PDA

View Full Version : should i, could i - put a filter on the air vents?

GoAsusGo!
04-30-2015, 03:02 PM
should i put a filter on the two air vents? can it be done? should it be done? which way does the air flow.. in or out?
halp! :-D

Dcite
04-30-2015, 09:59 PM
On the G750 series, along with most other laptops, air enters from the bottom and exits out the back/side where you feel heat coming out.

I can't say anything about adding air filters, better to just have a cleaner room with left dust to begin with :)

GoAsusGo!
04-30-2015, 11:05 PM
i rarely hear the fans , or feel any air blowing in or out of the vents.
is there an app that will tell me if/when the fans are blowing?

i tried CUPID HW MONITOR.

Ntwlf
04-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Hi GoAsusGo!,
Air filters always restrict air flow to some extent, so any fan needs to have a high enough static pressure to overcome the restriction forced upon it, whether it be a heatsink, radiator, filter or any combination therein.

Laptop fans are quite small (compared to a desktop pc fan) and usually doesn't have much more static pressure than whats needed to draw air into the laptop and push the air through the heatsink and out of the vents. I am aware that some laptops have air filters built in, but, in following some of those laptops on forums they tend to run hot. The solution on the threads, was to remove the factory installed air filters.

In finishing, I suggest an aerosol can or 2 of "compressed air duster". You can usually find them in the PC Supplies section of stores. In using this solution, I recommend spraying air into the exhaust ports first, then spray into the intake ports. As this tends to help dislodge dust better. Do be careful with the straw on the air can, don't push it into any openings anymore than 1/8 of an inch so as to not potentially damage any components inside. Suggested intervals of cleaning would probably be once a week for daily laptop use for the average person. And a one second burst of air at each location (vent) should be sufficient to remove dust. Unless it's really caked with dust (no airflow whatsoever), then this may require disassembling the laptop for thorough cleaning.

Now just in case anyone gets this idea, "I do not recommend using a vacuum cleaner". Do to the extremely high probability of static discharge from the end of the vacuum hose or wand. The static discharge can and will fry electronics. Just a friendly warning.

I hope this helps.

Edit for additional info, this may benefit in certain situations/circumstances.
A possibility for filtering the air coming into the laptop, providing the air enters (intakes) from underneath, and I'm presuming the laptop doesn't get moved (ie...setting it on your lap) as you will see in the construction I suggest. And you could make this one cheaply.

Get a wooden Picture Frame with the same to a little smaller dimension as the laptop, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/DAX-Document-Inches-Rosewood-DAXN3246N1T/dp/B001CDW5SO/ref=sr_1_56?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1430440743&sr=1-56. Also get the "blue" Home HVAC Fiberglass Air Filter, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Furnace-Filter-20X25X1-FILTER/dp/B000LNJT9E/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1430441000&sr=1-8&keywords=hvac+air+filter, as it's the least restrictive I know of.

Remove the hardboard back & glass so that your left with the bare frame. Now place the hardboard back onto the air filter and cut it to the same size and then lay the air filter aside for now. This next part can be a little tricky to explain. Measure in from each edge of the hardboard back by about an 1/2 an inch and draw your lines with a pencil. And then with a box knife, (be careful please), cut along the lines you have drawn and remove the inner hardboard. What you should have left now, is what looks like (sort of) another picture frame. Now lay the air filter you had cut out, into the wooden picture frame (where the glass was) and then lay the hardboard frame (you also have just cut out) on top of that. Now it needs fastened together. I suggest a staple gun http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-T50-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B00002ND61/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430441893&sr=8-1&keywords=arrow+staple+gun for this task, but you can use small tacks and a hammer as well.
Are you all beginning to see where this is going.https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

The finishing necessity is elevating the "Picture Frame Air filter" from the surface it rests upon, so that air freely enters from underneath. There's many solutions for this, so here is one. A strip of wood trim to fasten only to "2" opposite sides of the frame, and the wood strip wide enough to extend below the frame raising it up at least an inch from the surface it rests upon, so that air will enter from the other 2 sides and pass up through the filter and then into the laptop vents, in which you place on top of this whole contraption.https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.png

This should work quite well because of the large surface area of the filter opposed to the laptop air intake cooling vents.

dne0gen
05-01-2015, 01:51 PM
You haven't stated what actually made you think about using air filters. I would assume you think that by using filters, less dust will go into your laptop, but that is not 100% true. While it MAY stop some dust from going in it, there will still be dust in it and there isn't really anything you can do.Dust doesn't enter only from the vents, even if it is the primary spot it does.
As long as you keep (at least) the place where you put your laptop clean, and by clean I mean just wipe off the dust once a week, you are good.
Don't get obsessed by the fact that your laptop can take too much dust because there isn't much to do here.
Cleaning your air vents once a week or so with compressed air is more than enough to keep it dust free in the spots that matter for it to work properly.

