PDA

View Full Version : G750JZ GTX 880m | help me pls, mainly uses intel graphics not geforce

Gottwald
04-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Hey guys , im having serious issues with my G750JZ .

I realized today , that my laptop mainly uses intel graphics , and not geforce graphics , for the monitor , games , chrome ecc.

Infacts when i launched nvidia control panel , it shows just the 3d graphics setting , and not the video and monitor graphics settings .

If someone could help me out would be awesome .

Thx in advance !!

Gottwald
04-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Up pls , dont leave me alone :(

hmscott
04-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Hey guys , im having serious issues with my G750JZ .

I realized today , that my laptop mainly uses intel graphics , and not geforce graphics , for the monitor , games , chrome ecc.

Infacts when i launched nvidia control panel , it shows just the 3d graphics setting , and not the video and monitor graphics settings .

If someone could help me out would be awesome .

Thx in advance !!

Gottwald, hopefully someone with an Optimus G750JM/JS/JZ/JY can help you out, but I can tell you a few things.

1) Optimus sucks :(

2) The Intel GPU is always in the video chain, and always on, and is the *default* GPU for all operations unless Optimus selects the discrete GPU for you, or you force it to become active in some form.

3) The Intel iGPU die sits right next to the CPU die on the same carrier - they share the same cooling - so the Optimus G750's CPU's run 10c hotter under load than a CPU without the iGPU turned on.

4) All the video output's run out of the Intel iGPU, so you can only control video via the Intel GPU Control panel.

5) You can't disable the Intel iGPU, as all video runs through it, there is no BIOS switch to flip to switch over to Nvidia Video output only. It is a physical hard-wiring that can't be circumvented.

6) Windows and Windows apps can *never* use the Nvidia GPU - IE, the Windows GUI, Media Player, etc all are forced through the Intel GPU.

7) There are hints and kinks for using Right Click on an App icon to select High Performance, and Nvidia 3D settings in the Nvidia control panel to try to force use of the Nvidia GPU globally and per application, doesn't always work.

8) Nvidia Inspector can be used to try to force / trick the app into using the Nvidia GPU if it won't play nice with Optimus - many old apps are this way.

9) Rendering apps are often unable to switch to the Nvidia GPU, and may not be upgraded to do so. I don't have a list, but have answered questions in many threads where the high load of CPU/GPU when rendering cause the CPU to Thermal Throttle due to the double heat load on the CPU cooling system, even after getting plugin's to render on the GPU working..

G750 JS - CPU Overheating, What Thermal Solution ?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48404-G750-JS-CPU-Overheating-What-Thermal-Solution&p=410340&viewfull=1#post410340

Things to try ~CPU overheating JM/JS/JZ models~
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48594-Things-to-try-CPU-overheating-JM-JS-JZ-models&p=412319&viewfull=1#post412319

dblkk posted a lot of useful observations as he went through a number of JM/JS laptops, and responded to JZ owner threads with similar issues, you might try going through his posts to find relevant threads.

There are lots of JZ users out there happy with their laptops, so you can find a path through the Optimess toward a balanced working relationship.

Hopefully someone with a JZ/JS/JM will post their tricks for getting as much running on the Nvidia GPU as possible. :)