PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 upgrade plans??

psygorn
04-15-2015, 08:02 PM
hi guys, i herd that windows 10 is a free update for windows 7,8,8.1 and right now a beta of windows 10 can be installed.
just gonna ask what will asus do if and when windows 10 comes out would they update all of their drivers for our laptops and also what will happen to our recovery usb? since windows 10 is a free update for 1 year, if ever we reformat out hd do we need to re download windows 10 again since our recovery is stuck at windows 8.1? i know windows 10 is not due for a couple of months but some companies already released a statement for their plans when windows 10 arrives. and also does anybody here already tried windows 10? and the new internet explorer? hope some one can share their experience, and maybe some one from asus could shed some light on their plans for windows 10

hmscott
04-15-2015, 10:01 PM
hi guys, i herd that windows 10 is a free update for windows 7,8,8.1 and right now a beta of windows 10 can be installed.
just gonna ask what will asus do if and when windows 10 comes out would they update all of their drivers for our laptops and also what will happen to our recovery usb? since windows 10 is a free update for 1 year, if ever we reformat out hd do we need to re download windows 10 again since our recovery is stuck at windows 8.1? i know windows 10 is not due for a couple of months but some companies already released a statement for their plans when windows 10 arrives. and also does anybody here already tried windows 10? and the new internet explorer? hope some one can share their experience, and maybe some one from asus could shed some light on their plans for windows 10

psygorn, it sounds like a great question to pose to Asus directly:

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry with your question.

Please let us know what Asus says they plan to do, and be sure and dig in and ask lots of follow up questions as need - escalate the request as well if you aren't getting the answers from the first couple of people you hear back from.

DX6Or
04-15-2015, 10:16 PM
im running the W10 tech Preview and i love it btw....i wish i still had my G751 JT to play with W10 on

Korth
04-15-2015, 10:22 PM
I can't speak for Asus, but I'm sure they will have updated drivers available for download within days of (if not before) Microsoft's consumer Win10 OS launch. In fact, I would be a little surprised if drivers for core hardware aren't included in the OS libraries.

No doubt there will (as usual) be all sorts of minor bugs and compatibility issues at launch, and these will (as usual) largely be addressed through driver updates. The best way to ensure maximal bug-free compatibility between your particular hardware and Win10 would be to install the beta yourself and provide feedback (to Microsoft, Asus, etc) as necessary to report and resolve issues.

psygorn
04-16-2015, 09:34 PM
i dont want to jump the gun here, and besides if i ask asus directly its not like the heads of asus would be the one to answer, my question would probably be directed to some lvl 1 or even a lvl 2 if im lucky agent that wont have any better answer than i would. that saying, i would love to sign p for the tech preview of windows 10 but im not that technically trained and my feedback wouldnt help. i created this thread to find out if some one here have used windows 10 on their g751, or even an asus rep would answer but guess not. i just dont want this upgrade to be an upgrade on your own risk, seeing as its an os upgrade and its well within the warranty. i find it strange that people here overclock the processor, gpu and even the screen, and yet nobody has posted how windows 10 runs on this laptop. ill just keep an eye out on reports about windows 10, its not like im a reporter and ask a rep from asus a scoop about windows 10 lol, maybe ill try on youtube and ask jj about it. ill keep you guys posted :)

bahiista
04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I installed windows 10 just last night on the other HD of my G751JT, its running a bit laggy, not so smooth. but the IU is nice i like it more than 8.1. Will post more info about W10 after few days.

hmscott
04-17-2015, 10:27 AM
i dont want to jump the gun here, and besides if i ask asus directly its not like the heads of asus would be the one to answer, my question would probably be directed to some lvl 1 or even a lvl 2 if im lucky agent that wont have any better answer than i would. that saying, i would love to sign p for the tech preview of windows 10 but im not that technically trained and my feedback wouldnt help. i created this thread to find out if some one here have used windows 10 on their g751, or even an asus rep would answer but guess not. i just dont want this upgrade to be an upgrade on your own risk, seeing as its an os upgrade and its well within the warranty. i find it strange that people here overclock the processor, gpu and even the screen, and yet nobody has posted how windows 10 runs on this laptop. ill just keep an eye out on reports about windows 10, its not like im a reporter and ask a rep from asus a scoop about windows 10 lol, maybe ill try on youtube and ask jj about it. ill keep you guys posted :)

psygorn, you are an owner of a laptop with a support warranty asking a perfectly reasonable question of the maker of the laptop, why all the vacillating and over thinking?

