PDA

View Full Version : G750JW GTX 765 Graphics question

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 01:24 AM
I'm looking at a friends g750JW with the 765M and I can't get it to run a complete benchmark with furmark.
The GPU gets to 85C and then the screen goes black and I have to power it off and back on again to get video.

As for the CPU I can run Prime95 set for max heat and the temp gets up to about 94C after 20 minutes. I will
assume the GPU is odd but I have seen other screen shots around this forum of people running both and
being much cooler. I blew out the fans so there isn't any dust in them is it time for a repaste ? Or any other
suggestions would be helpful.

hmscott
05-04-2015, 05:22 AM
I'm looking at a friends g750JW with the 765M and I can't get it to run a complete benchmark with furmark.
The GPU gets to 85C and then the screen goes black and I have to power it off and back on again to get video.

As for the CPU I can run Prime95 set for max heat and the temp gets up to about 94C after 20 minutes. I will
assume the GPU is odd but I have seen other screen shots around this forum of people running both and
being much cooler. I blew out the fans so there isn't any dust in them is it time for a repaste ? Or any other
suggestions would be helpful.

wat444444444444444444444, how are you going to remember how many 4's to type in?? :)

The CPU sounds fine, don't run Prime95 that long anyway, 5 minutes is enough to get a temperature reading.

Strange behavior with the GPU, are you sure there isn't some screen blanking going on - screensaver or power option to dim/turn off screen? Response might not be there while running furmark, be patient and only run the short test, not the burn-in test to start.

A GPU crash is usually the display driver crashing, and if you give it time it will watchdog restart the driver and give you back the desktop. Try to avoid power button turn off while Windows is running. Always do a right click on the C drive icon, properties and check the disk - schedule a test at reboot if it requests it.

Hook up an external monitor too... see if you get different GPU test behavior.

code9523
05-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Try to change thermal paste and clean all the dust inside your laptop! The best paste for it I seen is mx4. Don't burn stress tests until you change thermal paste!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Code, there is no dust as I blew it out already.

HMscott, as for the graphics card no its not a display crash the screen never comes back. At 85 it goes blank, then a brief white flash then sounds like its shutting down then the GPU fan spins at 100% I waited pretty long once to see if it would come back but it doesn't it just sits at the black screen with the fan running at 100% after a few minutes.

Edit: I was running the tests on burn in at first. Now I completed a bench with it but still in burn in mode its get to 85 and does the black screen.

Edit 2: Another stronge thing i noticed was in the bios the version read 210, but the latest one I found on the asus site for this model is only 208.

code9523
05-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Asus thermal compound is not the best compound after a year or less it's becomes hard like a wall also feels same and it's pretty hard to clean it before putting new one! Your temperature sensor could lie or you are using a wrong program so temp may be much higher than 85 celsius! Blowing dust inside laptop will only spread it everywhere in it but then air flows will put it back on the radiators as it the bottlenecking point of air flow. Good advice is to clean your laptop at least once a year! Put good thermal phast leave enough space for the bottom air intake let it breath))

About your bios it can be a mod flashed or something like this which program have you used for locating it's version? The simplest way it's to get to your bios firs page and read it's version!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 10:32 AM
The bios version I found was actually entering the bios, pressing f2 at startup. This isn't my laptop so I have no idea the history of it. But there is no dust in the fans i know this for sure.

code9523
05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
So may be the previous user done something with bios flashed mod rom or something flash the bios to 208 and than if it will not help try to repast it.

flash 208 rom using winflash /nodate command.

Than post here what you got!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Made a quick video for you two to see. I ran one 720p bench before this that completed okay, I just wanted to get it hot so it would do this. Chances are about 70% that it completes without black screening on the first run but it usually happens on the second if done back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmhX4oPwW0

code9523
05-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Made a quick video for you two to see. I ran one 720p bench before this that completed okay, I just wanted to get it hot so it would do this. Chances are about 70% that it completes without black screening on the first run but it usually happens on the second if done back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmhX4oPwW0

flash 208 rom using winflash /nodate command.

