PDA

View Full Version : G73S driver issues? or Hardware issues (video)

sweetleaf85
11-20-2011, 11:09 PM
i think my video card is crapping out... (GEFORCE GTX460M CUDA 1.5)

I can watch youtube and surf the web just fine for hours, i can even play such games as GTA San Andreas, N64 emulator, or online web browser games....

but if i try to play GTA 4 or any thing better, or plug in an HDMI cord, or a VGA cord, or watch HULU, it goes to a black screen and shuts off, usually making a repeditive noise from the speakers.

it even does it on fluidmark tests and whatnot...

so far i'v tried...
-driversweep and reinstall (by the sticky in the forum)
-Throttlestop
-Taking the laptop almost completely apart, cleaning it out and putting it back together
-and leaving it in the freezer for a while (actually somewhat helpful)

so in summary... do i need a new card and can i upgrade :)

Thanks for reading

JRd1st
11-21-2011, 12:08 AM
For the heck of it try nvidia 285.38 beta.

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 12:46 AM
it says "installation failed installer failed to find compatable hardware"

the NVIDIA site also says my computer is not ready for BF3, but i do have it installed.
it used to play for a minute or two before crashing before i updated drivers (285.62) now it just crashes at the main menu...

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 12:55 AM
so i just tried the new "285.79-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta" NVIDIA drivers and got the same results...
im about to put it in the freezer so i can play some gta sa

i'm afraid ill have to do some work :(

do you think i could upgrade to a better card? i'm just not too sure about swappin out laptop parts.
it'd be my luck, i would buy it and it wouldnt fit.

or perhaps could i repair this one...
lovely dog btw ;)

dstrakele
11-21-2011, 03:03 AM
Did you try using Driver Sweeper after uninstalling your current NVIDIA driver before attempting to install 285.38? I've seen posts where users say they need to clean install Windows to recover from problems experienced with the latest NVIDIA drivers. It makes me think attempts at backrevving fail because uninstallation of the problem driver version is incomplete.

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 03:13 AM
im about to try the correct 285.38 beta for my machine.. lol

and your dog looks feisty lol

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 03:55 AM
OK, i used driversweep in safe mode and succesfully got 285.38 on my laptop, but i still get the same results with any test i run... crash in the middle D;

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 04:05 AM
i just used an app called nvidiaInspector while i plugged in a vga monitor... the temp climbed from 43 to 52, then jumped back down when i unplugged it...

heatsync maybe? fan?

oh god im freakin out again....
time to open it up again i guess

dstrakele
11-21-2011, 05:32 AM
I'd choose to open the laptop up and attempt to blow dust out with compressed gas through the fan exhausts. If that fails to lower your temps signiificantly (like from 90 down to mid-low 50c - 52 isn't something to worry about) when under stress, then you might be looking at a repaste procedure.

sweetleaf85
11-21-2011, 05:42 AM
it starts to screw up around 50c and it just keeps getting worse...
i wounder if the fans are blowing hard enough..

and i do have a button that does nothing, in the top left three in between screen button and lights button that has a speedometer on it... whats that for?

sweetleaf85
11-22-2011, 05:28 AM
For the heck of it try nvidia 285.38 beta.

you know somethin? that got me back to hdmi out. Thanks a bunch :D

but it still doesnt like GTA4 tho...

dstrakele
11-22-2011, 05:49 AM
it starts to screw up around 50c and it just keeps getting worse...
i wounder if the fans are blowing hard enough..

and i do have a button that does nothing, in the top left three in between screen button and lights button that has a speedometer on it... whats that for?

The speedometer key? That tells ya how fast yer goin'! It is a mobile PC after all... ;>{)> Actually this is how it is described:

"Turbo/Express Gate Key - Pressing this button will launch Express Gate when the Notebook PC is powered off. Refer to the Express Gate User's Manual for details.

Pressing this button will boost system performance to the turbo mode when the Notebook PC is powered on. Press again to switch back to the previous mode."

I wish I could answer why your machine is shutting down when the GPU is only at 50c, but I'm outta bullets at the moment... I'm thinking it is NOT a fan issue or overheat issue, however. The 285.38 BETA is optimized for BF3. Other games may exhibit degraded performance. And of course, being a beta version, it is possible to encounter issues.

UPDATE: Take a look at this thread: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it It may help you with GTA4.

sweetleaf85
12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
and yeah... the beta drivers really did work well for a while, i got all games to work again.... but now they crash, sometimes to a blue screen.... D:
maybe ill update to that new "Verde" drivers and give them a try.

and thank you verrry much again!!

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 09:36 PM
NVIDIA has a 290.53 BETA out now. There's a link in JR's "Drivers, Apps, and How-to's" thread. I installed it over the 290.36 BETA choosing "Clean Install" from the Custom installation to remove that version. I also followed someone else's advice to run the installation in Safe Mode to help avoid installation conflicts with other running drivers.

So far, I find it resolved the video corruption issue in Skype and is more stable on my external monitor (i.e. the resolution or configuration to be my extended desktop doesn't change inadvertantly as it did with 290.36). However, a black vertical band with a red stripe now appears on the right edge of my external monitor when the display resumes from a 10 minute inactivity power off, but I can work around that.

I believe there is also a 290.35 'official' driver from the ASUS web site that you could try.