PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Asus G751JY RAM Controller & Channel's

yxc001
04-24-2015, 05:20 AM
Dear Asus ROG Community,

i have a question about the Asus G751JY motherboard.
I just bought a 8GiB RAM model and i wanna upgrade it in the feature (if possible dual channel)

and ask for following things:
-wich ram slots are accessable without disassembly the whole device.
-what ram slots use wich channel

The Asus support dont wanna help me with the reason "we dont know near details to the device because and we dont support upgrades" so i wanna ask the forum.

maybe someone tested it befor or disassembly the notebook and saw some notes on the motherboard.

thanks in advance

TeMagic
04-24-2015, 05:58 AM
If you buy the 16GB version you have two empty ram-slots easily available, which support a maximum of 16GB for a total of 32GB.

yxc001
04-24-2015, 06:04 AM
not in my store,

in case i send this notebook back and order a 16GiB version i have 3 empty slots.

so i ordered 8GiB and wanna upgrade it to 16GiB with another 8GiB RAM (equivalent to the used ram)

hmscott
04-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Dear Asus ROG Community,

i have a question about the Asus G751JY motherboard.
I just bought a 8GiB RAM model and i wanna upgrade it in the feature (if possible dual channel)

and ask for following things:
-wich ram slots are accessable without disassembly the whole device.
-what ram slots use wich channel

The Asus support dont wanna help me with the reason "we dont know near details to the device because and we dont support upgrades" so i wanna ask the forum.

maybe someone tested it befor or disassembly the notebook and saw some notes on the motherboard.

thanks in advance

yxc001, hopefully your laptop came with 1 8GB SODIMM, which means you have 3 slots available to add more 8GB SODIMM's for a total of 32GB.

The bad news is if you have 1 8GB SODIMM, in order to fill up the laptop with memory - you will need to open the top to get at the empty slot next to the occupied one under the keyboard.

The other 2 empty slots can both take 8GB SODIMM's, so you can ignore the one that's tough to reach and add 1 8GB SODIMM to get 16GB.

If your 8GB's consists of 2 4GB, then you can add 2 more 4GB to the empty slots available under the bottom access panel, and you are all set :)

To find out what you have installed, use CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab, and select each filled SODIMM slot to see what is in there.

Mine came with 3 x 8GB, so I only need to add 1 more SODIMM, which I got off of ebay - a Macbook pull - used and tested. Via CPU-Z it has the same specs, make and model as the SODIMM's that came with the laptop.

And, that is what I usually suggest, find the Make, Model, part number of the installed SODIMM's and order more of the same. It is the most compatible and if you search for sales / deals you can get them for the same price as the bargain stuff.

Trying to save a few bucks by buying cheap memory, matching spec parameters is a hit and miss - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't - over time I have found it is best to suck it up and work to get the same memory as installed.

This what CPU-Z looks like for my SODIMM's

You can use CPU-Z to find out what make/model/part number you have installed and google for a good deal on more.

Please come back and let us know what you have installed, where you found to purchase and how it works out :)

yxc001
04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the reply hmscott,

http://i.imgur.com/exRV8H9.png
thats how my RAM currently looks like and the problem is i wanna upgrade it to 16GiB instead of 32GB
and for sure i wanna use the Dual Channel function of my CPU so i wanna know what slot use wich channel

example:
Slot 1 = Channel A1
Slot 2 = Channel A2
Slot 3 = Channel B1
Slot 3 = Channel B2

and what slots are aviable by opening maintenance flap only so i can check if i am able upgrade to 16GiB dual boot without completly opening the device.

and if yes in wich of the slots i have to place the ram slot to use the dual channel. (currently slot 2 is in use.)