Ask Asus directly for the truth as they know it now, and as the release time approaches for Windows 10, Asus will announce the final plan as it comes into focus for them, and will be revealed to their customers, just like it was for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.

Eliciting answers from people with no more information than you isn't going to get you anywhere :)

There have been several threads with lots of postings about the Windows 10 Preview, both in the G750 and G751 forums. Do a little more searching and you will find them.

hmscott
04-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Guys, I filed a Technical Inquiry asking:

"Hi!, I am asking you, Asus, what the official plan is for supporting Windows 10 on the G750 and G751 series.

What is the plan moving forward for supporting Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Release?

Will drivers and application updates be made available for the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ/JY? And same question for the G751JM/JL/JT/JY.

Thank you!"

Of interest is that the supported operating system / question category list included Windows 10 x86 and Windows 10 x64, which is what I selected for the question.

I will post the answer back. :)

Clintlgm
04-17-2015, 02:04 PM
If you interested in how the Windows 10 is coming along why don't you check in on the Windows 10 forum (http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php)
Asus History has been to have needed driver updates available ready when the OS is available to the public. Only if Asus plans to support the new OS. I say this because my P7P mother boards new in 2009, were not supported for windows 8. My View with my G75 coming with windows 7 is that window 8 drivers were ready at the time MS release 8 to the public. The same was true for Window 8.1. I would expect they will have any needed drivers need ready and released.

I personally use Macrium Reflect Pro and create Images regularly so I don't concern myself with factory reset partitions. I did create the AI Recovery Disk and have them to return this notebook back to factory shipped condition should I decide to sell.

I did not upgrade to Win 8.1, I clean installed created a few images during the configuration so I can reset back to Win 8.1 alone, then updated, then again after my main software was installed These are my restore points, I usually back up at least once a week on this notebook. My Data is backed up realtime to the cloud.

hmscott
04-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Guys, I filed a Technical Inquiry asking:

"Hi!, I am asking you, Asus, what the official plan is for supporting Windows 10 on the G750 and G751 series.

What is the plan moving forward for supporting Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Release?

Will drivers and application updates be made available for the G750JW/JX/JH/JM/JS/JZ/JY? And same question for the G751JM/JL/JT/JY.

Thank you!"

Of interest is that the supported operating system / question category list included Windows 10 x86 and Windows 10 x64, which is what I selected for the question.

I will post the answer back. :)

Guys, I got the reply back from Asus in about 16 hours. It is about what I expected, there is no official release date from Microsoft yet, so noone can predict the actual release date, but I am going to reply and ask what the intention for support of Windows 10 for the G750/G751 will be at release of Windows 10

"Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXXXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Currently I am afraid to say that I haven't recieved the reports about the accurate date the Windows 10 64 drivers of these notebooks could be released.
I would suggest you to pay attention to our website for updating.

Best Regards,
XXXXX
ASUS Product Support Team"

psygorn
04-19-2015, 04:06 PM
upon reading on some windows 10 news, the tech preview will end on april 15 2015 so i guess its already ended, and the official beta version will be released end of this month or early next month, if the mobile version does not have any major issues. reading through the article apparently it is stated that upon release you need to do an upgrade install from your current windows 7 or higher which means theirs no clean install version ( for the official not the tech preview or beta version) and upon completing the installation you cant roll back to your original windows. guess we really need to save our rescue usb to revert back. and the free upgrade is only for 1 year, which means if you dont upgrade the fallowing year you will be charge for the upgrade. i was thinking if this is the case then a couple of issues will be clear 1. is if its only an upgrade then is it not possible to get an iso of windows 10 for free? and also if an their is a problem on your laptop and you needed to reformat everything but it happened after a year are we going to be charge for the upgrade to windows 10 later? those issues are more microsoft problems. hopefully microsoft will address this issues later on. i will post this question once an official release date for the new os comes out

hmscott
04-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Guys, I got the reply back from Asus in about 16 hours. It is about what I expected, there is no official release date from Microsoft yet, so noone can predict the actual release date, but I am going to reply and ask what the intention for support of Windows 10 for the G750/G751 will be at release of Windows 10

"Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is XXXXX and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Currently I am afraid to say that I haven't recieved the reports about the accurate date the Windows 10 64 drivers of these notebooks could be released.
I would suggest you to pay attention to our website for updating.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

Guys, got the answer back (original question below)

"Dear XXXXX,

Currently the relative department hasn't give me a detailed list about the models of us that would officially support windows 10.
I would contact you once the relative department give me the related information.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

Original question:

[CASEID=XXXX]

Thanks Carter, I was more asking if there is an intention to provide Windows 10
drivers for the G750 and G751 models at all, not so much when it would happen - I
know we have to wait for an official release date from Microsoft before anyone can
commit to a final release date for support.

So, will Asus support the G750/G751 with driver updates and support for Windows 10?

Thank you XXXXX!, Scott

Clintlgm
04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Microsoft launched the very first Windows 10 Technical Preview build in early October 2014, and since then, the company has updated it several times, launching not only new versions but also plenty of improvements supposed to provide us with a glimpse into the feature lineup of Windows 10.

In an announcement on the Insider Hub, Microsoft warns that old versions of Windows 10, including build 9841, 9860, and 9879, expire today, so all those who are still running these need to update to a newer version if they want to continue using the technical preview.
Microsoft says that, in two weeks, these builds will stop booting completely, so you still have until April 29 to update your computer to the very latest version of Windows 10.

In addition the preview will be supported at least until Oct 2015 See this thread http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/1946-download-windows-10-technical-preview.html

hmscott
04-21-2015, 02:59 AM
Guys, got the answer back (original question below)

"Dear XXXXX,

Currently the relative department hasn't give me a detailed list about the models of us that would officially support windows 10.
I would contact you once the relative department give me the related information.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

Original question:

[CASEID=XXXX]

Thanks Carter, I was more asking if there is an intention to provide Windows 10
drivers for the G750 and G751 models at all, not so much when it would happen - I
know we have to wait for an official release date from Microsoft before anyone can
commit to a final release date for support.

So, will Asus support the G750/G751 with driver updates and support for Windows 10?

Thank you XXXXX!, Scott

"Dear XXXX,

You are welcome.
I would keep you updated.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

"[CASEID=XXXXXX]

Thanks XXXXX, please keep me on your list to inform about Windows 10 support for the G750 and G751 :)

Thanks again, XXXX"

hmscott
04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Windows 10 Release Date Revealed By AMD CEO
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/04/windows-10-release-date-revealed-by-amd-ceo/

"Windows 10 is set to launch in late July. This report was recently revealed by chip maker Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (NYSE:AMD), as noted by the company’s president and CEO, Lisa Su, during the second quarter earnings call.

She revealed the tidbit when answering a question about inventory plans. Su explained that with the upcoming Windows 10 launch in late July, they will be watching the impact it will have for the back-to-school season. The company expects a delay in the normal build-up of seasonal inventory."

AMD and Windows® 10
http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows

"Q: When will the next version of Windows be made generally available?

A: At a recent press event Microsoft stated that Windows 10® would be available “mid 2015.” "

hmscott
04-22-2015, 02:17 PM
"Dear XXXX,

You are welcome.
I would keep you updated.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

"[CASEID=XXXXXX]

Thanks XXXXX, please keep me on your list to inform about Windows 10 support for the G750 and G751 :)

Thanks again, XXXX"

Dear XXXX,

After checking, I am afraid to say that just the G751JL/JT/JY would officially support the Windows 10 later.

Best Regards,
XXXXX
ASUS Product Support Team

[CASEID=XXXXXX]

Thanks XXXXX, please keep me on your list to inform about Windows 10 support for
the G750 and G751 :)

Thanks again, XXXX

Update: Other Asus source(s) say there is no set in stone support decision yet for Windows 10 on the G750 series, and to stay tuned for updates.

Zenite
04-23-2015, 04:05 AM
Dear XXXX,

After checking, I am afraid to say that just the G751JL/JT/JY would officially support the Windows 10 later.

