PDA

View Full Version : Got the extra power supply... so now what?

Johnny_Steps
04-15-2015, 05:39 PM
After seeing from the replies in my previous thread about needing that extra 180W power supply adapter, I went ahead and purchased it.

I moved the 'jumper' or whatever back to its original setting (originally was middle, right and then moved it to left, middle like some people said if you only had one power supply) However I did this, and the HDMI connected to the GTX 970 wasn't working and wasn't being recognized. So now I'm going to move the jumper again to how it was before.

Is this the right thing to do? What's going on now ugh.. :| I just want to enjoy my new graphical experience.

Yeah and it was still having that 100% disk usage...

Johnny_Steps
04-15-2015, 07:48 PM
So let me elaborate more on what issue I'm having.

I ordered that extra power supply you right? The 180W to go with the 230W to power up the GTX 970 I have. Well.. here's the situation

With both plugged in:

Scenario One: JUMPER is on original settings, middle and right. Computer turns on, but the GTX 970 is NOT recognized despite me having the drivers for it. When the HDMI cable is plugged into the GPU directly, my monitor remains black and the computer reverts to the integrated CPU graphics. Disk usage is at 100% and computer runs kind of sluggish.

Scenario Two: Jumper is on the settings recommended by others on this forums for those with just ONE power supply, that being left, middle. GTX 970 is recognized, however disk usage is 100% and computer will EVENTUALLY function, but it spikes back to 100%.

ONLY with scenario two, when I tried powering the computer on with only the secondary power supply (180W), do I believe that something is wrong because it did not power up. Is this power supply not being detected or something?

This is the one I ordered, and yes, the input did go into the output!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GCST6YA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Johnny_Steps
04-16-2015, 08:14 PM
At this point I just don't know if this thing is contributing power to the rig. That's what I need to know.

rene_canlas
04-17-2015, 02:21 AM
My unit came with just the 180W power supply and the jumper is on the right and middle posts (btw, to be clear, my reference position is that i am standing in front of the bottom of the case, and the case is laying on its side). i bought a 230w (actually turned out to be 210w -- long story) psu off eBay and then i switched the jumper to left and middle before plugging in the psu. It worked. I think the slow hdd is another issue as i had encountered that several times before my upgrade to the gtx 970 dual psus. You may have gotten a bad 180w psu.