Clintlgm
04-24-2015, 12:47 PM
So you have 1 8GB in slot 2, you'll need to put 8 GB in slot 1 under the keyboard to run dual channel. Slots 3 and 4 are accessible. You'll have to open up your notebook to access the 1 and 2 slots. Have a look in your user manual and you'll see this is the case. This is not Asus problem it is the Vendor that set it up this way. Vendors will do anything to make you think your getting a better deal.
You can find you owner manual here at Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) or on the DVD that came with your notebook? If you got one

yxc001
04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
So you have 1 8GB in slot 2, you'll need to put 8 GB in slot 1 under the keyboard to run dual channel. Slots 3 and 4 are accessible. You'll have to open up your notebook to access the 1 and 2 slots. Have a look in your user manual and you'll see this is the case. This is not Asus problem it is the Vendor that set it up this way. Vendors will do anything to make you think your getting a better deal.
You can find you owner manual here at Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1) or on the DVD that came with your notebook? If you got one

thanks for the answer but i dont know if my example correct (if so thats very unusual)

on pc motherboards its usually like:
Slot 1 = A1
Slot 2 = B1
Slot 3 = A2
Slot 4 = B2

And are you 100% sure that Slot 1 and 2 is under the keyboard?

and i dont have any problem, i just request how the ram channels are switched and till now i didnt get any clear answer. The Asus VIP Support doenst give me any informations.

In the owner manuel i didn't found anything related to RAM (random access memory) thats why i contacted the asus support and about setting up the notebook... the box was sealed so iam pretty sure that asus set it up this way.

warryabel
04-24-2015, 02:38 PM
try and error... 2 slots available the chance to get dual is 33% ,right or 50? :cool:

yxc001
04-24-2015, 04:50 PM
try and error... 2 slots available the chance to get dual is 33% ,right or 50? :cool:

i dont like this idea...
looks like Asus isnt really transparent and i dont like to support such a company.
my idea was that maybe some1 from the community got the information from asus and wanna share these infos but looks like iam wrong,

i still have 10 days to revoke the purchase so if Asus dont change the mind and become a bit more transparent i'll never buy something from asus again (desktop & notebook)

i paid like 2000€ and dont get all required infos for the device i mean this is a really ***** move or i am wrong?

hmscott
04-24-2015, 05:07 PM
i dont like this idea...
looks like Asus isnt really transparent and i dont like to support such a company.
my idea was that maybe some1 from the community got the information from asus and wanna share these infos but looks like iam wrong,

i still have 10 days to revoke the purchase so if Asus dont change the mind and become a bit more transparent i'll never buy something from asus again (desktop & notebook)

i paid like 2000€ and dont get all required infos for the device i mean this is a really ***** move or i am wrong?

Clintlgm gave you the correct answer. You need to add the 2nd 8GB SODIMM to the free slot on the top under the keyboard to get Dual Channel support between slots.

Why isn't that answer good enough for you??

You could add 2 8GB SODIMM's to the free slots under the access panel under the laptop and they will run in Dual Channel mode.

You will not notice a performance difference between Dual Channel and not Dual Channel, except in benchmarks, so don't sweat it if you don't want to disassemble the top to get at the free slot to enable Dual Channel for the already install SODIMM.

You really need to relax a bit, kick back, and let the facts seep in, there is no need to condemn Asus for making a configuration that requires opening the top panel, it just is what it is.

If you had done your research before buying the laptop, read these forums, and learned all you could before making your purchase you would have known this before buying what you bought.

The memory configuration, pairing the 2 top slots and the 2 bottom slots has been the same for several generations of ROG laptops. This isn't news.

Try not to panic and allow that not everything is perfect, and learn to live with and make work what you have as best as possible, and above all, enjoy it :)

You have an awesome laptop, don't nit pick it to death. If you really want a configuration with 2 x 8GB already installed in the top slots then take back the one you have, save up some more $, and get it.

Please come back and let us know what you work out :)

yxc001
04-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Clintlgm gave you the correct answer. You need to add the 2nd 8GB SODIMM to the free slot on the top under the keyboard to get Dual Channel support between slots.

Why isn't that answer good enough for you??

