PDA

View Full Version : Factory Refurb G750-JS-RS71 Concerned with Stress Test results

PiousDevil
04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Following instructions found in this forum (maybe incorrectly following?) I ran Prime95 and Furmark (simultaneously?) and had these results. Could someone advise me as to whether I should be concerned, whether I should have no ran these simultaneously and any action I should take? Furmark only ran for a minute before shutting down. Results are attached.4836148362

PiousDevil
04-14-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm stupid, right? Not supposed to run the tests concurrently, right?

navis995
04-22-2015, 09:18 PM
If you're concerned about the temperatures you should pay this in mind first.

880M can and probably will reach (at some point) 93C. When that happens it will start lowering the clocks and cool itself down. It will not reach above that limit.

4700HQ will run very hot, around 90C under full load and around 95-100C under stress. In order to fix this I advise you to use Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility and lower the voltage (that will lower the temperatures for at least 5C).

Running both tests at the same time is kinda stupid yeah so to get real feeling of the temperatures I advise you to do this.

For GPU
1) Run FurMark for 15 minutes.
2) If it doesn't crash your clocks are stable and GPU is fine
3) if it crash then lower clocks otherwise find the source of the issue

For CPU:
1) Run Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility (It has integrated benchmark and stress test as I don't like Prime95)
2) If it's stable for 15 minutes it's fine otherwise find the source of the issue
3) If it crash lower the multiplier and/or voltages (Start at -10mV and make your way up)

Don't beat yourself up for the T too much.

Right now I'm playing GTA V on my Asus Rog G750JZ with stock everything and GPU reaches 93C and CPU 90C.

Cheers

hmscott
04-23-2015, 03:37 AM
Following instructions found in this forum (maybe incorrectly following?) I ran Prime95 and Furmark (simultaneously?) and had these results. Could someone advise me as to whether I should be concerned, whether I should have no ran these simultaneously and any action I should take? Furmark only ran for a minute before shutting down. Results are attached. 48362

I'm stupid, right? Not supposed to run the tests concurrently, right?

PiousDevil, that is actually the point of the test, maximum simultaneous load on CPU and GPU, to check for Thermal Throttling and high temps.

The JS has independent cooling for the CPU/GPU, as do all the G750's, but the new G751's have integrated CPU/GPU cooling and individially running the tests shows everything ok (unless there is a build problem) but running them together pushes the combined cooling system and shows the potential for Thermal Throttling on some units.

Your JS CPU is running too hot, wayyyy too hot on the CPU - 99c is well past Thermal Throttling point of 93c. It will likely show the same result for CPU temp even when running just the PRIME95 test along, give it a try.

Also, your CPU is showing a fault I have seen before, and replaced the CPU (desktop) because of it, a 10c temperature differential for 2 cores - they reach 99c while the other 2 cores only reach 89c - there is something wrong with the CPU Internal Heat Spreader - IHS.

You should RMA the laptop to Asus and get them to replace the motherboard - that will get you another CPU - most have a working IHS that keeps all cores at the same temperature.

You could also return the unit to the seller for another one, but you might get back an even worse refurb problem - and your GPU temp is great - if you like everything else - the screen, cosmetics, keyboard, fit and finish, etc of this laptop and you only have the CPU problem, then it might be worth RMA'ing instead of returning.

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register the laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry describing the uneven heating of the Cores - 2 are 10c hotter than the other 2 - and the 2 hot cores hit 99c and Thermal Throttle under load. Use the least heavy duty benchmark you can find, single benchmark for CPU load only, to demonstrate the problem. Attach a zipfile of images to the Technical Inquiry.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)