PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the new G74sx DH71?

AQUASTEVAE
11-19-2011, 08:36 AM
each version seems so different, that i just want to find out if anyone here has any trouble with this one. it is one of the newest ones, and i haven't read as many problems with this one as some of the others. please let me know.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
each version seems so different, that i just want to find out if anyone here has any trouble with this one. it is one of the newest ones, and i haven't read as many problems with this one as some of the others. please let me know.
Yes. It's the exact same configuration as the A1 with a slightly faster processor. Any information about the A1 applies to the DH71 as well. (So it's not really a "new" configuration, but a way to denote the processor change in an existing config.)

fostert
11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I think that one has the i7 2670QM (2.2 GHz)? Otherwise I would think its identical, so most problems that have been seen in the G74's on this forum would also be potential ones to look out for.

ricksaint
11-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Isn't the new version also to address the problems encountered in the older ones?

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 09:24 PM
I think that one has the i7 2670QM (2.2 GHz)? Otherwise I would think its identical, so most problems that have been seen in the G74's on this forum would also be potential ones to look out for.
That's right. It's otherwise identical.

Isn't the new version also to address the problems encountered in the older ones?
No, it's not really a "new" or "updated" version of the laptop. There's nothing redesigned in it.

It's simply another configuration, just as you could have the same G74SX with a BD burner and one with a BD combo drive, and they'll be denoted by a different configuration number. Otherwise the same machine.

AQUASTEVAE
11-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Yes. It's the exact same configuration as the A1 with a slightly faster processor. Any information about the A1 applies to the DH71 as well. (So it's not really a "new" configuration, but a way to denote the processor change in an existing config.)

i am hearing that the wireless card is crap in this machine. i live on a very remote island in the south pacific, and live off of my wifi. so i am wondering how hard it would be for me to change that wireless card to one of the intel 6300's? i'm fine with changing hard drives or adding memory, but have never changed a wireless card. jsyk.

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 09:28 AM
It's very easy to change the WLAN card. When you open the large back panel, you have ready access the the hard drives, RAM, and wireless card. You simply detach the two antennas from their little connectors on the card and remove the one screw that holds the card in place. The card will automatically tilt up (it sits on some sort of spring connector), and then you just pull it out. Reverse the process to put the new card in.

The Centrino 6300 has three antenna connectors instead of two....you use the two outside ones and leave the middle one open. (Assuming you're not using a high-end router that actually runs a 450Mbs network.)

AQUASTEVAE
11-24-2011, 09:23 AM
It's very easy to change the WLAN card. When you open the large back panel, you have ready access the the hard drives, RAM, and wireless card. You simply detach the two antennas from their little connectors on the card and remove the one screw that holds the card in place. The card will automatically tilt up (it sits on some sort of spring connector), and then you just pull it out. Reverse the process to put the new card in.
The Centrino 6300 has three antenna connectors instead of two....you use the two outside ones and leave the middle one open. (Assuming you're not using a high-end router that actually runs a 450Mbs network.)

if i wanted to buy the tyco antenna wire with it, first of all, is that the right antenna for the third place, and second, how hard is it to install that third antenna? do you have more pic's or a video? brodyboy, it seems we are going to be good friends! lol...

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 09:30 AM
if i wanted to buy the tyco antenna with it, how hard is it to install that third antenna? do you have more pic's or a video? brodyboy, it seems we are going to be good friends! lol...
LOL! It's not too tough to install a third antenna in the chassis, which is probably adequate. It's a little more involved if you want to actually route it up into the lid with the other antennas.

But that's probably a moot point, depending on your router. The third antenna only comes into play when using a triple-stream-capable router that's actually running a three-stream, 450Mbps network. Most routers are single- or dual-stream. What make & model router do you have? Chances are it's dual-stream (that's the most common these days), and if that's the case, the third antenna would go completely unused and offer no advantage.

I have lots of pictures! Anything specific you're looking for?

AQUASTEVAE
11-24-2011, 06:43 PM
yeah, the router here at the resort is a dlink dir 615, i think. i doubt it has three streams. ok, so no need to spend a little more for that third antenna... so the intel ultimate n 6300 is the best card to get, huh? i found one on amazon for $30. i guess i can add that to the list.