Jaitsu
05-02-2015, 01:57 AM
I wouldn't try to add a filter, no. As others have said, adding any kind of filter reduces the amount of airflow - which is the same effect that collecting dust would have. Generally speaking, unless you're in a VERY dirty environment, dust isn't harming the computer in any way other than blocking the exhaust vents, and in my experience, the design of the G750 series (drawing air from the bottom) is pretty effective in reducing the amount of dust. I've taken mine apart a few times after a year of heavy use, and there was hardly any dust to speak of inside mine, without having done any modifications.

hmscott
05-02-2015, 05:57 AM
should i put a filter on the two air vents? can it be done? should it be done? which way does the air flow.. in or out?
halp! :-D

The G750's are ideal for using an intake filter; all the air comes up through the bottom vent. The G751 seems to pull air from other places as well, so filtering the intake fan may not be enough.

DEMCiflex filters for laptops
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

"Laptop computers are notoriously difficult to clean as all the parts are hidden inside and special skills are needed to open and clean them. Combine this with the fact that these computers can be used outside or in other dusty environments then the problem just becomes worse. That is why dust is probably the no 1 killer of laptops.

DEMCiflex Laptop Filters were designed to be used when you have no choice but to use your laptop in a less than clean environment. These filters are universal and fit most laptop computers available today."

They also make custom sizes:

http://www.demcifilter.com/cu8/Custom-Filters.aspx

http://www.demcifilter.com/

"DEMCiflex filters for laptops are disposable filters with a peel-and-stick foam frame, as opposed to the desktop DEMCifilters with a magnetic frame for computer and electronic devices. This ensures that the filter will stay put as you move the laptop computer when you use it."

Please come back and let us know if you try them, and how you like them :)

beatc
05-02-2015, 01:32 PM
If you want the cheap and fast way to block dust to your laptop, you can use those white fabric sheets and tape them on the vents underneath the laptop.

hmscott
05-02-2015, 07:41 PM
If you want the cheap and fast way to block dust to your laptop, you can use those white fabric sheets and tape them on the vents underneath the laptop.

beatc, that's a good idea, but you might want to tape on the used ones, the fresh ones are blocked with fragrance, and will make your laptop smell lemony fresh ;)

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 05:18 AM
I took it apart, didnt have much dust..

hmscott
05-03-2015, 06:11 AM

GoAsusGo, that's what I try to let people know, after looking at 1000's of laptop internals, technicians find very few are the dust bunny farms people expect :)

Deskside cases are on the ground and closer to the bunnies, hair, dust being kicked up by walking around, and so they really benefit from filters over the fan intakes.

Laptops are up high and above all that, and if treated well, won't suck in much dust.

Those little screens over the intake would reduce dust intake to near zero.

As long as you have the laptop open, you can upgrade the top memory.

G.skill 2133mhz 8GB x 4 would be fun :)

hmscott
05-03-2015, 06:13 AM

GoAsusGo, that's what I try to let people know, after looking at 1000's of laptop internals, very few are the dust bunny farms people expect :)

Deskside cases are on the ground and closer to the bunnies, hair, dust being kicked up by walking around, and so they really benefit from filters over the fan intakes.

Laptops are up high and above all that, and if treated well, won't suck in much dust.

Did you do some before/after cleaning temperature tests to see how much of a temperature improvement cleaning provided?

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:02 PM
then i put a sheet of fabric softener over the intake vents on the bottom...

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:08 PM
On the G750 series, along with most other laptops, air enters from the bottom and exits out the back/side where you feel heat coming out.

I can't say anything about adding air filters, better to just have a cleaner room with left dust to begin with :)

actually, i do vacuum my computer, desk & chair everyday. but its not in a closed room. theres always gonna be dust around. i dont live in a sealed box.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Hi GoAsusGo!,
Air filters always restrict air flow to some extent, so any fan needs to have a high enough static pressure to overcome the restriction forced upon it, whether it be a heatsink, radiator, filter or any combination therein.

