PDA

View Full Version : New G74SX-AH71

Khyros
11-19-2011, 03:31 AM
Hi all,

so after several weeks of searching around for a new computer I finally decided (on large part due to this forum) to settle on a G74SX. I understand that the first thing I should be doing is reformatting it and installing all the new drivers and bios. I have only had my computer for a few hours, but have already noticed that I have keyboard issues, and screen flickering when at a low brightness (as described in http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5536-Asus-G74-screen-flicker-%28dark-backgrounds-and-low-brightness%29&highlight=screen+flicker)

i am planning on reformatting it and setting it up "properly," but want to know if there is a specific order that I should be doing stuff (bios -> windows -> drivers -> windows updates?) Obviously the antheros driver is going to be updated :) It doesn't seem like there is a solution for the screen flicker, so I'm wondering if I should keep the computer (it will drive me crazy) I have not experienced this issue with other laptop screens. Thoughts?

xeromist
11-19-2011, 03:56 AM
I suspect that the screen flicker is hardware related so you have three choices: run it brighter, cope with it, or return it. If it's already bothering you then probably better to just change now rather than regretting later. :(

Boosted_R
11-19-2011, 04:05 AM
If your going to update the Bios through windows, you might as well throw it off a building, the end result will be the same lol..... Bios order doesn't really matter, new ATK drivers will fix the keyboard. *** NOTE BELOW FOR BIOS***

The Safer Method to Flash a System BIOS

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 format.
2. Download the new BIOS and unzip it to the USB drive.
3. Remove USB drive after you're certain the file transfer is complete.
4. Restart your notebook and while the ASUS logo is on the screen press F2 or del a few times to enter the BIOS setup.
5. Find the Easy Flash Utility and insert the USB drive. Tell Easy flash where your BIOS file is then follow directions explicitely!!!
6. When your notebook restarts, enter the BIOS Setup utility again and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (I think it's f9 )
7. Save and Exit, then continue into Windows.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 04:29 AM
I have only had my computer for a few hours, but have already noticed that I have keyboard issues, and screen flickering when at a low brightness (as described in http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5536-Asus-G74-screen-flicker-%28dark-backgrounds-and-low-brightness%29&highlight=screen+flicker)

i am planning on reformatting it and setting it up "properly," but want to know if there is a specific order that I should be doing stuff (bios -> windows -> drivers -> windows updates?) Obviously the antheros driver is going to be updated :) It doesn't seem like there is a solution for the screen flicker, so I'm wondering if I should keep the computer (it will drive me crazy) I have not experienced this issue with other laptop screens. Thoughts?

Unfortunately, the flicker at low brightness is a by-product of the way LED technology is employed in newer laptop displays. I think you should raise the brightness until the flicker is sufficiently reduced, and try using it that way for awhile. I think you have a better chance of getting used to higher brightness than you do getting used to the flicker, as I suspect you're just one of those people who is especially sensitive to it. If you can't get used to it either way, it might not be the best to look for something else, as xeromist suggested.

Khyros
11-19-2011, 04:36 AM
alright. thanks for the tips. i really do enjoy all the features of this comp so i think i'll try living through the flicker / keeping it at a brighter setting, especially if it deals with the construction of LED's in most newer laptops.

Khyros
11-26-2011, 03:53 AM
so i've had my comp for a week or so and today i went to go plug in my phone to the usb to charge it, and it seems one of the ports is broken. The center section seems to be misaligned. I am debating between trying to fix it myself and returning it for another one, but I'm worried 1) that it would void the warranty if I attempted to fix it, 2) if amazon would tell me to just RMA it, or 3) if I realign it but the port still doesn't work. Has anyone else had a bad port out of the box? what was the solution?

Also - while I normally use an external mouse, I was being lazy early and was playing SWTOR without the mouse, but the entire "keypad disabled while typing" made it impossible. Where do I go to turn off this setting?

BrodyBoy
11-26-2011, 04:55 AM
so i've had my comp for a week or so and today i went to go plug in my phone to the usb to charge it, and it seems one of the ports is broken. The center section seems to be misaligned. I am debating between trying to fix it myself and returning it for another one, but I'm worried 1) that it would void the warranty if I attempted to fix it, 2) if amazon would tell me to just RMA it, or 3) if I realign it but the port still doesn't work. Has anyone else had a bad port out of the box? what was the solution?

Also - while I normally use an external mouse, I was being lazy early and was playing SWTOR without the mouse, but the entire "keypad disabled while typing" made it impossible. Where do I go to turn off this setting?
I wouldn't try to repair the port of it's actually broken.....I think you could well void the warranty. I'd just exchange it for another one. Amazon is great about returns within 30 days of purchase.....just fill out the online RMA form, giving "defective/broken USB port" as the reason (or something along that line), and they'll send a UPS guy to pick it up the next day. Won't cost you a penny. (If you have a lot of stuff set up on it, you could save your configuration settings with Windows Easy Transfer and apply it to the replacement.) Do a factory restore before you pack it up, to make sure none of your personal data goes back with it.