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 07:16 PM
yeah, the router here at the resort is a dlink dir 615, i think. i doubt it has three streams. ok, so no need to spend a little more for that third antenna... so the intel ultimate n 6300 is the best card to get, huh? i found one on amazon for $30. i guess i can add that to the list.
No, the 615 is a 2-stream router....the most common kind. (Most of even the big manufacturers, like D-Link, Netgear, etc., one make only one or two 3-stream models. They're really not very widely used.) The 615 operates up to a max of 300Mbps, so a card upgrade will definitely improve your connection speeds, but another antenna wouldn't make a difference.

I think any of the Intel cards are good. I chose the 6300 even though I'm not currently running a 3-stream network because (1) I wanted the upgradability if I switch routers, and (2) I don't use bluetooth. If you think you'll need bluetooth now or in the future, you might want to consider an Intel card that includes it, like the 6230. I think JR uses that one and he seems to be pretty happy with it. (The G74 doesn't have a separate BT chip, so you do need an integrated WLAN/BT card if you'll ever want bluetooth.)

So basically, you just need to pick your card and that's it. No need for another antenna.

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Yup! I do like my 6230, it has great sensitivity compared to the Atheros, and is very fast. I usually don't use my wireless since I'm set up at a desk with a router next to me, but today I wanted to run down my battery so I put it downstairs, on the other side of the house and still had full bars on the wireless signal icon. With the Atheros I got 2 or 3 bars, tops. :/

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous that Asus puts a lowly little 150Mbps card in their "flagship" laptop. I don't know how much they save by using that instead of a decent Intel card, but I think most users would happily pay the price difference.

Do you use the bluetooth, JR? I'd get it if I could think of a use for it, but I haven't come up with one yet! (I guess my phone could sync with it via BT, but I'm not sure why I'd want that....)

fuzon1337
11-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Do you use the bluetooth, JR? I'd get it if I could think of a use for it, but I haven't come up with one yet! (I guess my phone could sync with it via BT, but I'm not sure why I'd want that....)

Share photos/videos with your notebook without useing the cable :rolleyes:
And if I'm not wrong, that Wifi card supports shareing videos from the notebook with supported TV's (as the Icon in this picture (http://www.google.no/imgres?q=intel+centrino+6230+tv&um=1&hl=no&biw=1790&bih=918&tbm=isch&tbnid=-4Z9CE0QXY2XEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.intel.com/content/www/uk/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6230.html&docid=Ve2vtNsoWw17fM&imgurl=http://www.intel.com/content/dam/staging/image/Laura/ad_widi_01_logo-140x70.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.thumbnail.128.128.png&w=128&h=128&ei=L6DOTrLwAu-M4gTJre13&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1439&vpy=194&dur=1012&hovh=102&hovw=102&tx=58&ty=91&sig=112018201097676186772&page=1&tbnh=102&tbnw=102&start=0&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0) have to be in the specifications) without useing something like Western Digital WD TV

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 08:00 PM
@Brody, I have used it to transfer files between my tablet and my notebook, but that's unpractical. I will be getting BT headphones, soon though. Mainly I didn't want to "downgrade" my notebook in case I wanted to sell it and the 6230 was less expensive than the 6300. Plus, it's more useful than an unused antenna nublet. :p

@fuzon - WTF, are you serious? Want me to take a pic of my DiNovo keyboard and mouse? I'm not using that one now, but I do have that old Logitech desktop set with the media controller.

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 08:02 PM

. . . there he goes again.:rolleyes:

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
And if I'm not wrong, that Wifi card supports shareing videos from the notebook with supported TV's Icon in this picture have to be in the specifications) without useing something like Western Digital WD TV
You're not wrong, but that's the Intel "WiDi" thingy.....it doesn't use bluetooth. Maybe BT external keyboards would be a common use? I don't know. The only place I ever use BT is when my phone connects to the voice system in my car. I've got nothing against BT, mind you.....I've just never found a use for it in my laptops. :(

BrodyBoy
11-24-2011, 08:07 PM
. . . there he goes again.:rolleyes:

Pardon? Was that question offensive?

