PDA

View Full Version : G750JS adding an SSD

Jeeper
04-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Hello,

New to the forum. I purchased a G750JS a couple months ago, it was on sale and I really wanted a portable gaming rig.
It came with a 1TB hdd. I wanted to add an SSD to run my os and my games. I read a few threads on how to go about this.

I went the Asus backtracker route. All went well, and I'm currently running my os off of the SSD. My issue is all my other programs, games, etc are on the hdd.
What's the easiest way to go about moving my games to the ssd? Also, all of my save files?

Lastly, my SSD is divided into two partitions, 93.1gb(58 free) and 118 gb. Is there a way to change the size of the partitions?

Thanks for the help. n00bie trying to learn.

hmscott
04-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Hello,

New to the forum. I purchased a G750JS a couple months ago, it was on sale and I really wanted a portable gaming rig.
It came with a 1TB hdd. I wanted to add an SSD to run my os and my games. I read a few threads on how to go about this.

I went the Asus backtracker route. All went well, and I'm currently running my os off of the SSD. My issue is all my other programs, games, etc are on the hdd.
What's the easiest way to go about moving my games to the ssd? Also, all of my save files?

Lastly, my SSD is divided into two partitions, 93.1gb(58 free) and 118 gb. Is there a way to change the size of the partitions?

Thanks for the help. n00bie trying to learn.

Jeeper, you reloaded the OS onto the SSD, so you now need to reinstall all those apps and games boot on the SSD.

You can't transfer the games/apps from the old install to the new install, there are files installed everywhere and registry changes in that OS install as well.

That is why people clone their OS install from an HDD to their new SSD to preserve their installs and configuration.

For a new laptop I find that I have done a lot of experimentation during earlier ownership, and that original HDD is now a bit hodge podge, a mess :)

So, for me it is easier to just reinstall everything knowing what I learned installing the first time - I can do a better job the 2nd time around on the new SSD.

You can copy over your personal files, images, music, etc to the new locations and most apps will pick up on that when you run then again after copying the files over.

Also, I would preserve that old HDD as is for now, set it on the shelf, and get a new 2.5" SSD or HDD to put in the 2nd bay. I have found the heat from an HDD adversely affects the G750 temps so I put them outside the case in a USB 3.0 enclosure.

I wouldn't erase that old HDD, you can always boot on it in an emergency, make another Backtracker flash recovery from it should yours go missing, and you can send off your laptop for RMA using that old HDD instead of risking sending your current SSD.

The old HDD that came with the laptop likely can be had for $50, and for few dollars more you can get a lot faster 1TB HDD's and 2TB HDD's that will fit in the bay :)

Deleting the 2nd mounted partition is easy, then you can add the now freed up space into the C partition. You can do this all from the Windows Storage Manager.

To delete the recovery partition on the new SSD you will need to use another tool, like Windows diskpart command line tool from a cmd window Run As Administrator and set the override to delete a system partition.

Some info here, with a further link with details:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58961-G551-Backtrcker-no-option-to-delete-recovery-partition&p=483705&viewfull=1#post483705

Have fun :)