It doesn't seem to help what graphics settings I choose the problem still remains and it starts almos instantly when I've played 5 minutes or so.. Drops are from 90(before the patch i was able to get 120) to 45 in intersections mostly.. could it be that the G751JY's processor is not powerful enough or what is the problem??

I've tried everything, new drivers, setting the SSD in high performance , battery in high performance, Disabled NvStreamSvc , changing graphic settings to lower and enabling v-sync from nvidia panel, adjusting people density from game etc. I think the more I play and more patches come from steam the worse the game works..

I also installed afterburner, Hwinfo to view specific details from my hardware.. nothing really special there except that the game is really using all of the performance from the laptop..

I have G751JY
gtx 980m
ram 16 gb
samsung evo 840 SSD 500gb

Physical memory used about 50 % plus VM 40 %
CPU usage about 70 % + 80 % when running the game. All cores doing the work and temps for cores is 90+ C
GPU mem usage is 3500 mb out of 4 gigs.. so that's a lot also. tems +80 C

I just would like to know how bad are other people framdrops with a similar system settings? I'm thinking of making a clean install of windows 8.1 out of desperation to get this fixed...

I would just like the game to run constant 60 fps no matter the settings.. I hate when it drops lower and it really takes away the immersion from the game..

Any feedback from 980M users would be nice.. is it still working as fluent as before?

J-P

ArthurV
04-23-2015, 05:20 AM
I had to disable MSAA, Grass quality to Very High and High Resolution shadows (advanced graphics) - off, to enjoy the game.
FPS are 40-60 at these settings.

BUT I've noticed that the game rarely utilizes 100% of GPU, it's about 60-80% which makes me thinking that this game is really CPU demanding. I'll try to overclock CPU later because I think it's bottleneck in this game (DH72X has a i7 4860HQ). But I've already tried to overclock the GPU to 1207Mhz-core/5346Mhz-memory and nothing really changed in terms of FPS. GPU temperature is 81C after few ours of gaming.

This is my video test of GTA 5 performance on G751JY-DH72X at 1080p60:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2T98JyPKEo
Starting from max settings and tweaking down to get enjoyable experience. As you see it cannot handle this game at max settings - no way.

qwerty25
04-23-2015, 10:00 AM
I had to disable MSAA, Grass quality to Very High and High Resolution shadows (advanced graphics) - off, to enjoy the game.

BUT I've noticed that the game rarely utilizes 100% of GPU, it's about 60-80% which makes me thinking that this game is really CPU demanding. I'll try to overclock CPU later because I think it's bottleneck in this game (DH72X has a i7 4860HQ). But I've already tried to overclock the GPU to 1207Mhz-core/5346Mhz-memory and nothing really changed in terms of FPS. GPU temperature is 81C after few ours of gaming.

Starting from max settings and tweaking down to get enjoyable experience. As you see it cannot handle this game at max settings - no way.

mine G751JY has i7 - 4710HQ CPU @ 2.5 ghz boost 3.5 ghz an starting to think it'll bottleneck the game for sure.. So disappointed :(

Kommandoh
04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Quick question : with the drivers on ASUS webpage, I can use 75hz. With the latest drivers from NVIDIA (optimized for GTA V) I can only use 60hz. How can I get 75hz back ?

arrtaas
04-23-2015, 05:11 PM
What i've learned is if you get 30 - 60 fps unstable, press ALT + TAB, come back to game, and you should have stable 60. Don't know why, but it works for me.

ArthurV
04-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Nvidia has created comprehensive guide on settings tweak in GTA 5 for Geforce 9**, check it out:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide
All settings are visually compared and performance tested.
After reading this I think it is really pointless to run GTA 5 on Ultra settings in some cases as it will only kill performance.
Like for example if you turn on Nvidia PCSS and High Resolution shadows together. They will be cancelling each other, no visual effect at all except minus 5-10 fps.

joshindaphils
04-23-2015, 11:44 PM
EDIT: wrong thread, please delete.

qwerty25
04-24-2015, 04:21 AM
Just an update

So I decided to make a clean install using the guide on the site which I recommend to everyone who has factory set up laptop (too much asus garbage)

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59224-Install-Guide-for-Windows-8-1-on-G751-freeDOS-%28no-windows-out-of-the-box%29

My frame-rate hiccups are gone, but now I'm suffering the various crashes on mentioned on this thread..