Than post here what you got!

code9523
05-04-2015, 12:02 PM
According to asus support site 210 bios is the bios from asus g750jz!!! here is the link for it: http://www.asus.com/ua/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/HelpDesk_Download/

As the g750jz is with GTX880m you may have serious problems with yours GTX765m!!!
The previous owner could replace motherboard from his g750jw and got replacement from g750jz and also flash MOD rom to get everything work together))) But he could modify the g750jz rom which wasn't made for gtx765 gpu!
Flash the 208jw rom and than post here!!!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Flashed it, first 720p run got to 81C

code9523
05-04-2015, 01:02 PM
So now it's time to repast it))) My g750jw with overclocking wasn't hotter than 75c after 2 hours of playing))) I used mx4!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 01:33 PM
so just ran about three more 720p benchs and the max temp is dropping 78 on the second one and 75 3rd and 75 4th. All of these were repasted with AS5 from the beginning i just thought I could have messed it up but it was indeed a bios issue.

code9523
05-04-2015, 01:42 PM
What your model wersion in bios? JW or JZ?!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 01:45 PM
i assume its on the first page but all the places listed its blank.

code9523
05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
So some one before you mess up with it!

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 03:02 PM
probably, i would have no reason to believe that they switched mobos. The person that owns the laptop isn't that savvy and I didn't notice anything unusual while taking it apart

code9523
05-04-2015, 03:25 PM
The mobos looks same so you will not find any difference. I don't think someone just flashed wrong bios from another laptop. Because of what???? I had similar situation but I put a g750jx board to g750jh laptop so I flashed it because of gpu which was not recognized by system. Or may be he flashed mod bios from some forums like techinferno where people are making mods. But it's kind a strange that you don't have a model shown in bios! This means that something is not as it should be! Have you compared serial numbers from bottom case and on first page of bios?

hmscott
05-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Code, there is no dust as I blew it out already.

HMscott, as for the graphics card no its not a display crash the screen never comes back. At 85 it goes blank, then a brief white flash then sounds like its shutting down then the GPU fan spins at 100% I waited pretty long once to see if it would come back but it doesn't it just sits at the black screen with the fan running at 100% after a few minutes.

Edit: I was running the tests on burn in at first. Now I completed a bench with it but still in burn in mode its get to 85 and does the black screen.

Edit 2: Another strange thing i noticed was in the bios the version read 210, but the latest one I found on the asus site for this model is only 208.

wat444444444444444444444, the 210 BIOS has been reported before, don't sweat it, Asus never uploaded it.

You are describing a GPU failure / Display driver crash - but in your case it isn't able to restart the Display driver. Since it is doing it at stock speeds, it is a hardware problem you need to RMA to fix.

Even if you are outside warranty Asus is pretty good about fixing those bad GPU problems, so start a Technical Inquiry to report the hardware GPU problem, and ask for an RMA to fix it.

I had a similar thing happen long ago with my G2S, and Asus fixed the GPU and no problems since. No such problems with 8 other Asus laptops, so don't fret about it in the future.

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry

If you got your JW repasted with AS-5, who did it? Was it the original shop that sold it to you, or the previous owner. That may cause a glitch in support - make sure if Asus asks during RMA that you tell them the truth - it must have been done by previous owner because you didn't do it. Be nice to Asus and they will support you.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

wat444444444444444444444
05-04-2015, 08:12 PM
no I repasted it myself and changed out the thermal pads on the video card. The original problem was the infamous black screen on boot / GPU failure. I was able to reflow the card and save it and repaste it to prevent further overheating.

I am just looking at this for a friend, I do not own the laptop or anything I just am the middleman trying to fix it as best as possible.

Do you really think Asus would RMA this situation, I wouldn't think so even before the repair.

