PDA

View Full Version : Non-resizable windows too small on G74SX.

Cat
11-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Hello. I had this exact same problem on my G73SW, and at the time I thought it was just something that happened to me and I didn't bother asking how to get it fixed since I was gonna exchange it for a G74SX anyway, but I have the same problem with this one too.

It's hard to describe, so I'll just show you an example from something I downloaded for Skyrim.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2345/asusproblem.jpg

To the left is what it's supposed to look like. To the right is what it looks like for me. This window is one of those that can't be resized, and pretty much all of them seem to have that problem, and it can cause issues such as not being able to select certain options, click certain buttons or read certain text. If anyone knows how to fix this I'd very much appreciate it. Google hasn't been any help since I actually don't know what to search for. For all I know this is some weird Windows 7 issue.

ScottinSoCal
11-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Have you enabled any of the accessibility features in Windows? Some of those will change your font size, which is what looks like is happening here. Try going into Control Panel>Ease of Access and verify everything in there is turned off.

Cat
11-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Have you enabled any of the accessibility features in Windows? Some of those will change your font size, which is what looks like is happening here. Try going into Control Panel>Ease of Access and verify everything in there is turned off.

I hadn't, but your post made me think of something, so I went to Control Panel>Display and set the option from the default to Smaller, and what do you know, it seems to be fixed.

Of course, now everything on the screen is ridiculously small, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Anyway, thanks. If anyone knows a way to fix this without having to change that setting to Smaller that'd be great. It's really strange that the default setting on Win7 would have such a problem.

Or maybe it's not that strange, considering it's MS I'm talking about. >_>

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I hadn't, but your post made me think of something, so I went to Control Panel>Display and set the option from the default to Smaller, and what do you know, it seems to be fixed.

Of course, now everything on the screen is ridiculously small, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Anyway, thanks. If anyone knows a way to fix this without having to change that setting to Smaller that'd be great. It's really strange that the default setting on Win7 would have such a problem.

Or maybe it's not that strange, considering it's MS I'm talking about. >_>
I don't think you had it on the default setting before, since the default setting doesn't do that. Did you import settings from your old WIndows installation? If you have been using personalized display settings that changed default font sizes, they would override Windows' basic DPI setting. You should check for that, since that will continue to override anything else you do.

In any event, you can try to fine-tune it a little bit. Go to that same Control Panel -> Display windows you found before, and over at the bottom of the left column, you'll see an option for "Set custom text size (DPI)." Rather than jumping from 100% up to 125% with the pre-sets, you could try something in between, like about 110% or so. (Note, you have to actually "drag" the little ruler to get anything other than the pre-sets.)

Cat
11-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Considering it actually says "(default)" on the Medium 125% setting...

Anyway, 110 seems to work fine too. Thanks for mentioning the custom settings.

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 09:41 AM
My computers all have default at 100% without ever having been changed. This is why I wondered whether you were using imported settings, or had elsewhere changed your font settings (in personalizing the desktop, for example).

Cat
11-20-2011, 10:21 AM
It's pretty much a fresh install.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9873/g74sx.jpg

JRd1st
11-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I use smaller. Even on the 17" display it's plenty large for my 58 y/o eyes to see with no strain. And everything fits, too. ;)