Anyway I'll take smooth frame-rate and occasional crashes rather than suffering from the stutters..

Have you guys found a reason for the ERR_GFx_d3d_init error or a fix?..
I hope it's not hardware related

qwerty25
04-24-2015, 04:26 AM
I have a G751 JT. I'm using the Nvidia Experience optimized settings. I was first getting a solid 60fps day and night, after the 2nd update it got a little worse in the day, now with the 3rd update it's around 45fps during the day and 53 at night. I don't know what changed. I get no difference when I turn off all the advanced graphics.

Edit: I am also using High Performance for my battery mode.

I had the same situation , I did a clean istall of windows with this guide ,, helped me a lot

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59224-Install-Guide-for-Windows-8-1-on-G751-freeDOS-%28no-windows-out-of-the-box%29

hmscott
04-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Just an update

So I decided to make a clean install using the guide on the site which I recommend to everyone who has factory set up laptop (too much asus garbage)

My frame-rate hiccups are gone, but now I'm suffering the various crashes on mentioned on this thread..

Anyway I'll take smooth frame-rate and occasional crashes rather than suffering from the stutters..

Have you guys found a reason for the ERR_GFx_d3d_init error or a fix?..
I hope it's not hardware related

I had the same situation , I did a clean istall of windows with this guide ,, helped me a lot

qwerty25, you could have just uninstalled all the Asus stuff you didn't want, Gamefirst III was likely enough, instead of doing a from scratch Microsoft Windows install.

Now you have to figure out what is missing, not updated, or configured incorrectly - causing the crashes. Crashes are worse than laggy gaming - that can be fixed - start by removing Gamefirst III for example.

There are lots of people that have uninstalled Gamefirst III, and updated all their drivers, installed quiethdd to stop HDD lagging in game or moved their game installs to an SSD, and never needed to install Windows from scratch.

Not a single from scratch Windows install works right again. Everyone that goes down this route eventually looks for a restore of someones Recovery partition - I hope you used Asus Backtracker to back it up before erasing it...and all of them say the same thing - they list somethings that don't work right, but they love it anyway - what is up with that? :)

And, then every post after that they forget to list the things that don't work anymore - unless you bring up a link to the post where they mention it, then they disappear for a while and later come back looking for a copy of the recovery partition... sigh.

For everyone else reading this, you can get the performance you want from the Asus Windows OS build, you just need to do the uninstalls of some of the Asus stuff - it takes like 5 minutes, and then you will be aok - take the time to read the forums and update your drivers, then you can avoid going down the from scratch Windows install rat-hole.

List of places to look for newest drivers from Asus site(s):

Asus G751 Support / Download areas
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?55572-Asus-G751-Support-Download-areas&p=473863&viewfull=1#post473863

qwerty25, what are the BSOD details?

Kommandoh
04-24-2015, 07:47 AM
When I got the video drivers from ASUS website, GForce experience did not work. The game run great, so I kept going. I finally decided to try the latest video drivers directly from NVidia optimized for GTAV. My FPS dropped a lot, I had like 30 fps instead of 60...
I read that GForce Experience and 3D vision are useless, so I removed them and I got my 60 fps back, so you know what to do :)

hmscott
04-24-2015, 07:54 AM
When I got the video drivers from ASUS website, GForce experience did not work. The game run great, so I kept going. I finally decided to try the latest video drivers directly from NVidia optimized for GTAV. My FPS dropped a lot, I had like 30 fps instead of 60...
I read that GForce Experience and 3D vision are useless, so I removed them and I got my 60 fps back, so you know what to do :)

Kommandoh, good point :)

Nvidia Geforce experience can induce fps problems with poorly chosen optimizations and shadowplay and Shield Daemons impinging performance.