Edit: hmscott I posted a video in a previous post that shows what its doing.

hmscott
05-05-2015, 12:14 AM
no I repasted it myself and changed out the thermal pads on the video card. The original problem was the infamous black screen on boot / GPU failure. I was able to reflow the card and save it and repaste it to prevent further overheating.

I am just looking at this for a friend, I do not own the laptop or anything I just am the middleman trying to fix it as best as possible.

Do you really think Asus would RMA this situation, I wouldn't think so even before the repair.

Edit: hmscott I posted a video in a previous post that shows what its doing.

wat444444444444444444444, yes, just explain the situation and offer to pay for any repair - Asus often will do it for free, as long as you are upfront about what happened. This is good too, your friend can blame it on you and he can ask for mercy from Asus to repair it :)

Checking the video...it says Private - please open up permissions so we can view it :)

Snorzo
05-05-2015, 01:44 AM
So I'm the actual owner of the laptop, Wat is a friend of mine who is much more savvy than me.

About a year ago my laptop mysteriously shut down and wouldn't start up again. Thankfully I was within warranty and sent it into Asus for them to fix it (I'm the original owner, I purchased this from Best Buy in October 2013)

Anyways they fixed it and told me they replaced the motherboard and something else about USB wires. Wat explained to me that he thinks when they did it they possibly put the wrong motherboard model in and it could have put too much strain on the graphics card which caused the overheat. It would also explain the funky Bios version.

The only question I really have is what Wat brought up earlier, when he entered the BIOS there was no make or serial number for the hardware. What would be the best way to approach Asus with this? Or is it even worth it if my laptop is functional again?

wat444444444444444444444
05-05-2015, 03:14 AM
changed the video to public for all to see.

code9523
05-05-2015, 05:20 AM
So I'm the actual owner of the laptop, Wat is a friend of mine who is much more savvy than me.

About a year ago my laptop mysteriously shut down and wouldn't start up again. Thankfully I was within warranty and sent it into Asus for them to fix it (I'm the original owner, I purchased this from Best Buy in October 2013)

Anyways they fixed it and told me they replaced the motherboard and something else about USB wires. Wat explained to me that he thinks when they did it they possibly put the wrong motherboard model in and it could have put too much strain on the graphics card which caused the overheat. It would also explain the funky Bios version.

The only question I really have is what Wat brought up earlier, when he entered the BIOS there was no make or serial number for the hardware. What would be the best way to approach Asus with this? Or is it even worth it if my laptop is functional again?

As I said before some one messed up with bios or put wrong mb to wrong laptop! If it's g750jz motherboard you may have some problems!
What version of bios do you have now?
What power brick are you using?

P.S. It looks like the workers of service put a g750jz mb but they cold not flash bios from jw to get your gtx765 recognized in system so they moded 210 rom by changing PID and VID for gtx765 ID and flashed it but they forgot to change other parameters like thermal throttling and power usage! The only way now is to flash original g750jw rom in to it using afudos!

wat444444444444444444444
05-05-2015, 05:41 AM
its flashed with 208 now. and the video thermal issues have gotten better. At least as far as I can tell, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as is it used to. Also the fans seem to kick in when the video card is a bit cooler. It seemed as though when the card got really hot they wouldn't kick on at all, but now it appears they kick on much sooner.

code9523
05-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Also I would recommend you to repast it with ac mx4 as in my experience it never got hotter than 75c when playing even with OC. I tried a lot of thermal compounds in laptops but stopped on mx4 because it's rely good and it will not dry at least for 1 year (checked myself) Also I tried coollab metal pads but in Lenovo laptop but in asus cooling is rely good so there is no need for them!

hmscott
05-05-2015, 05:55 AM

its flashed with 208 now. and the video thermal issues have gotten better. At least as far as I can tell, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as is it used to. Also the fans seem to kick in when the video card is a bit cooler. It seemed as though when the card got really hot they wouldn't kick on at all, but now it appears they kick on much sooner.

