PDA

View Full Version : Asus g73 problem after disassembly - solved?

Sayuko
04-26-2015, 07:06 PM
Hello, ROG community.

Today I decided to take apart my trusty G73 to clean it. After 4 years of good service, the vents were clogged with dust, so it was really time to clean the beast.
However, after putting it back together, I experimented a bunch of problems :
1- the PC won't start without its battery. If I power it up without battery, the buttons will flash for 1-2 seconds, then stop. It will then proceed to reboot infinitely into oblivion, sometimes starting, but without its screen. Note that I also seem seem to have this problem when plugged on sector with battery.
2-When powered up, the PC will sometimes run Windows normally, then freeze at random short intervals. One of these freeze mean I've got to restart completely the computer. These freezes don't seem to be performance related, as so far, the three freezes happened when I was playing Binding of Isaac, Ffxiv, or nothing at all.

So I ask of thee : could you help me?

Thanks in advance for your trusty advice.

Sayuko
04-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Hello, ROG community.

Today I decided to take apart my trusty G73 to clean it. After 4 years of good service, the vents were clogged with dust, so it was really time to clean the beast.
However, after putting it back together, I experimented a bunch of problems :
1- the PC won't start without its battery. If I power it up without battery, the buttons will flash for 1-2 seconds, then stop. It will then proceed to reboot infinitely into oblivion, sometimes starting, but without its screen. Note that I also seem seem to have this problem when plugged on sector with battery.
2-When powered up, the PC will sometimes run Windows normally, then freeze at random short intervals. One of these freeze mean I've got to restart completely the computer. These freezes don't seem to be performance related, as so far, the three freezes happened when I was playing Binding of Isaac, Ffxiv, or nothing at all.

So I ask of thee : could you help me?

Thanks in advance for your trusty advice.

justinzon
04-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Well mines a G74sx but the tear down is similar and i have to do this about once every two months so i can feel your pain.
As you well know its no easy task.
My first guess is loose or unconnected lead...
Back engineer the process of Assembly and check all your connections.
There are so many things you could have missed in re assembely I couldnt even mention but if you use this video as reference it may help narrow it down..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrmvR0d2WY

C4RN1
04-27-2015, 11:35 PM
If I were you I would clean and reseat the ram and video card. Only use one stick of ram at first. I would bet you either have bad ram or the ram/gpu isn't getting a good connection.

You can clean the ram and video card connector pins with an eraser, then gently wipe the pins with a cotton swab saturated in isopropyl to clean up any left over residue.

Also check over all of your zif connectors (kb, touchpad, backlight, power buttons, sata controllers) and cables. If you aren't careful the cable can separate causing all sorts of weird issues. You can straighten them back out with your fingers then be very careful getting them back into the zif connectors.

Let us know how it goes

Sayuko
04-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Well I think I managed to find the problem, it works flawlessly now.

During my initial teardown, I didn't touch the MB, besides the vent. This time I took it one step further and removed the heat sink. And I discovered my motherboard was literally plastered in thermal paste.

My hypothesis is that, being an isolant, it prevented some components from interacting with each other, creating huge losses of electricity preventing a normal start.
Moreover, in case the loss of electricity didn't prevent the computer to start, I think the thermal paste diffused the thermal problems in all the motherboard, resulting in quick overheating.

After cleaning, there is no more problem. With intensive gaming, GPU and CPU clock in at 63 C, according to speed fan.