Best Regards,
XXXXX
ASUS Product Support Team

[CASEID=XXXXXX]

Thanks XXXXX, please keep me on your list to inform about Windows 10 support for
the G750 and G751 :)

Thanks again, XXXX

Update: Other Asus source(s) say there is no set in stone support decision yet for Windows 10 on the G750 series, and to stay tuned for updates.

Many of the drivers are going to be updated by the part manufactures anyway so it's not like Asus have so much work to do.
But since we are talking about machines targeting gamers, the market audience will want the best driver integration to bring the best usage out of DX12.
The machine is sold with X number of years of support, and that should be with reasonable consideration of recent improvements in technology. Which win 10 falls under

Zenite
05-01-2015, 04:02 AM
Nvidia beta driver for win 10
http://www.windowscentral.com/nvidia-launches-its-first-geforce-beta-graphics-drivers-windows-10

Cheetah
05-02-2015, 07:25 PM
I got my Asus G751JT-DH72 about two weeks ago. There are two 1TB HD is this model. I moved one of them to install a 256 GB SSD in it. So now I have this 1TB HD spare which I can use to play with Win10.
My question is , where can I find a beta copy of Win10?

Clintlgm
05-02-2015, 08:02 PM
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-insider-preview-upgrade-windows-7-8-a.html

hmscott
05-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Many of the drivers are going to be updated by the part manufactures anyway so it's not like Asus have so much work to do.
But since we are talking about machines targeting gamers, the market audience will want the best driver integration to bring the best usage out of DX12.
The machine is sold with X number of years of support, and that should be with reasonable consideration of recent improvements in technology. Which win 10 falls under

Zenite, it would be nice if Asus explicitly supported Windows 10 on the G750/G751, and provided driver updates in their respective support areas - as they did with Windows 7/8/8.1 transitions.

As you say the G750/G751 series are likely still mostly under warranty somewhere, and supporting current Windows releases for at least a couple of versions is typical.

Lets cross our fingers that Asus does indeed support the G750/G751's already sold for Windows 10 :)

escha
05-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Lets cross our fingers that Asus does indeed support the G750/G751's already sold for Windows 10 :)

I just wonder.... Will DX12 unlock iGPU to work alongside descrete graphics inside G751 ??

If so, will the cooling system keep it both cool while working simultaniously?

That's what I keep my fingers crossed for!

hmscott
05-02-2015, 09:37 PM
I just wonder.... Will DX12 unlock iGPU to work alongside discrete graphics inside G751 ??
If so, will the cooling system keep it both cool while working simultaneously?
That's what I keep my fingers crossed for!

escha, sorry man, the Windows 10 upgrade won't grow connections to the iGPU on the motherboard :)

It's a hardware design / connectivity issue. The iGPU will never work on non-Optimus laptops.

This is a good thing. :)

The iGPU is a bad idea that should die. Putting another heat generating processor on the same carrier as the CPU is stupid.

Making all the computer video go through the lowest power GPU, forcing all graphics to default to the lowest power GPU, making all Windows OS and applications only work through the lowest power GPU, and then trying to sell that laptop with an expensive high end discrete GPU is deceptive and inexcusable.

Why do people WANT the Intel GPU to be turned on in their otherwise wonderfully performing laptop??

The only thing I can figure out is people always want what they can't have, and they will fantasize about what they are missing, ignoring all the facts and empirical evidence to their detriment.

Read in the G750 forums posts from all the people wishing their Optimus G750's, that overheat, don't support >60hz internal display, apps that don't/won't use the Nvidia GPU, can't use their Nvidia Video controls to calibrate their displays, rendering that Thermal Throttles due to the iGPU heating up the CPU, and continually asking how to DISABLE Optimus and their Intel GPU - wishing they hadn't bought an Optimus laptop.

Be thankful you will never know the horrors of Optimus up close and personal :)

Zenite
05-04-2015, 04:41 PM
I don't think that's correct. The processor has access to both the iGPU and dedicated graphics card. It's up to DX12 and/or the game developer to then write the code to say if both exists, send block A of data to be processed to the iGPU (say physics) and block B of data to the dedicated graphics(frames).