JRd1st
11-24-2011, 08:12 PM
You're not wrong, but that's the Intel "WiDi" thingy.....it doesn't use bluetooth. Maybe BT external keyboards would be a common use? I don't know. The only place I ever use BT is when my phone connects to the voice system in my car. I've got nothing against BT, mind you.....I've just never found a use for it in my laptops. :(
If you think about it, wireless headphones are really useful especially if you're the type that forgets you have headphones on and have tried to walk away. I'd rather not pull my dock off the desk onto my notebook. lol

fuzon1337
11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
It was just sarcasm, but I can do it with my computer (Atheros card, still not got the Intel 6230 Advanced-N yet, they are so slow -.- :P )

Ask if you need guide, then I will try to help you out, was a little confusing to send a picture, but I did :D hehe

Hmm, perhaps you were sarcastic also? :S :P

@fuzon - WTF, are you serious? Want me to take a pic of my DiNovo keyboard and mouse? I'm not using that one now, but I do have that old Logitech desktop set with the media controller.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 01:13 AM
You sounded like one of those people that always wants a screenshot or they don't believe what you told them. ;p That really annoys me.

Sorry I jumped the gun. :D

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 03:23 AM
i'm with bb on this one. i've never found a practical use for bt either. i use logitech's wireless M570 trackball and K350 wireless keyboard. other than that, i don't care much about taking pics or vid from my phone. being a photographer, i have better equipment for that. so, i can't think of a real reason for it. although i will have to say that the wireless headphones is a pretty good one. but i wouldn't sacrifice speed or range from my wifi for them.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 04:33 AM
I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything, you can't get better than 5 bars of signal and the speed is indistinguishable from my lan. (Comcast provider)

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Oh, I don't think you are either. I don't mean to suggest anyone shouldn't get BT....I'm sure there are plenty of ways people use it. I just meant that I personally haven't found anything I need it for in my laptops. If that changes, I'm sure I'll add the hardware pronto! ;)

Thorn2011
11-25-2011, 06:46 AM
i am hearing that the wireless card is crap in this machine. i live on a very remote island in the south pacific, and live off of my wifi. so i am wondering how hard it would be for me to change that wireless card to one of the intel 6300's? i'm fine with changing hard drives or adding memory, but have never changed a wireless card. jsyk. I am not having any isuees with my wireless card, I get 5 full bars no matter where I go in my house, infact I am picking up next doors unsecured connection at 3 bars, free internet anyone? lol

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Yes, but it's a 150Mbps card in a world where 300Mbps is rapidly becoming the standard. That seems a little lame for a flagship laptop.....

(Tell your neighbors they should be using their routers' security! :))

Thorn2011
11-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Yes, but it's a 150Mbps card in a world where 300Mbps is rapidly becoming the standard. That seems a little lame for a flagship laptop.....

(Tell your neighbors they should be using their routers' security! :))

Yeah well it depends on how fast your connection is anyhow, I get roughly 1.5 MPS download for Australia thats not too bad, and thats going through my wireless network card, not sure what benefit a faster wireless card would have because of the limited ADSL 2 connection speed? I really don't see any benefit of a faster card atm?

Btw no I don't use their internet, mine is much faster at 5 bars... next door is clueless when it comes to technology should see how many viruses and spamware I cleared off their Desktop one day.... I think it was a new world record lol

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 07:59 AM
I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything, you can't get better than 5 bars of signal and the speed is indistinguishable from my lan. (Comcast provider)

i wasn't saying that you were. but for me to use a lesser wifi card, just so i can have bt, i would be. it isn't always about getting five bars sitting right next to it, but about being able to get four or five bars when it is a long way aways. this is more my situation. i want the strongest signal, and the fastest connection i can get.

BrodyBoy
11-25-2011, 08:34 AM
i wasn't saying that you were. but for me to use a lesser wifi card, just so i can have bt, i would be. it isn't always about getting five bars sitting right next to it, but about being able to get four or five bars when it is a long way aways. this is more my situation. i want the strongest signal, and the fastest connection i can get.
To be clear, the 6230 isn't a lesser card....it's one of Intel's TOTL cards, and probably their most popular upgrade card. ;) The 6300 and the 6230 will perform exactly the same on most networks, including mine and the one from the D-Link 615 you're using.