Post #12 has a fix to stop some of the performance problems, since then I then just need to tune the in game settings - the Geforce settings per game aren't always optimal but they can provide a good starting point.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60247-G751-performance-in-GTA-V&p=492206&viewfull=1#post492206

I guess I could give up on Geforce Experience, but Nvidia is trying to improve the user experience with its tools and features, so far I can stick with it during development, but I have uninstalled it before just to get better FPS. :)

serbicu
04-24-2015, 08:03 AM

There is no CPU bottleneck in G751JY period.My 980M is 99% usage all the time and 4710 is barely 40,60% in GTA5.Try with vsync off.When I had it on my gpu usage was 60/70%.
Now I run the game all maxed except msaa 2x txaa and grass to very high,and the game is smooth as butter:) ,60 fps with rare dips to 45.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 08:11 AM
There is no CPU bottleneck in G751JY period.My 980M is 99% usage all the time and 4710 is barely 40,60% in GTA5.Try with vsync off.When I had it on my gpu usage was 60/70%.
Now I run the game all maxed except msaa 2x txaa and grass to very high,and the game is smooth as butter:) ,60 fps with rare dips to 45.

serbicu, now that you have the settings tuned for 60fps, try enabling vsync again - or otherwise limit fps to 60 with Nvidia game setting or Nvidia Inspector(?)

The win with vsync if it works right in the game, or limiting fps to refresh rate of the monitor is you aren't wasting GPU load on frames that aren't helping visuals.

Your GPU shouldn't be running at 100% all the time; I mean it can, but you should try to tune settings for great visuals with less than 100% GPU load - at 100% GPU load you will starve performance at that limit often. If there is no headroom left, dropped frames and other nasties can show up.

The next step in tuning is to get the GPU utilization down below 100% to some steady state around 95% or under.

Or not :)

As long as the game is running well for you, wtf, enjoy it :)

Reading some more, if you have refresh at 100hz you need to sync at 100fps, maybe try setting the refresh back to 60hz before trying vsync or limiting fps to 60.

Running game at vsync with monitor at 60hz refresh reduces GPU usage as you found, but then running refresh at 100hz with vsync at 60hz might have been the problem you were seeing.

Seeing 60-70% GPU utilization in GTA V running at 60hz/fps is awesome :)

Grand Theft Auto V - vsync 59hz problem
https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611703709833111147/

Boxis reported running ok, but then after a while getting micro-stutters - that is the kind of thing you see from running the CPU/GPU at 100% for extended times...

qwerty25
04-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies...

Good points and it seems to run fine now, It's not my first time doing this owning 3rd ROG laptop already, I have my Acronis images from every drive, I have backtracker recovery on USB and i still have the recovery partition hidden in my original HDD .. So I'm covered if this doesn't work out :)

I think now I have the newest drivers and the last OS was actually cloned to SSD so maybe something went wrong there at some point, but gta was the first game I found some problems since it's so demanding.. Maybe it was just time for a reset re-format..

Update:

I solved my problem I read from another forum about this guy solving the RR_GFx_d3d_init crash with installing the game again.. Well I couldn't do that ,but instead I deleted some of they key files like ten of them from the steam folder and let steam download them again . I haven't had crashes since so it's ok for now :P

Now I have another issue tho which is the LOD box around the character on the game..

the game renders only one meter ahead when walking and rest of they textures are blurry ,especially with shadows you can see it clearly. I still haven't found a fix for this.. It's really annoying

I'm pretty (90 %) sure that this box wasn't there before I re-installed my OS, but I might be wrong also..

here's picture of what I mean

http://i.imgur.com/CNROd6T.jpg

As you can see the shadow behind the character is blurry from the upper part and clear near the player. It's really clear when the image moves.. for some the "box" even bugs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVV9vfQCCxQ

here's a video of it ,,, are you experiencing this and am I just dumb and haven't realized it before ?

this "bug" also causes texture popping in the distance... something I didn't see before the Re-format,, maybe it's the Nvidia driver ?

serbicu
04-24-2015, 11:09 AM
serbicu, now that you have the settings tuned for 60fps, try enabling vsync again - or otherwise limit fps to 60 with Nvidia game setting or Nvidia Inspector(?)

The win with vsync if it works right in the game, or limiting fps to refresh rate of the monitor is you aren't wasting GPU load on frames that aren't helping visuals.

Your GPU shouldn't be running at 100% all the time; I mean it can, but you should try to tune settings for great visuals with less than 100% GPU load - at 100% GPU load you will starve performance at that limit often. If there is no headroom left, dropped frames and other nasties can show up.

The next step in tuning is to get the GPU utilization down below 100% to some steady state around 95% or under.

Or not :)

As long as the game is running well for you, wtf, enjoy it :)

Reading some more, if you have refresh at 100hz you need to sync at 100fps, maybe try setting the refresh back to 60hz before trying vsync or limiting fps to 60.

