PDA

View Full Version : If a blackout occur while you plug in without battery laptop can damage your system?

Saphire
04-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Last night i was downloading a movie so i leave my laptop without battery plugged in but there was a blackout..does it damage my whole system? if it does what should i do next?should i leave it power off for awhile?

My laptop is Asus G551M

joshindaphils
04-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Just losing power in no way should damage your system. There are things the cause power outages (e.g. lightning) that can damage your system. Generally though you need not worry.

If there was any damage there is not much you can do other than replace what was damaged. Waiting a while will do nothing. Power in my area is lousy it is one of the reasons I got a laptop to begin with, I have been though at least a dozen power outages with this laptop. That is one of the great things with laptops I can continue to work while the power is out (essentially a built in UPS), as well laptops tend to fare better with generator power.

GhostriderZ85
04-23-2015, 08:00 PM
How do you think desktop PC survive power outages? No it won't damage your hardware, but it can corrupt your OS/software.

Korth
04-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Sudden power loss can reduce NVFLASH longevity if it interrupts a Write process. Killing power during a firmware update is Very Bad Thing. Killing power during an SSD Write is not good but - unless it happens frequently - the over provisioning and wear-levelling logic built into the drive will usually be able to automatically compensate.

Any unwritten data (in a Write cache) will be lost, and some degree of data corruption is always likely (depending on what you are running/doing before power loss) - promptly running system maintenance software to rebuild/reinstall critical files and repair damage to the file system usually fixes things well enough. Simply restarting Windows and letting it do its automatic thing will often suffice.

But if you notice your OS starts to go wonky after a power loss event then you should reinstall from a clean copy. Or at least reinstall all the drivers and apps you can from clean copies.

Why don't you use your battery?