PDA

View Full Version : Install Windows 7 on G20AJ-US009 - 0xA5 - BIOS not ACPI compliant

fardadja
05-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Hi all,

A few days ago I purchased a G20AJ-US009 which comes with Windows 8 pre-installed. I want to install Windows 7 on it - clean install.

The problem is when I try to install Win7, the "loading files" screen goes through. However, a moment after the "Starting setup" screen appears, the BSOD is shown with the error 0xA5 (the bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant).

I have Googled this for more than 2 days and there seem to be many other people with a similar problem. In most cases it seems to be a BIOS setting issue. I did update the BIOS with the latest version on ASUS website to no avail. For the life of me, I have also tried all settings I could think of in the BIOS (RAID to AHCI, CSM enabled, Secure Boot disabled) still the same. I even tried installing from within Windows 8 (which loads just fine); it copies and expands the files, but after restarting, the same.

One thing to mention is that the machine comes with 8GB of RAM but I've upgraded it to 16GB.

Guys, I'm completely out of ideas and desperately need some advice. Please help. Thank you.

F

logan1205
05-13-2015, 09:03 AM
hi guy,

i have exacly the same problem, have you find any solution ?

Thanks

Clintlgm
05-13-2015, 01:27 PM
I would suggest that you insure your Win 7 is set up to install UEFI. Insure your Win7 ISO has SP1. This 7forum (http://www.sevenforums.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7156303416008077%3Ahfslqp-2rmq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=INstall+UEFI)has the information on installing 7 UEFI. I would insure that you have windows 7 hardware drivers? Most Win 8 drivers will work but not all. Bluetooth and WiFi expecialy need win 7 drives and others things too. Correct secure boot disabled, CSM enabled. You'll need to modify the boot sector of the Win 7 SP ISO to boot UEFI. That information is in the tutorials I linked you too.

logan1205
05-13-2015, 07:21 PM
hi,

i have try your solution, ive instal windows 7 in uefi but nothing else... my computer do the 0x000000A5 error at windows startup

Clintlgm
05-13-2015, 09:28 PM
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314830 here is the Microsoft solution

Mattk3
06-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Hi,

Same issue for me, someone have found the solution? I've tried win7 32bits non UEFI and win7 64bits UEFI, same blue screen

Yos 6
06-08-2015, 07:34 AM
I have the same error, I contacted the ASUS support.

will17721
11-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Anybody figure this problem out yet? I am a music composer and I have software that can't run on Windows 10 yet and I need to get back to working on my music. I would really appreciate it if somebody could help. I love this desktop, but it hurts not being able to keep up with my work. Thanks in advance.

Clintlgm
11-17-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm not going to read this thread, have you tried installing your program in Compatible mode?

misterggg
01-31-2016, 06:38 PM
I have tried everything and nothing works. I am getting the same blue screen as everybody else. If I had known ahead of time I was going to have this problem I would have never bought this computer. If Asus does not correct this problem with a Windows 7 bios for this computer then I would recommend that nobody buy this computer.:mad:

Sh3pathome
07-27-2016, 03:29 AM
It seems like it's impossible to get Windows 7 on the G20AJ unless you alter the BIOS. I've tried almost everything and I can't get it to run past the Windows 7 startup...

Even if you do manage to somehow get Windows 7 working on the G20AJ, there are no drivers anyway so yeah... Don't try installing Windows 7 on it, not possible. Windows 10 runs fine though!

https://www.asus.com/nz/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG_G20AJ/HelpDesk_Download/

chilinmichael
07-29-2016, 11:02 AM
What people fail to realize is that Windows 7 is quickly becoming the new XP. You may be used to it, you may not want to change, but it's heavily dated, doesn't handle hardware well and is quickly becoming less compatible with the PC world due to the onslaught of new hardware. Unless you have something incredibly important that cannot run in 10 (which even then you can spin up a VM for it), you should run 10. Windows 7's UEFI support was never good, at all. The only suggestion is to make sure Secure Boot is off in the bios (if there is that option, I'm not home to look) and that legacy/compatibility mode is on with UEFI.

xxredxsparowexx
08-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Don't know if you're still trying to get Windows 7 to install on your G20 or not?

I have the G20CB Oculus Ready ( If it matters?)

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 (64bit) From what I've found online, Win7 UEFI only supports 64bit.
CPU: Intel i7 3.4ghz (Motherboard Socket 1511; H170; Custom to the G20 Desktop Series) If anybody knows an exact match or comparable ASUS MB, LMK?
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (Self-Installed; Upgraded the stock GTX 970)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
HDD: SanDisk 240GB SSD / Toshiba 2TB (Stock; works as extra storage for my Win7; Win10 installed on Partition)
BIOS: Stock ver1301 AMI UEFI (Asus does list BIOS updates under the Win7 64bit download category, Current is 1601)

I'm currently interested in trying to update my BIOS (ver1301), to the current ver1601. Honestly just having cold feet because I don't want it to screw up my Win7 install lol!

