PDA

View Full Version : G750JW and Witcher III

Kecken
04-25-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi Community,

i am wating so eagerly for The Witcher III coming out soon, cause i am a real Fan of open world RPG games. I don't buy games that often, but this one would be awesome to play. Now that i saw recently the minimal system requirements i was a kind of shocked a bit :D. So i visited canirunit to see if my laptop is capable of running the game (i don't have any need to play it in ULTRA or something like that, but it sais i can not run it. So what do you think - will there be any possibilities to run the game (although it will be in a lower resolution and details)? There will be no demo available and i dont want to spend 50-60 euros only to find out that i can't run it...

Thanks and best regards :)

hmscott
04-25-2015, 08:49 PM
Hi Community,

i am wating so eagerly for The Witcher III coming out soon, cause i am a real Fan of open world RPG games. I don't buy games that often, but this one would be awesome to play. Now that i saw recently the minimal system requirements i was a kind of shocked a bit :D. So i visited canirunit to see if my laptop is capable of running the game (i don't have any need to play it in ULTRA or something like that, but it sais i can not run it. So what do you think - will there be any possibilities to run the game (although it will be in a lower resolution and details)? There will be no demo available and i dont want to spend 50-60 euros only to find out that i can't run it...

Thanks and best regards :)

Kecken, don't waste your time with those tools, they don't measure laptops well. It is unfortunately up to you to do the estimation.

The 765m performance can be imrpoved quite a bit by setting the GPU/memory speeds up with Asus GPU Tweak tool for Graphics cards, not the For Laptops one - that is for the G750JM/JS/JZ/JY that have Optimus

The Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards will let you set the GPU and memory frequency higher. The GPU speed can be set all the way up on the slider - that maximum is set by the BIOS/vBIOS of the JW, unless you have a faulty GPU you can run at the full +135mhz.

The GPU memory speed is something that you can't set and damage the GPU, but you can crash the display driver and possibly get a BSOD. If that happens as you are trying to find the highest stable speed, just reboot and start again 100hz lower :)

Here are my settings for my G750JW, note that the GPU Tweak for Graphics cards versions of today don't show as high a GPU clock as back then. I think it was determined that was a display anomaly, then actual max speed was still +135.

At the time we didn't know the voltage settings weren't actually taking/making effect - GPU-Z shows actual values, and the voltage change in GPU Tweak doesn't show up in GPU-Z - now I wouldn't even enable setting it.

You can also add some performance by unlocking the multipliers for your CPU with Intel XTU - just move the sliders up for all 4 Cores and your Cache, and you will gain more performance. You can also undervolt the CPU to reduce heat generation - takes tuning the voltage down until you BSOD and then back off a bit.

Here are my current settings for my G750JH - my CPU is a i7-4700HQ - the newer CPU's can go a bit higher in multipliers :)

You make the changes (in Yellow here, load a Profile and clock on Show), Apply, and then Save a profile to load at the next boot.

Given those improvements, you should get a few more FPS at whatever Video settings you end up using, and it might let you increase the eye candy a notch or two higher :)

Remember, you can get higher texture settings if you reduce/disable the Physx settings and reduce the Post processing Anti-aliasing etc. Reducing the resolution a notch can help too.

You likely won't be able to run at highest settings, but at least you should be able to play the game.

Please let us know how it works out for you when you get the game, and what settings work best for you on the G750JW OC'd :)

Kecken
04-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Wow, that truely is some good advice. I try to find the downloads for the tools and play around a bit with these. :) Is there any chance to ruine my laptop with that tuning?

Thanks a lot for your long answer! And if i might be able to play the game - it would be awesome :)

hmscott
04-26-2015, 06:03 AM
Wow, that truely is some good advice. I try to find the downloads for the tools and play around a bit with these. :) Is there any chance to ruine my laptop with that tuning?
Thanks a lot for your long answer! And if i might be able to play the game - it would be awesome :)

Kecken, not as long as you watch your temperatures with something like hwinfo64 (sensors only mode), and keep the CPU under 93c and the GPU under 90c. I doubt you will get close to those temps, but just in case, watch temps for a while.

The CPU Thermal Throttles over 93c, but Apple runs them up to 100c, so you won't do any damage in the G750JW. The GPU does the same, it Thermal Throttles and protects itself.

Lots of people use these tools to tune performance, Intel / Nvidia /Asus write the APIs/apps to tune their hardware, it's accepted and protected by them for you :)

Here are the download locations:

Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards, currently at release 2.8.2.0 for the G750JW/JX/JH and G751JT/JY
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS%20GPU%20Tweak%20for%20Graphics%20cards&hashedid=n/a

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - XTU - 5.1.2.2
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=xtu

hwinfo64 - I usually download the beta
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Have fun :)

Kecken
04-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the detailed infos and links, i am going to try that and hope to be able to play the game :)))

Best regards and have a nice day ahead :)

Kecken
04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi hmscott,

i did the changes according to your screenshots in both programs and run Assassins Creed Unity. It enhanced the fps very much!! Pretty cool :) But there is one problem: there is a black flicker every 4-5seconds. Do you have any idea where that is coming from? I have no clue about overclocking etc. And what is the highes possible temperature for the GPU without damaging it?

Thanks and best regards again :)

Kecken
04-26-2015, 06:58 PM
In Skyrim i don't get this flicker - so it must be related to the game. My CPU hits a temperature of around 74C and my GPU around 67C. Seems to work fine. I am really astonished how much the perfomance gets enhanced by this o_O. Why doesn't the laptop come with that configuration out of the box?

Kecken
05-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Hi hmscott and others,

so Witcher 3 was released now and i tried playing it. Unfortunately i only get some fluent gameplay when decreasing all graphic settings to "low" and play it on 1366x768. There is a window mode, where it looks not bad but small of course - but when selecting the full window mode you can imagine what that looks like on a FullHD desktop. What i don't understand: in tests the 765M graphic card and the processor are listed as being able to play it on "high" settings in FullHD resolution. Wanted to play that so bad :(

Snisify
05-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Hi Kecken I also use the G750JW for playin the Witcher 3, with the GPU Tweak I could run the game at 1600x900 with setting low on everything except texture high I can get 24-30 fps, and I think if you play at lower res you could gain more fps

Kecken
05-27-2015, 04:18 PM
And which are your settings for GPU tweak? Same like hmscott ones? I haven't find a setting yet where i would be comfortable playing it. Not talking about beauty, but fluent gameplay... :/

Snisify
05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Here is my setting: http://imgur.com/5y3lUlS