PDA

View Full Version : Is this the sound of my HDD dying?

MarianaVL
04-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Hello everyone,

I've had my Asus G74SX for a couple of years now and never had any major issue - Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the laptop, which I use constantly for work and gaming.

A few weeks ago, I started to hear this pretty loud ticking noise coming from inside the laptop. It goes like... TOC--TOC--TOC (someone described it as a cartoon ticking bomb and that's exactly how it sounds). I re-started the laptop and the noise went away. In the past week, the problem seems to have escalated, and I'm not only hearing the noise, I'm also getting the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" -- I have to manually power off/on the computer several times before I'm able to get it to load correctly.

At this point, almost every morning when I start the computer I get the ticking sound right away, the ASUS screen and then the ""Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media..." message. You can listen to the sound here: http://www.fusiontechnologies.us/wp-content/themes/fusiontech/hdd-noise.mp3

Is this a sign that my hard drive is dying or could it be something else? The sound seems to be coming from the right side, where the HDD is located. Any suggestion about what to buy if it really needs to be replaced? Switch to SSD?

These are my computer specs:
System Model G74Sx
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
HDD 500GB - Seagate-Momentus - Mod ST1000LM024
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G74Sx.203, 9/23/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mariana

Clintlgm
04-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Sure sounds like a hard drive crashing to me!
You could go to the Seagate web page (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/)and download there tool to check the health of your hard drive.
I hope you have your data backed up