I used the EZ Updater Program to make my Win7 ISO compatible with USB 3.0/3.1; Even though there are USB 2.0 ports available and I have my Mouse/Keyboard connected to both all the time, I wasn't able to get them to work during my first attempts until I found out about the USB 3.0/3.1 dilemma.

I just followed guides online, as well as this forum for advice. I honestly tried MANY different methods and I wish I had thought about posting my process while I was going through the installation of Win7.

I had EZ Updater burn the Modified Win7 w/USB 3.0/3.1 ISO to a DVD and also made a USB ISO just in case. (I read somewhere about connecting a USB Disk Drive for the DVD install but I never tried it. I just used the stock DVD drive)

Changed my BIOS settings according to the tutorials, changing it from Windows UEFI to Other OS, CSM mode, etc. (I never could disable secure boot no matter how many times I tried to as I found out that Win7 doesn't support secure boot. It still shows Enabled with PK Keys Unloaded under my settings though?)

Honestly haven't switched or tried loading my Win10 install on my second HDD because I regret upgrading and don't care for it. I don't play any games that run under DirectX12. I also hate the VRAM cap that's in place for running DX9 games in Windows 8, 8.1, 10. (If it matters it's Windows 10 Pro 64bit Anniversary Update)

I had to download the drivers for most of the on board hardware. ASUS doesn't list anything under Win7 32/64bit other than BIOS updates and ASUS Manager/Commander updates. (I just downloaded all the drivers they had available for the G20CB under Windows 10 64bit)

During the install, when setup asks what drive you're installing windows to, I clicked on "Load Drivers" and searched the ones I have downloaded prior. They were still on my external drive I use for keeping backup installation files, updates, crap like that. You can also search your second hard drive if you have one for any drivers you may have downloaded. I read somewhere (I forget a lot of stuff if anybody's noticed, I smoke too much, my bad) that you can just make a folder for all the drivers you'd need and put it on the USB ISO. I don't know, nor have I tried adding any folders to a premade ISO file. So if anybody knows how to then I'm sure it's possible to put the drivers on there too.

Or, just put them on a flash drive and plug it in once you're on the Win7 desktop and install them that way?

When I first booted mine up successfully I noticed that only the Bluetooth drivers were installed. Don't know why none of the drivers for LAN/WIFI were installed to be honest. I just installed my LAN driver according to what I had installed already. Still need to install the WIFI drivers, but since my PC is wired to my router I haven't bothered.

All USB ports work. 2 USB 3.0 in front, 2 USB 2.0 rear, 2 USB 3.0 rear, 2 USB 3.1 rear.

All Audio ports work. I don't have 7.1 or 5.1 surround PC speakers setup, just some crappy Insignia speakers with subwoofer I got from best buy. All audio channels omit sound though when I run a test though, all coming through my 2 stereo speakers thought, poor mans 7.1 lol?

GPU runs just fine. Installed all the Nvidia drivers without any problems.

It wasn't until I used the EZ Updater that I had any success. I know others said it didn't work but it worked for me. I think I downloaded it from a google search or the Sabertooth Motherboard? Maximus? There isn't one listed under any of the categories for Windows Versions for the G20CB/AJ/BM.

I couldn't get windows update to work at first but did a google search for "windows update checking for updates" fixes. It just stayed in the "checking for updates" and never got past that. It also was hogging my CPU usage and working my fans like crazy. It's a common problem with doing a clean install of Win7 from what I read. Think the link I used directed me to askvg.com or something similar. How to Geek had a tutorial also.

The only thing I'm stuck on is how to go about updating the BIOS. Like I said mines still at 1301 and the most current is 1601. Oddly enough like I mentioned earlier, ASUS does list BIOS updates under Windows 7 downloads for the G20CB. Just find it stupid they continue to push out BIOS updates but make the customer go about finding all other windows 7 drivers on their own.

Hope any of this information helps. I know it's a lot to look over but seeing how it's a question a lot of people seem to be asking I figured I'd post this.

Can I claim "World's First Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit running on UEFI BIOS" lol?

ShadowArmadyl
09-16-2016, 12:38 AM
Don't know if you're still trying to get Windows 7 to install on your G20 or not?

I have the G20CB Oculus Ready ( If it matters?)

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1 (64bit) From what I've found online, Win7 UEFI only supports 64bit.
CPU: Intel i7 3.4ghz (Motherboard Socket 1511; H170; Custom to the G20 Desktop Series) If anybody knows an exact match or comparable ASUS MB, LMK?
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (Self-Installed; Upgraded the stock GTX 970)
RAM: 16GB DDR4
HDD: SanDisk 240GB SSD / Toshiba 2TB (Stock; works as extra storage for my Win7; Win10 installed on Partition)
BIOS: Stock ver1301 AMI UEFI (Asus does list BIOS updates under the Win7 64bit download category, Current is 1601)

I'm currently interested in trying to update my BIOS (ver1301), to the current ver1601. Honestly just having cold feet because I don't want it to screw up my Win7 install lol!

