PDA

View Full Version : G73SW-BST6 Touchpad, Ctrl Key, and Power Port problems

aooi
11-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I have an Asus G73SW-BST6, purchased 6 months ago.
First off, I'd like to point out some problems that are rather annoying, but I can live with:

-The touchpad is horrible! After about 1 minute of use, it becomes completely frizzy and starts jumping all over the place. It's difficult for me to manage, and I end up having to take my mouse everywhere I go because of it.

-The CTRL button keeps thinking that it's pressed. I don't know what's going on with that, but scrolling up and scrolling down isn't the best thing in the world. It isn't because something is stuck under the key; the CTRL button is "released" when I open the on-screen keyboard.

Other than the problems listed above, there is one problem that I can't live with.

The charger has problems. The battery itself is fine, I think. I see the green light on all the time. It's the tip of the charger and the socket on my laptop that has problems. It only work on a certain angle; sometimes it won't even work at all. If I move the plug around in the socket, I hear a little crackling sound--crackling sounds can never be good. So my questions are: Can I fix this myself? If not, can the Asus Support Team fix it if I send it in? Thanks.

Finally, one more question: Since the warranty on this laptop is still active, and it does cover accidental damage, will ASUS fix my power port as well as my touch pad for free, aside from shipping price? Or will I have to pay for the parts?

fuzon1337
11-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi

Have you tried to update your touchpad drivers? (->New Drivers (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers), choose the right touchpad driver from that thread)

About your charger issue it sounds like the cable from the AC adapter tip is broken (that can causes because when yout notebook is charging the cable can get in many angles, and when it had enough some of the wires inside break of and then the charger won't charge your computer).

So to see if it's the charger it is something wrong with I would go to the store and bought a new one. Just to be sure it is nothing wrong with the socket in your notebook.

Then if it's the socket, Asus would replace and do it for free under warranty.

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I have an Asus G73SW-BST6, purchased 6 months ago.
First off, I'd like to point out some problems that are rather annoying, but I can live with:

-The touchpad is horrible! After about 1 minute of use, it becomes completely frizzy and starts jumping all over the place. It's difficult for me to manage, and I end up having to take my mouse everywhere I go because of it.
This is not a software issue.....no driver is going to fix it. This is a well-known and documented problem in the G73 and the only solution is to RMA it to Asus and hopefully go through someone like Chastity who knows the problem and what's actually required to fix it. Many (if not most) Asus techs do not yet understand how to repair it properly.

-The CTRL button keeps thinking that it's pressed. I don't know what's going on with that, but scrolling up and scrolling down isn't the best thing in the world. It isn't because something is stuck under the key; the CTRL button is "released" when I open the on-screen keyboard. Many, but not all, owners with keyboard malfunctions have found that updating to the latest BIOS and ATK packages resolved the problem.

Other than the problems listed above, there is one problem that I can't live with.

The charger has problems. The battery itself is fine, I think. I see the green light on all the time. It's the tip of the charger and the socket on my laptop that has problems. It only work on a certain angle; sometimes it won't even work at all. If I move the plug around in the socket, I hear a little crackling sound--crackling sounds can never be good. So my questions are: Can I fix this myself? If not, can the Asus Support Team fix it if I send it in? Thanks.

Finally, one more question: Since the warranty on this laptop is still active, and it does cover accidental damage, will ASUS fix my power port as well as my touch pad for free, aside from shipping price? Or will I have to pay for the parts?It sounds like the power jack is loose. These are soldered onto the M/B, so unless you're really good at that stuff (and want to risk voiding your warranty), I'd say you need to let Asus fix it. I don't know if they simply re-solder it or replace the whole M/B, but either way, they should be able to fix it just fine. This is a fairly common failure in laptops, so they probably see a lot of these. (Note: It's the crackling noise that makes me think it's not just the wiring in the cable, as fuzon suggested. I've seen that problem, and it doesn't make noise.)

Your warranty covers both defective items, for free, and they may even pay for shipping, though I'm not positive about that last part.

(PS: Don't call the power jack failure "accidental damage" when you talk/write to them. It's simply a failed or defective part on a 6-month-old laptop, therefore, it's under warranty.)

(PPS: Those first two problems are not ones that you should just live with. They keyboard and touchpad are basic input devices and they should work properly. Period. Seek resolution on these issues.)