Laptop fans are quite small (compared to a desktop pc fan) and usually doesn't have much more static pressure than whats needed to draw air into the laptop and push the air through the heatsink and out of the vents. I am aware that some laptops have air filters built in, but, in following some of those laptops on forums they tend to run hot. The solution on the threads, was to remove the factory installed air filters.

In finishing, I suggest an aerosol can or 2 of "compressed air duster". You can usually find them in the PC Supplies section of stores. In using this solution, I recommend spraying air into the exhaust ports first, then spray into the intake ports. As this tends to help dislodge dust better. Do be careful with the straw on the air can, don't push it into any openings anymore than 1/8 of an inch so as to not potentially damage any components inside. Suggested intervals of cleaning would probably be once a week for daily laptop use for the average person. And a one second burst of air at each location (vent) should be sufficient to remove dust. Unless it's really caked with dust (no airflow whatsoever), then this may require disassembling the laptop for thorough cleaning.

Now just in case anyone gets this idea, "I do not recommend using a vacuum cleaner". Do to the extremely high probability of static discharge from the end of the vacuum hose or wand. The static discharge can and will fry electronics. Just a friendly warning.

I hope this helps.

Edit for additional info, this may benefit in certain situations/circumstances.
A possibility for filtering the air coming into the laptop, providing the air enters (intakes) from underneath, and I'm presuming the laptop doesn't get moved (ie...setting it on your lap) as you will see in the construction I suggest. And you could make this one cheaply.

Get a wooden Picture Frame with the same to a little smaller dimension as the laptop, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/DAX-Document-Inches-Rosewood-DAXN3246N1T/dp/B001CDW5SO/ref=sr_1_56?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1430440743&sr=1-56. Also get the "blue" Home HVAC Fiberglass Air Filter, similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Furnace-Filter-20X25X1-FILTER/dp/B000LNJT9E/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1430441000&sr=1-8&keywords=hvac+air+filter, as it's the least restrictive I know of.

Remove the hardboard back & glass so that your left with the bare frame. Now place the hardboard back onto the air filter and cut it to the same size and then lay the air filter aside for now. This next part can be a little tricky to explain. Measure in from each edge of the hardboard back by about an 1/2 an inch and draw your lines with a pencil. And then with a box knife, (be careful please), cut along the lines you have drawn and remove the inner hardboard. What you should have left now, is what looks like (sort of) another picture frame. Now lay the air filter you had cut out, into the wooden picture frame (where the glass was) and then lay the hardboard frame (you also have just cut out) on top of that. Now it needs fastened together. I suggest a staple gun http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-T50-Heavy-Duty-Staple/dp/B00002ND61/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430441893&sr=8-1&keywords=arrow+staple+gun for this task, but you can use small tacks and a hammer as well.
Are you all beginning to see where this is going.https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

The finishing necessity is elevating the "Picture Frame Air filter" from the surface it rests upon, so that air freely enters from underneath. There's many solutions for this, so here is one. A strip of wood trim to fasten only to "2" opposite sides of the frame, and the wood strip wide enough to extend below the frame raising it up at least an inch from the surface it rests upon, so that air will enter from the other 2 sides and pass up through the filter and then into the laptop vents, in which you place on top of this whole contraption.https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.png

This should work quite well because of the large surface area of the filter opposed to the laptop air intake cooling vents.

thanks for your reply.

i would have liked a photo of the filter your explaining... hehe :-)

i took apart the computer, used a can of compressed air to clean the fans & heatsink.. but wasnt satisifed.. so i used my vaccuum.. but still wasnt satisifed.. so i took it outside and blew it away with the exhaust port of my shop vac... its like 2.5 horse power... still didnt get it 100% clean but im satisfied.

i put it back together, and taped some make shift filter to the intake ports.

i tried coffee filter, sponge, panty hose.. and fabric softener as filters.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:23 PM
You haven't stated what actually made you think about using air filters. I would assume you think that by using filters, less dust will go into your laptop, but that is not 100% true. While it MAY stop some dust from going in it, there will still be dust in it and there isn't really anything you can do.Dust doesn't enter only from the vents, even if it is the primary spot it does.
As long as you keep (at least) the place where you put your laptop clean, and by clean I mean just wipe off the dust once a week, you are good.
Don't get obsessed by the fact that your laptop can take too much dust because there isn't much to do here.
Cleaning your air vents once a week or so with compressed air is more than enough to keep it dust free in the spots that matter for it to work properly.

