PDA

View Full Version : GL551JW-Ds74 Fan Cleaning Suggestions Requested

Pakoron
04-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Can anyone suggest an excellent way to dust the gl551jw-ds74's fan? I only see an exhaust vent to the left of the laptop and some vents under the laptop near the front. I'm not sure if blowing air inside the exhaust or the front vents will be safe because it looks like the dust will just go deeper in the laptop unit. It would have been easy to clean if the intake and exhaust vents are near the fan, but since the ds74's design only has the exhaust near the fan, it looks like I have to open the case to actually clean the fan. I have no idea how to do that, and I fear that I'd void the warranty or something if I tried.

Long story short, I need help with cleaning the fan for the gl551jw-ds74. Detailed procedures would be great ;)

Here's a link to a photo of the underside of the ds71, a unit that has the same case as the ds74, from a review on thewirecutter.com
http://thewirecutter.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/10budgetgaming.jpg

TheUglyDuckling
07-10-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi,

Can anyone suggest an excellent way to dust the gl551jw-ds74's fan? I only see an exhaust vent to the left of the laptop and some vents under the laptop near the front. I'm not sure if blowing air inside the exhaust or the front vents will be safe because it looks like the dust will just go deeper in the laptop unit. It would have been easy to clean if the intake and exhaust vents are near the fan, but since the ds74's design only has the exhaust near the fan, it looks like I have to open the case to actually clean the fan. I have no idea how to do that, and I fear that I'd void the warranty or something if I tried.

Long story short, I need help with cleaning the fan for the gl551jw-ds74. Detailed procedures would be great ;)

Here's a link to a photo of the underside of the ds71, a unit that has the same case as the ds74, from a review on thewirecutter.com
http://thewirecutter.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/10budgetgaming.jpg

Did you end up finding a solution? I am trying to figure out how to clean my laptop as well.