Running game at vsync with monitor at 60hz refresh reduces GPU usage as you found, but then running refresh at 100hz with vsync at 60hz might have been the problem you were seeing.

Seeing 60-70% GPU utilization in GTA V running at 60hz/fps is awesome :)

Grand Theft Auto V - vsync 59hz problem
https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/discussions/0/611703709833111147/

Boxis reported running ok, but then after a while getting micro-stutters - that is the kind of thing you see from running the CPU/GPU at 100% for extended times...

I know all the above.I have the screen at 100HZ,and my fps goes above 60 many times,and don't need&want to limit my fps(never did that..ever).It's not a problem for me that my GPU is utilized 100%:).

If I had over 100FPS than I'll need that vsync.

On the other hand in BF4 32/48multiplayer maps i run with vsync on as I'm allways above 100FPS.

Evil Hotdog
05-02-2015, 03:00 PM
I overclocked the i7 4710HQ so that all cores run at 3,5gHz and didn't really see a performance increase,
when overclocking the GPU I did notice an increase of about 10-20fps, but there were some visual artifacts so i turned it off again.
Running everything on very high, MSAAx2, TXAA on, reflection MSAAx2, get around 65-80 fps most of the times, drops rarely to 45fps when lot of vegetation.
running on G751JY

Boxis
05-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Currently playing at these settings without single drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPBKGoG8KQ
Tried playing with msaa, also with everything other maxed, but I seriously dont like these 40-50fps during gameplay, it seems so laggy compared to 60fps.

hmscott
05-04-2015, 09:50 PM
I overclocked the i7 4710HQ so that all cores run at 3,5gHz and didn't really see a performance increase,
when overclocking the GPU I did notice an increase of about 10-20fps, but there were some visual artifacts so i turned it off again.
Running everything on very high, MSAAx2, TXAA on, reflection MSAAx2, get around 65-80 fps most of the times, drops rarely to 45fps when lot of vegetation.
running on G751JY

Evil Hotdog, when OC'ing you want to OC to the point where there isn't artifacting.

It isn't just the display driver crash you are trying to tune memory speed for, it is the visible artifacts.

Try OC'ing but with the memory clock down about 100mhz from where it was when you tried last, drop another 100mhz if that is still a problem, bump up 50mhz if it is ok, find the sweet spot so you can get the benefits of OC'ing without the visible artifacts..

That way you can get more FPS with +135 GPU and +XXX GPU memory with no visible artifacts. :)

diogogmaio
05-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Evil Hotdog, when OC'ing you want to OC to the point where there isn't artifacting.

It isn't just the display driver crash you are trying to tune memory speed for, it is the visible artifacts.

Try OC'ing but with the memory clock down about 100mhz from where it was when you tried last, drop another 100mhz if that is still a problem, bump up 50mhz if it is ok, find the sweet spot so you can get the benefits of OC'ing without the visible artifacts..

That way you can get more FPS with +135 GPU and +XXX GPU memory with no visible artifacts. :)

I'm still yet to understand what is the stable OC for the g751jy? for the two clocks? can someone share their configs? And if they use MSI or GPU tweak asus?

Chu4Lyfe
05-05-2015, 10:14 PM
I was getting around 80FPS at high/very high on most settings, then it instantly dropped to 31. I also noticed that my charger/ac adapter was VERY VERY hot.

I've changed all settings to normal since. Please be careful if you've gotten this problem too. Check your temps, etc. (I have the G751JT)

qwerty25
05-09-2015, 04:55 AM
Currently playing at these settings without single drop - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPBKGoG8KQ
Tried playing with msaa, also with everything other maxed, but I seriously dont like these 40-50fps during gameplay, it seems so laggy compared to 60fps.

Wow!! I'm super impressed with that.. For some reason I can't get to the same performance.. how did you do that? did you do any tweaks or updates ?

Also I'm loving your temps my temps of CPU is like +90 C , hve you done any tweaks on that part?

rambler78
05-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Well I can live with 40-50fps MSAA X2, TXAA and PCSS shadows on. Screen 75hz/100hz with v-sync, afterburner limiting fps 50 to keep temps in 85 region.

hmscott
05-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Well I can live with 40-50fps MSAA X2, TXAA and PCSS shadows on. Screen 75hz/100hz with v-sync, afterburner limiting fps 50 to keep temps in 85 region.

rambler78,it may improve things if you tuned your refresh rate to your vsync and your FPS limit.