You could add 2 8GB SODIMM's to the free slots under the access panel under the laptop and they will run in Dual Channel mode.

You will not notice a performance difference between Dual Channel and not Dual Channel, except in benchmarks, so don't sweat it if you don't want to disassemble the top to get at the free slot to enable Dual Channel for the already install SODIMM.

You really need to relax a bit, kick back, and let the facts seep in, there is no need to condemn Asus for making a configuration that requires opening the top panel, it just is what it is.

If you had done your research before buying the laptop, read these forums, and learned all you could before making your purchase you would have known this before buying what you bought.

The memory configuration, pairing the 2 top slots and the 2 bottom slots has been the same for several generations of ROG laptops. This isn't news.

Try not to panic and allow that not everything is perfect, and learn to live with and make work what you have as best as possible, and above all, enjoy it :)

You have an awesome laptop, don't nit pick it to death. If you really want a configuration with 2 x 8GB already installed in the top slots then take back the one you have, save up some more $, and get it.

Please come back and let us know what you work out :)

Thanks for the answer and basicly i dont need to disassembly the notebook to get dual

lets check following scenarioes:

A1 + B1 = under keyboard (current ram is in B1)
A2 + B2 is under the maintenance flap so i'll place the new 8GiB RAM into A2 to get dual.

A1 + A2 = under keyboard (current ram is in A1)
B1 + B2 = under the maintenance flap so i'll place the new 8GiB RAM into the B1 / B2 slots

doenst matter how i set it up i'll get dual on both of this scenarioes but i want details

something like (its probabbly incorrect)

Slot 1 = under keyboard (closer to the board) channel is A1
Slot 2 = under keyboard (above) channel is A2
Slot 3 = under maintenance flap (closer to the board) channel is B1
Slot 4 = under maintenance flap (above) channel is B2

this is what i want i dont want tips how to get dual channel (i know how to do it, i just said my plan to make it comprehensible)
i want location + channel of each slot.

sorry for the confusion.

hmscott
04-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the answer and basically i dont need to disassembly the notebook to get dual

lets check following scenarios:

A1 + B1 = under keyboard (current ram is in B1)
A2 + B2 is under the maintenance flap so i'll place the new 8GiB RAM into A2 to get dual.

A1 + A2 = under keyboard (current ram is in A1)
B1 + B2 = under the maintenance flap so i'll place the new 8GiB RAM into the B1 / B2 slots

doenst matter how i set it up i'll get dual on both of this scenarios but i want details

something like (its probably incorrect)

Slot 1 = under keyboard (closer to the board) channel is A1
Slot 2 = under keyboard (above) channel is A2
Slot 3 = under maintenance flap (closer to the board) channel is B1
Slot 4 = under maintenance flap (above) channel is B2

this is what i want i dont want tips how to get dual channel (i know how to do it, i just said my plan to make it comprehensible)
i want location + channel of each slot.

sorry for the confusion.

yxc001, it's not confusing, it's just a matter of reading, and thinking about it until an ordered comprehension occurs, and that takes time with hands on confirmation. :)

Please come back and let us know how it performs when you have the SODIMM(s) in hand, try plugging them in different slots to confirm the numbering of the slots, and see how they pair for Dual Channel.

Have fun :)

warryabel
04-24-2015, 07:57 PM
yxc001, it's not confusing, it's just a matter of reading, and thinking about it until an ordered comprehension occurs, and that takes time with hands on confirmation. :)

Please come back and let us know how it performs when you have the SODIMM(s) in hand, try plugging them in different slots to confirm the numbering of the slots, and see how they pair for Dual Channel.

