PDA

View Full Version : G74SX 5400 rpm HD performance issues

junko_tamiya
11-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Hello,

I have a G74SX with a 5400 rpm hard drive.

When I play games like City of Heroes or Lineage 2, my game looks beautiful and smooth... UNTIL the computer needs to access the hard drive, in which case my game freezes for about 5 seconds. This hard drive transaction happens far too often for my tastes.

(I thought having 12 GB of RAM would have made all these disk accesses not necessary, since the game's memory foot print and even the space the game takes up on my hard drive combined would fit into available RAM).

I have tried setting Windows 7 to NOT use a paging file, since I never see my computer come close to using all 12 GB or RAM via Windows' Resource Monitor (even with the paging file turned off), in hopes of reducing hard drive transactions. I think this helped a little bit, but not much.

#1: Are there any settings changes that can be done to improve this dreadful performance? As it is, this supposed high-end gaming laptop is behaving worse than my older, cheaper previous ACER laptop.

IF it turns out that settings changes does not help because the hard drive ASUS installed in my laptop sucks, such that I need to buy an SSD to replace the 5400 rpm drive with....

#2: What kind of SSD (size, interface, etc) do I need to buy? (I have never bought an SSD before)

#3: Any suggested SSDs that are particularly fast and ideally inexpensive?

#4: Are there instructions available on what to install, and where to get said installation media? (I had looked at the "G73/74/53 Series Driver and Application Reference" sticky, but got overwhelmed by all the stuff there, not knowing what was applicable specifically for my laptop versus other models).

I really WANT to like my G74SX, but as it currently stands, it is quite a disappointment. All these random 5 seconds freezes makes gaming frustrating, not enjoyable, and gets my toons killed. Any help in answering my questions and salvaging this notebook would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-JT

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Before you do anything else, do this if you have an Atheros Wifi.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

junko_tamiya
11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi JRd1st,

Actually, I disabled the built-in wireless n adapter via Device Manager.

I have a 300MBit/sec setup at home, and for some reason, the G74SX's built-in adapter could not do better than 65MBit/sec connections, even 1 foot from the wireless router.
(At least the G74SX's internal wireless actually worked.... my older, cheaper ACER notebook, the 8943g, has an out-right defective internal wireless...)

So, instead I am using Linksys dual-band 300MBit/sec USB adapter on the G74SX. (Also on my ACER)

JRd1st
11-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Well, that driver screws stuff up even if it isn't active. Take my word. ;)

junko_tamiya
11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi JRd1st,

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of problems manifest with the old Atheros WIFI driver?

Also, is there a reason such a driver update is not pushed out via the ASUS updater app (with an icon on the right part of my Windows taskbar)?

Thanks,
-JT

BrodyBoy
11-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi JRd1st,

Actually, I disabled the built-in wireless n adapter via Device Manager.

I have a 300MBit/sec setup at home, and for some reason, the G74SX's built-in adapter could not do better than 65MBit/sec connections, even 1 foot from the wireless router.
(At least the G74SX's internal wireless actually worked.... my older, cheaper ACER notebook, the 8943g, has an out-right defective internal wireless...)

So, instead I am using Linksys dual-band 300MBit/sec USB adapter on the G74SX. (Also on my ACER)
The stock WLAN card is a single stream N-card that maxes out at 150Mbs. With the right settings, you could probably get it up to that, but with your faster dual-stream router, it makes sense to upgrade to a faster alternative. There are a variety of 300Mbs internal cards you could upgrade to, if you'd rather not have the USB dongle hanging out the side. They're cheap, too....less than $40.

As JR said, I would be sure to actually uninstall the Atheros driver. Disabling the device(rather than just turning off the wireless) should have the same effect, but that driver's very persistent and I wouldn't trust it.

deltra
11-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Hi,

For the Hard Drive, I had that problem on one of my other laptops. Google WDIDLE3 if it is a WD HDD. There is a problem with WD and it parks the drive after 4 seconds which causes a freeze. This may void warranty so proceed at your own risk.

junko_tamiya
11-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Hello,

Per JRd1st's suggestion, I updated my Atheros wireless network driver. However that did not help, in regard to the 5 second freezes I keep getting in games, whenever the computer has to read the 5400 rpm hard drive.

Any other suggestions?