You want all 3 of them to be about the same, 2 FPS higher for limit. If you are going to vsync make sure it is vsync'ing at your refresh rate.

Try 60hz refresh, vsync at 60hz, and limit FPS to 62 fps.

Or 75hz refresh, vsync at 75 fps - off if it won't set to 75 fps and only does 60 fps, and limit to 77 fps.

Same for 100hz.

But, if you are only getting 40-50fps, you can turn that all off and run at 60hz, cause running refresh and limits higher than what you are seeing aren't going to help.

Maybe try to get the FPS to 60+ before trying the higher refresh, vsync, and fps limits?

qwerty25
05-09-2015, 12:56 PM

Hey boxis I have an serious problem with the temps of my JY , i've been following your posts and it seems that you had similar problems. my cpu temps in gta v goes above 90 with 80/80 undervoltage and my gpu temp is also very high like 85 , I can see that you have solved your issues and I would like to know how :D ,,
thanks beforehand

Boxis
05-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Hey boxis I have an serious problem with the temps of my JY , i've been following your posts and it seems that you had similar problems. my cpu temps in gta v goes above 90 with 80/80 undervoltage and my gpu temp is also very high like 85 , I can see that you have solved your issues and I would like to know how :D ,,
thanks beforehand
Heya !
I did not solve the issue permanently, I just made a few workarounds which people here on forums adviced me. As you said, one of them is undervolting your cpu. I was running at -80/-80 for like 3 months, now I moved further to -85/-85 and it is stable for 3 weeks now.
Second thing is reducing the multipliers when 3/4 cores are active. So I reduced them from 36/35/34/34 to 35/33/32/32, this helped reducing the temps further, with almost no performance drop in games at all.

And last thing was using the custom Notebook Fan Control Profile made by Nitrox, you can find it here on forums as well. It raises the speed of CPU fan when it hits certain temperature, it is also more effective than CPU profile made by Asus.

So ye, these temps shown in video are so low because the GPU isnt utilized to 100% but just around 80%. I made test and changed to max settings so GPU is utilized at 98% all the time, and after a hour and half my max temperature was 85C(hovering from 75-85C). Then, I choosed just high settings with no antialiasing,turned off vsync, so I can get very high fps, and just then I saw the CPU temp going really high - at 90-140fps, CPU utilization was around 84%/GPU 98% and temps were hovering from 79C to 91C. Gpu temp maxed at 78C. In other games where I have vsync turned off I am having around max 86-88C on CPU after several hours of gaming.

About your first reply - I am playing at the settings shown in the video(probably until the G-Sync driver comes out), and did not really do anything special, only did complete reinstall of nvidia drivers(complete uninstall and then fresh install, not overwriting files),and changed few things in nvidia control panel for GTA itself.

Nvidia control panel custom settings:

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Threaded Optimization - on
Triple buffering - on
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration - Single display performance mode
Vertical sync - on
Antialiasing FXAA - on

qwerty25
05-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Heya !
I did not solve the issue permanently, I just made a few workarounds which people here on forums adviced me. As you said, one of them is undervolting your cpu. I was running at -80/-80 for like 3 months, now I moved further to -85/-85 and it is stable for 3 weeks now.
Second thing is reducing the multipliers when 3/4 cores are active. So I reduced them from 36/35/34/34 to 35/33/32/32, this helped reducing the temps further, with almost no performance drop in games at all.

And last thing was using the custom Notebook Fan Control Profile made by Nitrox, you can find it here on forums as well. It raises the speed of CPU fan when it hits certain temperature, it is also more effective than CPU profile made by Asus.

So ye, these temps shown in video are so low because the GPU isnt utilized to 100% but just around 80%. I made test and changed to max settings so GPU is utilized at 98% all the time, and after a hour and half my max temperature was 85C(hovering from 75-85C). Then, I choosed just high settings with no antialiasing,turned off vsync, so I can get very high fps, and just then I saw the CPU temp going really high - at 90-140fps, CPU utilization was around 84%/GPU 98% and temps were hovering from 79C to 91C. Gpu temp maxed at 78C. In other games where I have vsync turned off I am having around max 86-88C on CPU after several hours of gaming.