Have fun :)
thats what i say...

escha
04-26-2015, 12:51 PM
i'll chime in, hope it's not too late and i admit, i did not read the whole topic but want to put some light on the topic

You can achieve double channel conf with 1 stick of ram under keyboard and 1 stick of ram in service bay (i have such conf in my g751JY: DIMM1 - Channel A 8gb and DIMM0 - Channel B 8gb)
Channel A: DIMM 1 and 3
Channel B: DIMM 0 and 2
So both channels are accessible from the bottom too (DIMM 0 and 3); 1 and 2 are under keyboard

yxc001
04-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Channel A: DIMM 1 and 3
Channel B: DIMM 0 and 2

thats what i wanna hear, thanks.
can you also give me the location of each slow? so i dont have to try and error while i install my 2nd ram stick?

Clintlgm
04-27-2015, 05:44 PM
As has been said use Hwinfo64 this program will show you exactly what RAM you have and where it is located. Some other programs will also show you I just use Hwinfor64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) because it works. What ever timing your current RAM system has you will have to match including voltage. If possible match the brand and part number if you can.

escha
04-28-2015, 05:10 PM
thats what i wanna hear, thanks.
can you also give me the location of each slow? so i dont have to try and error while i install my 2nd ram stick?

i got 1 under keyboard so i don't know in what physical slot it is,
the 1 in service bay is in the uppermost slot, the one closer to you when looking at it... in my case at least... can't help you here, BUT hey!! you got only 2 possibilities...

Bkla777
01-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi
Ive just joined and this seems to be the most reasonable thread to ask...
also keep in my mind i havent written in forums in ages so forgive me when this is all wrong somehow :3
also a nooblet when it comes to component specs and all...

now... im not sure if I have ONE 16GB or TWO 8G SODIMM's in my ROG G751JY-T7204
980M 8G
16gb ram

But what I really need to know is which SODIMM works best as they all vary a lot...

are all these specs a must or just best compatible? and are there any extra o:

DDR3
1.35V
1600MHz
204 PIN

Currently im looking at this one http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_silicon-power-sp008glstu160n02-ddr3-1600-204pin-1945594.html
eventho voltage is not specified
Thanks in any case, hf gl

JustinThyme
01-20-2016, 04:13 PM
What you have now is 2x8GB sticks, The Haswell CPU only supports 8GB sticks so you can have a maximum of 32GB of RAM.
The specs page of the ram you listed confirms it to be the correct voltage of 1.35V and it matches the speed of the stock RAM.

Cant say for sure if its compatible or not, doesn't appear to be one that has been confirmed by other users. Generally even if its a little faster it will still work, just the bus speed will default to the slowest stick installed and detected by SPD.

https://www.silicon-power.com/product/product_dram.php?devices_dram=2&dram005=95&dram001=DDR3L

Bkla777
01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Hm.. great help! thanks

Is there a specific brand or type of ram that you would have in mind o: ?
Faster as in 1600MHz? I dont even know how fast are my SODIMM's atm >.<

I see now i have much to read :b
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53752-1-35V-memory-required-in-G751-G771-G551s-(same-as-G750)&highlight=G751jy+upgrade

JustinThyme
01-20-2016, 05:29 PM
I removed the stock sticks and installed 4 8GB sticks of 2133Mhz and it works flawlessly. Picked up on the SPD and adjusted accordingly as there are no memory settings in the BIOS of these machines.

Gskill (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231776&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+%28Notebook+Memory%29-_-N82E16820231776&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_fy0BRCwiLaQ5-iFgpwBEiQA884sOXwMfrPbd2PCFHkgY32C4DqadvQ0tbOtbcyI ycD0efUaAjBC8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Bkla777
01-29-2016, 07:26 PM
I removed the stock sticks and installed 4 8GB sticks of 2133Mhz and it works flawlessly. Picked up on the SPD and adjusted accordingly as there are no memory settings in the BIOS of these machines.

Gskill (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231776&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+%28Notebook+Memory%29-_-N82E16820231776&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_fy0BRCwiLaQ5-iFgpwBEiQA884sOXwMfrPbd2PCFHkgY32C4DqadvQ0tbOtbcyI ycD0efUaAjBC8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds)

Do you think these G.Skill's are a good buy for my G751JY?
hf gl