PDA

View Full Version : Normal CPU Temps on the G751 JY ?

CrowsRevenge
04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
I Recently got my rog and have noticed that when playing BF4 temps are in the high 80's to max of 94 so far. Making sure this wont kill the cpu due to over heating. Granted it cools off quick once the strenuous source is removed but im concerned for extended gaming sessions. thanks.

Sanctrum
04-15-2015, 10:27 AM
And what are your temps at Unigine Heaven and Valey benchmarks at extreme native res and full screen settings + tessellation enabled? If also around 80-94.... and your ambient room temp is 21... I would check both fans RPMs and if they are ok then send the laptop for repasting.

You are writing regarding GPU or CPU temps? Or both are so high?

In may case I do not exceed 74 (in general) at gaming and at benchmarks... But I don't have BF4 to compare. (just testing at BF3, Crysis3, Crysis2, Crysis, the above bechamarks and strictly CPU dependent 1 hour constant video encoding).

ciccio80
04-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Hi, I usually lay BF4 on vsync, but fot the sake otf testing I did a 1h session vsync off just for you :)
I had :
CPU max 87C
GPU max 75C
With vsync I get much better temperatures, so I will stick with it (60fps is enough for me)

arrtaas
04-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Temps can be much better. I had the same temps and they improved a lot. Check this thread out http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60244-G751JY-Fan-Settins

CrowsRevenge
04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
Nah its just my cpu. GPU is usually in the 70'[s. But yea ive ran both firestrike and unique valley benchmarks on extreme settings with 8X AA and the CPU had a max of 76C after 3 passes on it. Only time I've seen the cpu hit over 90 was on BF4 on the larger multiplayer maps. Thanks for the tips

CrowsRevenge
04-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Thanks will give this try.

CrowsRevenge
04-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks for link. Will check these out.

nuvolari7
04-16-2015, 10:00 AM
I've been playing Far Cry 4 on ultra settings. I set the power plan to balanced and reduced the Maximum Processor State to 99% or less. The temps for CPU and GPU were around low to mid 70c. When I used balanced profile without reducing the Maximum Processor State or if I used high performance profile, the temps were over 80c, sometimes getting to over 90c.

hmscott
04-16-2015, 08:16 PM
I've been playing Far Cry 4 on ultra settings. I set the power plan to balanced and reduced the Maximum Processor State to 99% or less. The temps for CPU and GPU were around low to mid 70c. When I used balanced profile without reducing the Maximum Processor State or if I used high performance profile, the temps were over 80c, sometimes getting to over 90c.

nuvolari7, setting to 99% is a good test, but a bit extreme to keep long term. Rather than set the CPU to "99%" performance, that setting actually completely disables Turbo mode, so your CPU never runs faster than base setting of about 2.4Ghz.

Now that you know reducing CPU performance helps get the heat under control, you can try some less extreme reduction and tune for before performance / heat :)

Using Intel XTU you can set the multipliers for all 4 Cores down a bit and adjust for temp vs performance.

You want to keep the CPU core temp's below 93c to stop throttling - CPU shuts down performance until temp drops again. This temperature situation kills performance.

I would suggest setting to 36x,35x,30x,30x on Cores and 36x for Cache for a start - or Max, Max, down 4x, down 4x and Max if your CPU multiplier range is different.

That will keep best performance for 1 and 2 Core loads, and start to reduce peak temps as the 3rd and 4th core come online. Reduce the 3,4 Cores more if temp is still too high, or increase Core 3 then Core 4 a step if temps are well below 93c.

Remember, the monitoring programs showing Max at 93c might have only seen that temperature hit for a brief single event, and for the most part might be running much cooler - you need to watch current temps closer than the single Max reading.

Logging the hwinfo64 monitoring, saving to a file, converting to Excel format - you can see how often the temperature is really spiking - it might not be necessary to detune the CPU at all if your temp only reaches above 90c occasionally.

Please let us know how it works out, and what settings you find work best :)

nuvolari7
04-16-2015, 09:11 PM
nuvolari7, setting to 99% is a good test, but a bit extreme to keep long term. Rather than set the CPU to "99%" performance, that setting actually completely disables Turbo mode, so your CPU never runs faster than base setting of about 2.4Ghz.

Now that you know reducing CPU performance helps get the heat under control, you can try some less extreme reduction and tune for before performance / heat :)

Using Intel XTU you can set the multipliers for all 4 Cores down a bit and adjust for temp vs performance.

You want to keep the CPU core temp's below 93c to stop throttling - CPU shuts down performance until temp drops again. This temperature situation kills performance.

I would suggest setting to 36x,35x,30x,30x on Cores and 36x for Cache for a start - or Max, Max, down 4x, down 4x and Max if your CPU multiplier range is different.

That will keep best performance for 1 and 2 Core loads, and start to reduce peak temps as the 3rd and 4th core come online. Reduce the 3,4 Cores more if temp is still too high, or increase Core 3 then Core 4 a step if temps are well below 93c.

Remember, the monitoring programs showing Max at 93c might have only seen that temperature hit for a brief single event, and for the most part might be running much cooler - you need to watch current temps closer than the single Max reading.

Logging the hwinfo64 monitoring, saving to a file, converting to Excel format - you can see how often the temperature is really spiking - it might not be necessary to detune the CPU at all if your temp only reaches above 90c occasionally.

Please let us know how it works out, and what settings you find work best :)

hmscott, thanks for the tips. Just wondering, is it bad to run with Turbo mode disabled? I find the performance to be adequate using that setting. But I'll give Intel XTU a try and see how it goes. Should I use balanced or high performance power plan after setting the multipliers?