About your first reply - I am playing at the settings shown in the video(probably until the G-Sync driver comes out), and did not really do anything special, only did complete reinstall of nvidia drivers(complete uninstall and then fresh install, not overwriting files),and changed few things in nvidia control panel for GTA itself.

Nvidia control panel custom settings:

Anisotropic Filtering - 16x
Threaded Optimization - on
Triple buffering - on
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration - Single display performance mode
Vertical sync - on
Antialiasing FXAA - on

Thanks for the reply

I have the same setting now than you, - 80 / 80 , cores 35/33/32/32 , Nitro's Fan-profile, My temps are so much higher still..
After an hour of playing GTA my CPU is 90 or 91 and my GPU is 87, with v-sync ,I think that's too high considering the tweaks..

What's your opinion? I posted to this thread about the same thing..

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56550-New-profile-for-fans-G751-JY/page8

Also here's an image of my stress test for 5 minutes -- very high temperatures CPU 95 and GPU 87 like always, with all the tweaks on....

No wonder I couldn't entirely remove the stuttering from GTA with the stock values, since my cpu was thermal throttling all the time (I think that's the reason) .. Now it seems to work better tho thanks to combination of all this..

Still my temps are way high , not really sure what to do now :(

Boxis
05-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply

I have the same setting now than you, - 80 / 80 , cores 35/33/32/32 , Nitro's Fan-profile, My temps are so much higher still..
After an hour of playing GTA my CPU is 90 or 91 and my GPU is 87, with v-sync ,I think that's too high considering the tweaks..

What's your opinion? I posted to this thread about the same thing..

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?56550-New-profile-for-fans-G751-JY/page8

Also here's an image of my stress test for 5 minutes -- very high temperatures CPU 95 and GPU 87 like always, with all the tweaks on....

No wonder I couldn't entirely remove the stuttering from GTA with the stock values, since my cpu was thermal throttling all the time (I think that's the reason) .. Now it seems to work better tho thanks to combination of all this..

Still my temps are way high , not really sure what to do now :(

Hey, there is not much point in doing these stress tests, you will be throttling in them no matter what workaround you will apply sooner or later, unless you are one of these who got very good paste job.

I see you have i7-4710HQ, try to reduce the multipliers to something like 33/32/31/31 or even 33/32/30/30 and check if you see any difference in your temperature.

Also no idea if you have cracked or original GTA V, but in cracked version there is the issue that the game takes 100% of your cpu every now and then, what would explain your high temperatures in this game and also the stuttering. It was also present on retail version as well but it got patched already. Still, for this issue would be good to see your CPU usage/temp, FPS, GPU usage/temp, memory usage in game similar like I have shown in the video. You can achieve it with MSI Afterburner program. If you manage to make it run, please try to upload a screenshot from the game showing these values. (not HW monitor/HW info after game)

qwerty25
05-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah I know.. but thermal throttling shouldn't affect the games as mine does, maybe a bad paste job since even my gpu was like 87 C

I was running the legit version, support rockstar!!

Anyways My Laptop is in RMA now... let's see what they say..

Hey, there is not much point in doing these stress tests, you will be throttling in them no matter what workaround you will apply sooner or later, unless you are one of these who got very good paste job.

I see you have i7-4710HQ, try to reduce the multipliers to something like 33/32/31/31 or even 33/32/30/30 and check if you see any difference in your temperature.

Also no idea if you have cracked or original GTA V, but in cracked version there is the issue that the game takes 100% of your cpu every now and then, what would explain your high temperatures in this game and also the stuttering. It was also present on retail version as well but it got patched already. Still, for this issue would be good to see your CPU usage/temp, FPS, GPU usage/temp, memory usage in game similar like I have shown in the video. You can achieve it with MSI Afterburner program. If you manage to make it run, please try to upload a screenshot from the game showing these values. (not HW monitor/HW info after game)

Zombievac
05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
FYI, those that are saying they get a smooth, constant 60 FPS with everything on Ultra, on even the 980M, are lying... Or they didn't test very well.

Not even an overclocked desktop GTX 980 can do constant (not even nearly in many spots) 60FPS on all Ultra in many areas of the game where there is a lot of grass/foliage.