I used the EZ Updater Program to make my Win7 ISO compatible with USB 3.0/3.1; Even though there are USB 2.0 ports available and I have my Mouse/Keyboard connected to both all the time, I wasn't able to get them to work during my first attempts until I found out about the USB 3.0/3.1 dilemma.

I just followed guides online, as well as this forum for advice. I honestly tried MANY different methods and I wish I had thought about posting my process while I was going through the installation of Win7.

I had EZ Updater burn the Modified Win7 w/USB 3.0/3.1 ISO to a DVD and also made a USB ISO just in case. (I read somewhere about connecting a USB Disk Drive for the DVD install but I never tried it. I just used the stock DVD drive)

Changed my BIOS settings according to the tutorials, changing it from Windows UEFI to Other OS, CSM mode, etc. (I never could disable secure boot no matter how many times I tried to as I found out that Win7 doesn't support secure boot. It still shows Enabled with PK Keys Unloaded under my settings though?)

Honestly haven't switched or tried loading my Win10 install on my second HDD because I regret upgrading and don't care for it. I don't play any games that run under DirectX12. I also hate the VRAM cap that's in place for running DX9 games in Windows 8, 8.1, 10. (If it matters it's Windows 10 Pro 64bit Anniversary Update)

I had to download the drivers for most of the on board hardware. ASUS doesn't list anything under Win7 32/64bit other than BIOS updates and ASUS Manager/Commander updates. (I just downloaded all the drivers they had available for the G20CB under Windows 10 64bit)

During the install, when setup asks what drive you're installing windows to, I clicked on "Load Drivers" and searched the ones I have downloaded prior. They were still on my external drive I use for keeping backup installation files, updates, crap like that. You can also search your second hard drive if you have one for any drivers you may have downloaded. I read somewhere (I forget a lot of stuff if anybody's noticed, I smoke too much, my bad) that you can just make a folder for all the drivers you'd need and put it on the USB ISO. I don't know, nor have I tried adding any folders to a premade ISO file. So if anybody knows how to then I'm sure it's possible to put the drivers on there too.

Or, just put them on a flash drive and plug it in once you're on the Win7 desktop and install them that way?

When I first booted mine up successfully I noticed that only the Bluetooth drivers were installed. Don't know why none of the drivers for LAN/WIFI were installed to be honest. I just installed my LAN driver according to what I had installed already. Still need to install the WIFI drivers, but since my PC is wired to my router I haven't bothered.

All USB ports work. 2 USB 3.0 in front, 2 USB 2.0 rear, 2 USB 3.0 rear, 2 USB 3.1 rear.

All Audio ports work. I don't have 7.1 or 5.1 surround PC speakers setup, just some crappy Insignia speakers with subwoofer I got from best buy. All audio channels omit sound though when I run a test though, all coming through my 2 stereo speakers thought, poor mans 7.1 lol?

GPU runs just fine. Installed all the Nvidia drivers without any problems.

It wasn't until I used the EZ Updater that I had any success. I know others said it didn't work but it worked for me. I think I downloaded it from a google search or the Sabertooth Motherboard? Maximus? There isn't one listed under any of the categories for Windows Versions for the G20CB/AJ/BM.

I couldn't get windows update to work at first but did a google search for "windows update checking for updates" fixes. It just stayed in the "checking for updates" and never got past that. It also was hogging my CPU usage and working my fans like crazy. It's a common problem with doing a clean install of Win7 from what I read. Think the link I used directed me to askvg.com or something similar. How to Geek had a tutorial also.

The only thing I'm stuck on is how to go about updating the BIOS. Like I said mines still at 1301 and the most current is 1601. Oddly enough like I mentioned earlier, ASUS does list BIOS updates under Windows 7 downloads for the G20CB. Just find it stupid they continue to push out BIOS updates but make the customer go about finding all other windows 7 drivers on their own.

Hope any of this information helps. I know it's a lot to look over but seeing how it's a question a lot of people seem to be asking I figured I'd post this.

Can I claim "World's First Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit running on UEFI BIOS" lol?

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my G20AJ and I'm having the identical problem as everyone else.

The blue screen and all. It's not a problem with UEFI because the Windows 7 CD I'm using has Service Pack 1 integrated, meaning it supports UEFI.

I don't know what to do and I would make any modification to get Windows 7 on this computer, even if it comes to tweaking the BIOS.

Has anyone solved this problem yet? Is there a BIOS patch or something?