Snorzo/wat4*, the motherboards between the JW/JX/JH are similar, different parts across them for some things, but if you don't have Optimus (Intel GPU active) you don't have a JM/JS/JZ/JY motherboard :)

The 210 BIOS has been reported before, here is someone asking about it last year:

BIOS update for G750JW
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48124-BIOS-update-for-G750JW&p=407704&viewfull=1#post407704

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JW - lists BIOS version as 210
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/666637

I doubt the temperature change is related to BIOS version. You could've tried Setting Defaults in the BIOS and that might have done the same thing.

But, now you can't download 210 and update it to try... unless you saved the original BIOS before updating?

It likely doesn't matter, 208 is what most people have.

Glad to hear whatever you did, it brought the temperature down :)

wat444444444444444444444
05-05-2015, 06:04 AM
I'm pretty sure it was BIOS related, the paste job I did was before everything so the only thing that changed was the bios. I also gave the paste about a day to set up before stress testing. I didn't get a chance to back up the BIOS before flashing, also I was pretty convinced that it was the wrong BIOS for the board so that also made me not back it up. Also coming to think about it when I was taking it apart I pulled the bios battery so that reset all settings when it was on 210 so it couldn't be that. It was definitely the move to 208 that helped the thermals.

As far as settings go the bios was pretty baron as far as thermal settings or fan control or anything like that, thats always the first thing I check for.

Sorry to rain on the parade but AS5 is the best in my opinion been using it for years on laptops and desktops never once dried out. Had one install that lasted for 4 years and still looked wet when I removed it. When I dropped it off to Snorzo today I ran another bench and it barely broke 70C on the 720p bench.

code9523
05-05-2015, 06:37 AM
I'm glad if I helped you! It's only proves my theory that almost all g750 series boards are compatible for gpu upgrade and modding.

hmscott
05-05-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm pretty sure it was BIOS related, the paste job I did was before everything so the only thing that changed was the bios. I also gave the paste about a day to set up before stress testing. I didn't get a chance to back up the BIOS before flashing, also I was pretty convinced that it was the wrong BIOS for the board so that also made me not back it up. Also coming to think about it when I was taking it apart I pulled the bios battery so that reset all settings when it was on 210 so it couldn't be that. It was definitely the move to 208 that helped the thermals.
As far as settings go the bios was pretty baron as far as thermal settings or fan control or anything like that, thats always the first thing I check for.
Sorry to rain on the parade but AS5 is the best in my opinion been using it for years on laptops and desktops never once dried out. Had one install that lasted for 4 years and still looked wet when I removed it. When I dropped it off to Snorzo today I ran another bench and it barely broke 70C on the 720p bench.

wat444444444444444444444, it could be the fan curves in the 210 BIOS are different, as you noticed the fans kick in sooner after flashing 208.

AS5 works great, still using it myself, but will likely try one of the first 3 new top TIM's in this list next time:

The Best Thermal Paste For CPU Cooling | 2015
http://www.coolpc.pw/?p=1

So, did the black screen during furmark burn-in test stop happening?

wat444444444444444444444
05-05-2015, 08:18 PM
yes, after the flash it completes the 720 bench fine. I didn't try the 1080 but i think the heat problem has been solved.

hmscott
05-05-2015, 10:07 PM
yes, after the flash it completes the 720 bench fine. I didn't try the 1080 but i think the heat problem has been solved.

wat444444444444444444444, I thought the 720p passed before, only the 1080p failed...the GPU should run fine at 85c, mine does, and so do the others that have reported temps under load.

The GPU might still be flaky, you won't know until you test it again.

wat444444444444444444444
05-05-2015, 10:20 PM
it did pass 720 before but only sometimes. Now it will pass everytime and not get close the thermals that it was previously getting to.

I never tried the 1080 because before it would barely pass the 720 now im pretty sure the 1080 would complete but I dont have the laptop any longer.