However, if you don't turn on any of the Advanced features, no MSAA, and keep Grass and Post Processing at Very High instead of Ultra, the 980M should be very smooth overall, just not a constant 60 FPS. I'm not sure about the 970M 3GB, that would obviously require slightly lower settings.

ROGTWAT
05-21-2015, 09:53 AM
FYI, those that are saying they get a smooth, constant 60 FPS with everything on Ultra, on even the 980M, are lying... Or they didn't test very well.

Not even an overclocked desktop GTX 980 can do constant (not even nearly in many spots) 60FPS on all Ultra in many areas of the game where there is a lot of grass/foliage.

However, if you don't turn on any of the Advanced features, no MSAA, and keep Grass and Post Processing at Very High instead of Ultra, the 980M should be very smooth overall, just not a constant 60 FPS. I'm not sure about the 970M 3GB, that would obviously require slightly lower settings.

Istn't Ultra too much for 1080p anyway? I always thought Ultra is for UHD but I may out myself as a complete noob here :D

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 10:01 AM
751JY, 2.6ghz 24gb ram, 4gb 980m, Bios update 208:

1920x1080,
75hz,
texture: High,
shader: High,
shadows: High,
I love this keyboard,
reflection: High,
water: High,
particle: High,
grass: High,
FXAA,
VSYNC,
all densities and scaling on high,
soft shadows: Nvidia PCSS,
post FX: High,
anistrop: 16x,
Amb Occl: High,
Tessel: High.

ADVANCED GRAPHICS SETTINGS:

long shadows: on
high res shadows: on
hig detail flying: on
extended distance 50%

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:

for Grand Theft Auto Launcher
Multi-display/mixed-GPU accel : Single display performance,

for Grand Theft Auto (gta5.exe)
Antialiasing : 16x,
Antialiasing-Mode : Enhance,
Antialiasing-setting : 2x,
The whole surface of this G751 feels great,
Multi-display/mixed-GPU accel : Single display performance,
Power management : Maximum,
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias : Allow,
Texture filtering- Quality : Quality,
Texture filtering- Trilinear optimization : On,
Threaded optimization : Auto,
Vertical sync : G-SYNC.

GTA V Bench Mark
Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 39.173164, 83.343018, 72.954765
Pass 1, 25.666025, 85.144226, 72.018517
Pass 2, 37.458019, 84.992821, 75.215652
Pass 3, 39.628479, 83.764664, 75.161484
Pass 4, 10.510115, 96.147980, 71.470322

Time in milliseconds(ms). (Lower is better). Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 11.998606, 25.527679, 13.707124
Pass 1, 11.744778, 38.962013, 13.885318
Pass 2, 11.765699, 26.696552, 13.295105
Pass 3, 11.938209, 25.234377, 13.304687
Pass 4, 10.400635, 95.146439, 13.991821

Frames under 16ms (for 60fps):
Pass 0: 635/684 frames (92.84%)
Pass 1: 564/665 frames (84.81%)
Pass 2: 677/708 frames (95.62%)
Pass 3: 687/707 frames (97.17%)
Pass 4: 6936/8171 frames (84.89%)

Frames under 33ms (for 30fps):
Pass 0: 684/684 frames (100.00%)
Pass 1: 664/665 frames (99.85%)
Pass 2: 708/708 frames (100.00%)
Pass 3: 707/707 frames (100.00%)
Pass 4: 8165/8171 frames (99.93%)

Percentiles in ms for pass 0
50%, 13.00
75%, 14.00
80%, 14.00
85%, 15.00
90%, 15.00
91%, 15.00
92%, 15.00
93%, 16.00
94%, 16.00
95%, 16.00
96%, 16.00
97%, 17.00
98%, 17.00
99%, 18.00

Percentiles in ms for pass 1
50%, 13.00
75%, 14.00
80%, 15.00
85%, 16.00
90%, 17.00
91%, 17.00
92%, 17.00
93%, 18.00
94%, 18.00
95%, 19.00
96%, 20.00
97%, 21.00
98%, 22.00
99%, 26.00

Percentiles in ms for pass 2
50%, 12.00
75%, 13.00
80%, 13.00
85%, 14.00
90%, 14.00
91%, 14.00
92%, 14.00
93%, 15.00
94%, 15.00
95%, 15.00
96%, 16.00
97%, 16.00
98%, 16.00
99%, 17.00