What's more, the change in DX12 can in fact allow you to combine a Geforce gfx card along side an AMD gfx card in the same machine and it will work. I understand they are also removing the 8+8=8 issue found in SLI graphics, so in theory you'll be able to utilise the max memory found across multiple graphics cards.

As to why would someone want it? The same reason people pay thousands to a top end laptop or better graphics card in their system. the extra 5-10 FPS gives you an advantage.

Search REsults (https://www.ecosia.org/search/google?q=DirectX+12+Multi-Adapter+Rendering&l=&t=w1#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=DirectX%2012%20Multi-Adapter%20Rendering&gsc.page=1)

escha
05-04-2015, 05:31 PM
@hmscott
that's the point - I don't want igpu in Optimus conf...
I love that my g751jy doesn't have it, thats the reason i bought it first place...

I'd just love to have a choice wether to utilise or not the extra gpu unit my laptop anyway has (i7-4860hq/iris 5200 > just inactive)
If it will cose some lack of power or heat issues then ok...
Unless You are sure (like saw the schemes of MB cpu socket) that there are no physical connections to igpu I will keep my fingers crossed for the ivent igpu can be used alongside dgpu in conf that output is through nvidia unit!
Thats what i relate to, this particular example: G751JY 980M (output) + Iris 5200 (meaning, 60+ fps displays works, nvidia control panel works, g-sync works)

hmscott
05-04-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't think that's correct. The processor has access to both the iGPU and dedicated graphics card. It's up to DX12 and/or the game developer to then write the code to say if both exists, send block A of data to be processed to the iGPU (say physics) and block B of data to the dedicated graphics(frames).

What's more, the change in DX12 can in fact allow you to combine a Geforce gfx card along side an AMD gfx card in the same machine and it will work. I understand they are also removing the 8+8=8 issue found in SLI graphics, so in theory you'll be able to utilise the max memory found across multiple graphics cards.

As to why would someone want it? The same reason people pay thousands to a top end laptop or better graphics card in their system. the extra 5-10 FPS gives you an advantage.

Search REsults (https://www.ecosia.org/search/google?q=DirectX+12+Multi-Adapter+Rendering&l=&t=w1#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=DirectX%2012%20Multi-Adapter%20Rendering&gsc.page=1)

Zenite, you missed my point, and "DirectX 12 Multi-Adapter Rendering" wasn't brought up - now that you have I can also tell you it won't work on non-Optimus laptops with 1 discrete GPU.

The Intel GPU is completely non-accessible in the ROG non-Optimus laptops. It isn't connected - no wiring - dead un-powered inaccessible - zero access.

Asus has confirmed this many times, and in the forums, you are welcome to open a Technical Inquiry and ask Asus directly:

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry and ask.

If it was on, you wouldn't get 10fps more, but you would likely get 10c higher temp CPU with Thermal Throttling with the iGPU enabled :)

There is a new build, 100074 + new Nvidia DX12 beta driver 352.63, put in a spare 2.5" drive, install it all, and see for yourself.

Have fun :)

Cheetah
05-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Win 10 installed on a spare 1TB HD.
Will start testing ...... so far so good.

hmscott
05-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Win 10 installed on a spare 1TB HD.
Will start testing ...... so far so good.

Cheetah, nice. Are you running the new Nvidia DX12 beta driver 352.63 ?

Are there any DX12 demo's or game's to run yet? I can't find any, just the video's of it running on other hardware.

AQUASTEVAE
05-10-2015, 10:35 PM
been running windows ten since 9840, but haven't tried the new nvidia driver yet. i am still on 350. have any of you tried the 352 driver yet? while i
generally really like windows ten, i do feel it gets worse with each new variant. i still think 9860 was the most stable, and best running version of it so far. let's hope ms gets it right in the end.

Cheetah
05-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Nvidia DX12 beta driver 352.63 installed with Win 10.

AQUASTEVAE
05-11-2015, 08:55 AM

yes, but which bios are you running?

Cheetah
05-11-2015, 02:32 PM
yes, but which bios are you running?

AQUASTEVAE
05-12-2015, 05:08 AM

have you any desire to update to the new 207? do you feel that 206 is really good, and giving plenty of power and stability. or have you had problems with your rig, that could be the fault of 206?