PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750JX CPU at 95C !

copticbomba
04-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Hey everybody,

i have purchased an ASUS G750JX Notebook in August 2013 and it ran well till the beggining of the year. It started with shutting down during gaming. The problem was solved by playing without the battery but now it's shutting down after 5 minutes of gaming. I've used CPUID HWMonitor to see that the cpu temperature is at 95C. I wasn't even gaming, I just watched some videos on youtube. In the Task Manager it shows me that the cpu is 80% used. One possibility is that there is dust but every other hardware temperature is normal so I don't know if thats really the problem. I don't want to disassemble my notebook unnecessarily.

Wat should I do?

Thank you in advance :)

P.S: Sorry for my bad english (It's not my first language)

Wulff
04-22-2015, 04:12 PM
if the cpu uses 80% when just watching a video then there is an issue with windows i bet. open taskmanager and see wich program is eating all that cpu power and then either disable or uninstall it if it is something you dont need. so thats the biggest problem then,

however 95 degrees for the cpu is on the hot side of things. so if you didnt clean out the fans for a while this might be the time to do that as well.

Good luck and kind regards

navis995
04-22-2015, 09:23 PM
If you don't mind reset your disk completely by formatting it and reinstall the windows.
That will clear all the possible viruses/issues you have with/in the computer.

Otherwise scan with avast and anti-malware for viruses, malware, roots, etc.

Then monitor the temperatures with HwInfo. Check task manager to see what's using it, etc.

If you don't find the verified source it's a hardware problem.

If it's that then if you have warranty return it for RMA. If you do not have it any more then blow in the fan area with your mouth or try with dust blower or something that will blow the dust out. If you know how to disassemble the device do it and clean the fans.

If nothing of above worked then I am of no help and I don't know what you should do.

Cheers

hmscott
04-23-2015, 03:52 AM
Hey everybody,

i have purchased an ASUS G750JX Notebook in August 2013 and it ran well till the beggining of the year. It started with shutting down during gaming. The problem was solved by playing without the battery but now it's shutting down after 5 minutes of gaming. I've used CPUID HWMonitor to see that the cpu temperature is at 95C. I wasn't even gaming, I just watched some videos on youtube. In the Task Manager it shows me that the cpu is 80% used. One possibility is that there is dust but every other hardware temperature is normal so I don't know if thats really the problem. I don't want to disassemble my notebook unnecessarily.
Wat should I do?
Thank you in advance :)
P.S: Sorry for my bad english (It's not my first language)

copticbomba, when monitoring CPU/GPU temps, sometimes the Maximum temp looks very high, 95c is 2c above Thermal Throttling point, but it might have only hit that temp very briefly - it is good to turn on logging, and watch/log the temperature for an extended time, then read the log with Excel and look through the Maximum temps during the entire session - many have found that the Maximum peak was only reached once or a couple of times.

If the Maximum temp is a brief hit, and most of the time the temp stays low, then I wouldn't worry about re-pasting.

Did hwinfo64 actually show a Yes in any of the Thermal Throttling columns?

Your laptop is old enough that it could be time to blow out the dust, but then again, I have opened my laptops after a couple of years and had no dust collected to speak of - it is up to your environment.

If you have a 1 year warranty you are slightly out of coverage, but Asus might still clean it out and repaste if they think it necessary (doesn't sound like it so far), and only charge you a small fee - or even nothing. If you have a 2 year warranty it's getting close to time to send it in to get it cleaned.

Pulling apart the laptop can lead to causing problems, unless you are experienced at laptop dis-assembly, and more importantly laptop re-assembly :)

Check the long term temps first, and then let us know how often the temps go to 93c and higher.

Also, 80% CPU usage for watching a video is too high - unless you are watching a 4k@60fps video. For a normal 1080p video CPU usage should be a few % and maybe 10% or so GPU if you are using hardware acceleration. Use the task manager to see if any other processes are running - like a media indexer in this case is most likely.