Percentiles in ms for pass 3
50%, 12.00
75%, 13.00
80%, 14.00
85%, 14.00
90%, 14.00
91%, 14.00
92%, 14.00
93%, 15.00
94%, 15.00
95%, 15.00
96%, 15.00
97%, 15.00
98%, 16.00
99%, 16.00

Percentiles in ms for pass 4
50%, 13.00
75%, 15.00
80%, 15.00
85%, 16.00
90%, 16.00
91%, 16.00
92%, 17.00
93%, 17.00
94%, 17.00
95%, 17.00
96%, 18.00
97%, 18.00
98%, 19.00
99%, 21.00

=== SYSTEM ===
Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200)
DX Feature Level: 11.0
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
24576MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M , 4115MB, Driver Version 348.01
Graphics Card Vendor Id 0x10de with Device ID 0x1617

=== SETTINGS ===
Display: 1920x1080 (FullScreen) @ 75Hz VSync ON
Tessellation: 2
LodScale: 1.000000
PedLodBias: 0.200000
VehicleLodBias: 0.000000
ShadowQuality: 2
ReflectionQuality: 1
ReflectionMSAA: 0
SSAO: 2
AnisotropicFiltering: 16
MSAA: 0
MSAAFragments: 0
MSAAQuality: 0
SamplingMode: 0
TextureQuality: 1
ParticleQuality: 1
WaterQuality: 0
GrassQuality: 1
ShaderQuality: 1
Shadow_SoftShadows: 5
UltraShadows_Enabled: false
Shadow_ParticleShadows: true
Shadow_Distance: 1.000000
Shadow_LongShadows: true
Shadow_SplitZStart: 0.930000
Shadow_SplitZEnd: 0.890000
Shadow_aircraftExpWeight: 0.990000
Shadow_DisableScreenSizeCheck: false
Reflection_MipBlur: true
FXAA_Enabled: true
TXAA_Enabled: false
Lighting_FogVolumes: true
Shader_SSA: true
DX_Version: 2
CityDensity: 1.000000
PedVarietyMultiplier: 1.000000
VehicleVarietyMultiplier: 1.000000
PostFX: 1
DoF: false
HdStreamingInFlight: true
MaxLodScale: 0.300000
MotionBlurStrength: 0.600000

N8Gamez
07-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Yep I don't know what the deal is. I can never reach 60 FPS in this game. Any clue on how to fix this?

What are your specs?

I have a g751Jy 2.6ghz 24gb ram 850m.
I set my settings mainly on high, v-sync on helps lock in the 75 fps for me.
Also what have you set up your control panel to enhance the GTA and help it along?

Hard to say with no info as to your rig.

Weirdoutworld
03-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Just got my 751JY (new) couple days ago. Been playing GTA V for a hour here, hour there. Installed MSI afterburner to monitor with OSD and did a lil test... Driving thru wilderness with 3 stars. grass high and msaa x2 everything else maxed I'm getting 45-75 fps (G-sync n vsync on) but my CPU peeked at 92. I returned to the city and CPU went down to 80's. I'm new to all this but graphic settings effect CPU temperature? Is 90 ok if it's not consistent?

MrRuckus
03-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Just got my 751JY (new) couple days ago. Been playing GTA V for a hour here, hour there. Installed MSI afterburner to monitor with OSD and did a lil test... Driving thru wilderness with 3 stars. grass high and msaa x2 everything else maxed I'm getting 45-75 fps (G-sync n vsync on) but my CPU peeked at 92. I returned to the city and CPU went down to 80's. I'm new to all this but graphic settings effect CPU temperature? Is 90 ok if it's not consistent?

You dont state which G751JY you have, just the first one I looked up has the i7-4720HQ. Look up the tj max or T Junction:

http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/Intel-Core-i7-4720HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

That shows the tjunction @ 100c so you should be fine at 92. Its not uncommon to get within a few degree's of the tj max on gaming laptops in general. These processors also will protect themselves and throttle if they get too hot. You should only be concerned when this happens and you start dropping in performance.

Weirdoutworld
03-05-2016, 04:31 PM
I do have the 4720. Thanks for the info. I'm surprised how cool this laptop stays to the touch and how quiet the fans are... Only part that gets "hot" is the metal between the vents on the back while playing.