i realize dust gets sucked into the laptop from every direction.
after opening up the laptop, i saw a thin blanket of dust covering everything
but it was not that bad.

im not getting obsessed, but i did spend far more then i wanted to on this laptop.
i just want to make sure it lasts. so any other suggestions on how i can keep my baby ticking, lemme know.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't try to add a filter, no. As others have said, adding any kind of filter reduces the amount of airflow - which is the same effect that collecting dust would have. Generally speaking, unless you're in a VERY dirty environment, dust isn't harming the computer in any way other than blocking the exhaust vents, and in my experience, the design of the G750 series (drawing air from the bottom) is pretty effective in reducing the amount of dust. I've taken mine apart a few times after a year of heavy use, and there was hardly any dust to speak of inside mine, without having done any modifications.

I dont see why drawing air from the bottom is effective in reducting the amount of dust.. if anything, dust collects at the bottom.

Ive never had a problem with dust effecting my tower computers sitting on the floor with heaps of dust inside them that i never clean. however, laptops are harder to fix if something does go wrong, so i just want to protect my investment sorta speak.

cheers.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:55 PM
The G750's are ideal for using an intake filter; all the air comes up through the bottom vent. The G751 seems to pull air from other places as well, so filtering the intake fan may not be enough.

DEMCiflex filters for laptops
http://www.demcifilter.com/c218/Laptop-Dust-Filters.aspx

"Laptop computers are notoriously difficult to clean as all the parts are hidden inside and special skills are needed to open and clean them. Combine this with the fact that these computers can be used outside or in other dusty environments then the problem just becomes worse. That is why dust is probably the no 1 killer of laptops.

DEMCiflex Laptop Filters were designed to be used when you have no choice but to use your laptop in a less than clean environment. These filters are universal and fit most laptop computers available today."

They also make custom sizes:

http://www.demcifilter.com/cu8/Custom-Filters.aspx

http://www.demcifilter.com/

"DEMCiflex filters for laptops are disposable filters with a peel-and-stick foam frame, as opposed to the desktop DEMCifilters with a magnetic frame for computer and electronic devices. This ensures that the filter will stay put as you move the laptop computer when you use it."

Please come back and let us know if you try them, and how you like them :)

great website thanks. I was just about to order a laptop filter from them until i read that those arent reusable. i may order a custom filter from them instead - one that i can remove and wash, then stick back on again.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 03:59 PM

good idea, beatc. im trying one now. have you used one?

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 04:13 PM
GoAsusGo, that's what I try to let people know, after looking at 1000's of laptop internals, very few are the dust bunny farms people expect :)

Did you do some before/after cleaning temperature tests to see how much of a temperature improvement cleaning provided?

32gb of ram would be sweet but totally over kill for me.
i have 12 gb now, and ive never seen the computer use more then 4.

After i cleaned the computer i downloaded CPUid HWmonitor to see the temp and if the fans are running.

The fans seem to be running more now, since the cleaning. maybe cause the weather is getting hotter nowadays.

I hope its not cause of the filter i put on the intake vents.

according to CPUid HWMonitor -
temp - value 41c - min 39c - max 53c

(if you know an app that will tell me how fast the fans are running, pls lemme know)
(none of the apps i downloaded seem to work with my fans)

Dcite
05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
A thought just crossed by mind for keeping the bottom clean.. how about getting a laptop cooler which blows air towards the vents and adding filters to the coolers intakes? that way the fan should supply plenty of air while blowing relatively clean air at the intake for it to suck in. Doubt it would cool the laptop itself though.

GoAsusGo!
05-03-2015, 07:18 PM
yeah, im thinking about that.. if i can get one for 20$... id still put the filter on the laptop intake though. because there would be a gap between the laptop and the cooling pad.

hmscott
05-04-2015, 12:49 AM
great website thanks. I was just about to order a laptop filter from them until i read that those arent reusable. i may order a custom filter from them instead - one that i can remove and wash, then stick back on again.

GoAsusGo, they aren't reusable due to the sticky contact required to hold them in place. The magnetic ones are removable and reusable.

But, you won't need to reuse them if you don't pull them off. Cleaning should only require wiping with a damp cloth on the *outside* of the filter. The dust is being kept out, and should pile up on the outside, never making it to the inside.

