PDA

View Full Version : G74SX Theme Problem

muthurs
11-20-2011, 05:15 PM
My laptop is not displaying the Aero theme even when it isn't set on Battery Saving mode. What can I do?

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Will it switch to an Aero theme if you go to the Personalization window and select one?

muthurs
11-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Will it switch to an Aero theme if you go to the Personalization window and select one?

Nope :(

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
What happens when you try? Do you get an error message or anything?

muthurs
11-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Nope... it doesn't change at all... when I'm selecting the basic Aero theme it shows that I have an aero color but when I'm trying to change it it shows me the basic color setup scheme.

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Maybe what's happening is that Windows is set to maximize for "performance." Try this:

Start ->Right-click on Computer -> Select Properties
Select "Advanced system settings" (in the left column of the window)
Select the "Advanced" tab at the top of the dialogue window
Click on "Settings" in the Performance section
Select "Adjust for best appearance" (or at least make sure that the Aero settings are checkmarked)

muthurs
11-20-2011, 08:04 PM
It is checked... same thing. It was working fine til now but after I switched the power profiles 3 hours ago it got bugged.

muthurs
11-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Take a look.

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Do you use Power4Gear? Is that where you made the power profile changes?

muthurs
11-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Yes I use power4gear but I didn't change anything to it. It's all as it came out of the factory ^.^

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes I use power4gear but I didn't change anything to it. It's all as it came out of the factory ^.^
Hey, did you notice that option at the bottom of your Personalize window (in the screenshot you posted): "Troubleshoot problems with Aero and transparency effects"

I think Windows must recognize that some settings are non-standard, because I don't have that option on mine. Have you tried that troubleshooting wizard?

(So where did you change power settings? In Windows Power Management?)

muthurs
11-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I troubleshooted it and it told me that there is no problem with it. I'm changing my power settings by clicking on the ROG button.

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh, okay. That's using Power4Gear. (Personally, I think Power4Gear causes more problems than its supposed convenience can possibly be worth.) I would try to revert to whatever power setting you were using before, or uninstall Power4Gear completely.

muthurs
11-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Uninstalled it... nothing happened. I'll try a system restore

BrodyBoy
11-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Yeah, probably a good idea....

Verruckt
11-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Go on Control Panel > Power Options > Power4Gear Battery Saving > Change advanced power settings.
Maximize ASUS P4G Power Setting, maximize 'Battery Saving Desktop', change the options there to 'Disable' and click Apply.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/8734/73083669.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/73083669.jpg/)

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 04:01 AM
But the problem persisted even with P4G uninstalled.

Verruckt
11-21-2011, 04:06 AM
But the problem persisted even with P4G uninstalled.

Then install P4G back and do what I said, I was freaking out with no Aero on battery saving setting too, and I figured out that's the option that removes Aero.

Verruckt
11-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Btw there's an app called Power4Gear Hybrid, open start menu and search for it, I'd rather use Power4Gear now than Windows power options.

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 04:11 AM
Better yet....he should uninstall Power4Gear.....permanently!....and never deal with this problem again :) As I said earlier, I think that program causes more issues than any perceived "convenience" warrants. It's unnecessary, and it's crapware....IMHO.

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Btw there's an app called Power4Gear Hybrid, open start menu and search for it, I'd rather use Power4Gear now than Windows power options.
I don't install any of that junk..... ;) I can set up all the power profiles and configurations I want in Windows, without the headaches.

Verruckt
11-21-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't install any of that junk..... ;) I can set up all the power profiles and configurations I want in Windows, without the headaches.

True, I never install any of that junk too, but I got used to it.

muthurs
11-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Last night I did a system restore and now everything is fine. If I'll have this problem again I'll try what Verruckt suggested me to do. Thanks to both of you.

JRd1st
11-21-2011, 12:06 PM

I thought it was NBR that had the "Notebook Evangelicals". :D

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 08:21 PM
I thought it was NBR that had the "Notebook Evangelicals". :D
Lol! No, it's actually THIS site that has "evangelicalized" me!

If you just browse through here and read of various problems and troubleshooting scenarios, that program comes up WAY too much. "What are your P4G settings?" "Try uninstalling P4G." "Try re-installing P4G." "Help! My P4G isn't working...!" "Oh-oh, P4G messed up my desktop!" "Oh-oh, I think P4G is turning off my USB ports!" ...and on and on and on...... There's enough of that, IMHO, to conclude that Asus's power management software is overly-invasive, poorly-written crapware that causes more problems than it's worth. Windows already offers all the power management options and customization that anybody could need, so why invite these potential problems?

dstrakele
11-22-2011, 05:04 AM
Amen, I hear ya brother! I'm starting to think P4G is conflicting with NVIDIA and ATI video drivers... Why else would backrevs to previous version video drivers (even the stock driver that once worked correctly) still have issues and the only resolution is a clean install of Windows?

AQUASTEVAE
11-22-2011, 08:43 AM
If you just browse through here and read of various problems and troubleshooting scenarios, that program comes up WAY too much. "What are your P4G settings?" "Try uninstalling P4G." "Try re-installing P4G." "Help! My P4G isn't working...!" "Oh-oh, P4G messed up my desktop!" "Oh-oh, I think P4G is turning off my USB ports!" ...and on and on and on...... There's enough of that, IMHO, to conclude that Asus's power management software is overly-invasive, poorly-written crapware that causes more problems than it's worth. Windows already offers all the power management options and customization that anybody could need, so why invite these potential problems?

hey brodyboy, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. i was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on rather i should use the program power4gear or not? do you think it is worth installing it?

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
hey brodyboy, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. i was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on rather i should use the program power4gear or not? do you think it is worth installing it?
....I'm guessing you're being facetious?? Lol!

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 12:05 PM

ROFL :D. He's even convinced me, I uninstalled it yesterday. :p

Amen, Brother! HALLELUJAH !

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
ROFL :D. He's even convinced me, I uninstalled it yesterday. :p

Amen, Brother! HALLELUJAH !
Now I'll have to wear you down on all that Wireless Console crap....!! :)

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 12:24 PM
No, I uninstalled that a week ago.

But if they fix the inability to control Intel BT, I'm reinstalling. :p

AQUASTEVAE
11-24-2011, 03:53 AM
....I'm guessing you're being facetious?? Lol!

;)yeah, just having some fun with ya!