The 6300 is a great card, I use it in two laptops- but it's not going to make anything about your signal stronger or faster. (I can tell you don't believe me about that third antenna, and that's your prerogative.....but I assure you, again (;)), if there's no third spatial stream in the wireless network you're using (and there isn't), that third antenna is picking up nada and contributing nothing to your wireless signal. It will use the same two antennas the 6230 would use.

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
To be clear, the 6230 isn't a lesser card....it's one of Intel's TOTL cards, and probably their most popular upgrade card. ;) The 6300 and the 6230 will perform exactly the same on most networks, including mine and the one from the D-Link 615 you're using.

The 6300 is a great card, I use it in two laptops- but it's not going to make anything about your signal stronger or faster. (I can tell you don't believe me about that third antenna, and that's your prerogative.....but I assure you, again (;)), if there's no third spatial stream in the wireless network you're using (and there isn't), that third antenna is picking up nada and contributing nothing to your wireless signal. It will use the same two antennas the 6230 would use.

first, i'm not trying to step on anyone's toe's, but any card that can't perform a forward thinking technology which will become standard in time, is lesser. just a fact of the technology. i know it can perform at very close to the same level with lesser modems, but for those highend products, that can hit 450, the 6230 isn't able to do it, while the 6300 can. technology grows exponentially, and who knows how quickly we are going to get to a point where this is a standard? i can't just go out and get what i want later. this is my shot. i probably won't be back in america for 4, 5, maybe 7 years. i have to max out while i have my chance, and make what i get, last as long as possible.

and it isn't that i don't believe you, there's actually a thread somewhere on this board that proves the third antenna helps even with only two streams. jr knows about it. the guy who has the nightmare before christmas avatar did some benchmarks, and the third antenna made the stream more stable than with only two antennas, even when there were only two streams. he did several benchmarks, and it showed a much more stable stream, and a stronger signal at distance. jr was on the same thread, so ask him about it.

JRd1st
11-25-2011, 09:09 AM
I don't remember. Not saying it isn't so, I just don't remember it. I'll look it up... :)

AQUASTEVAE
11-25-2011, 10:02 PM
cool. sometimes i mix up the people on here with nbr, but i was pretty sure that you had made a comment or two. look for the avatar of the character from "nightmare before christmas". he is who was doing the benchmarks.
anyway, i don't want bb to think that i don't consider his advice. but this guy had run several test's and put up the charts to show the results.

Myles
01-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Hey Guys. My laptop bag was stolen so I am now in the market for a new machine. Came across this and was wondering about any problems etc. etc. as well as how well it runs and if there are any other suggestions on machines for a decent comparison.

Read the thing about bluetooth and the thing I love about it is that you can take a bluetooth dongle and hook it up to Radios, RTU's and various other controllers etc. then bluetooth the conection to your laptop to do all your programming. Cables get very brittle in the cold and dirty in the mud and sometimes you cant drive in and cable would be under water.

Appreciate suggestions on other machines and overall impression of this one

AQUASTEVAE
01-07-2012, 01:04 AM
this is a fine machine if you complete a clean install, and get rid of almost all of the asus crapware. then it is fast and convenient, with a beautiful screen. i love mine.

Norsky48
01-07-2012, 10:55 AM
i'm with bb on this one. i've never found a practical use for bt either. i use logitech's wireless M570 trackball and K350 wireless keyboard. other than that, i don't care much about taking pics or vid from my phone. being a photographer, i have better equipment for that. so, i can't think of a real reason for it. although i will have to say that the wireless headphones is a pretty good one. but i wouldn't sacrifice speed or range from my wifi for them.

I installed the 6230 (quite easy) and use the BT a lot. I have a Razer Orochi BT mouse and I also use it with my Bose Soundlink speaker. They both work great and I don't have dongles or wires other than for the power brick. So there are uses for BT...

OBTW, the 6230 is far superior to the Atheros that came with the machine. Speed is dependent on distance to my router. But the 6230 maintains 5 bars anywhere in my house.