You can get a pack of them when you order so you have replacements on hand in case one gets pulled off somehow.

And, you might ask if they have a G750/G571 custom already made, save you some time measuring to fit. :)

Please come back and let us know how they work out, if you order them.

hmscott
05-04-2015, 12:52 AM
32gb of ram would be sweet but totally over kill for me.
i have 12 gb now, and ive never seen the computer use more then 4.

After i cleaned the computer i downloaded CPUid HWmonitor to see the temp and if the fans are running.

The fans seem to be running more now, since the cleaning. maybe cause the weather is getting hotter nowadays.

I hope its not cause of the filter i put on the intake vents.

according to CPUid HWMonitor -
temp - value 41c - min 39c - max 53c

(if you know an app that will tell me how fast the fans are running, pls lemme know)
(none of the apps i downloaded seem to work with my fans)

GoAsusGo, AIDA64 will give you fan CPU speed, but nothing gives GPU fan speed.

Those temps aren't high, they seem low enough. If you are curious about how the the intake filter affects temps, do some benchmark runs with/without.

You didn't put filters on the back fan exhaust ports, right? Just the bottom of the case air intake?

GoAsusGo!
05-05-2015, 03:18 PM
GoAsusGo, AIDA64 will give you fan CPU speed, but nothing gives GPU fan speed.

Those temps aren't high, they seem low enough. If you are curious about how the the intake filter affects temps, do some benchmark runs with/without.

You didn't put filters on the back fan exhaust ports, right? Just the bottom of the case air intake?

No, i didnt put filters on the back fan exhausts ports. i only put filters on the bottom of the latop, over the intake slots.. around where the Hard Drive access panel is.

ALso, i just bought a cooling pad.

My cpu fan speed seems to be constantly 2200 RPM.

.. that cant be right? arent fans variable speeds? and i dont think they are running 24/7 - right now i dont feel any exhaust, and its a cool day so, shouldnt the RPM be ZERO?

GoAsusGo!
05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
now its 2300.

but i swear i dont feel a thing coming out the back.

and not a sound.

so the fans arent on.

when the fans are running, i do hear them.

so why doesnt the rpm hit zero?

hmscott
05-05-2015, 10:11 PM
now its 2300.

but i swear i dont feel a thing coming out the back.

and not a sound.

so the fans arent on.

when the fans are running, i do hear them.

so why doesnt the rpm hit zero?

GoAsusGo!, CPU fans all idle at 2300, quiet with hardly noticeable output, the CPU fan never shuts off, and the GPU fan also likely does the same - but since we don't have a way of reading the speed we can't know for sure :)

The Lfan (from the front) is the CPU fan and is the one that kicks up audibly most of the time.

The Right fan is the GPU fan. We get a lot of reports of no GPU fan running, which it is imperceptibly like the idling CPU fan - but it only kicks in audibly when the GPU comes under load.

Asus does their best to keep the fans quiet until cooling is really needed.

As long as idle CPU is around 45c and 40c for GPU, +- 5-10c, you are fine.

If the fans weren't at least idling around 2300, the CPU/GPU would contain/build up heat, and your temps at idle would be get very high quickly and cause the fans to kick in at high speed to cool it down, up and down constantly, and that would be annoying :)

GoAsusGo!
05-06-2015, 12:36 AM
GoAsusGo!, CPU fans all idle at 2300, quiet with hardly noticeable output, the CPU fan never shuts off, and the GPU fan also likely does the same - but since we don't have a way of reading the speed we can't know for sure :)

The Lfan (from the front) is the CPU fan and is the one that kicks up audibly most of the time.

The Right fan is the GPU fan. We get a lot of reports of no GPU fan running, which it is imperceptibly like the idling CPU fan - but it only kicks in audibly when the GPU comes under load.

Asus does their best to keep the fans quiet until cooling is really needed.

As long as idle CPU is around 45c and 40c for GPU, +- 5-10c, you are fine.

If the fans weren't at least idling around 2300, the CPU/GPU would contain/build up heat, and your temps at idle would be get very high quickly and cause the fans to kick in at high speed to cool it down, up and down constantly, and that would be annoying :)

i did not know this.. good info.. thanks.

i googled "cpu fan 2300 rpm" and found your other thread.. lol
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47034-Is-it-normal-(-fan-related-problem-G56JR-)