PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G74SX video drivers issue

dimitarsl
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi all,
I have recently purchased the G74 with the following configuration:
ASUS G74SX-RH71 with 3.40GHz i7-2820QM, 16GB RAM, 2 hard drives - 1.25TB and NVidia GTX 560M 3GB
I have installed windows 7 professional and setup the laptop with the drivers from the CD.
The machine was working fine for almost 2 weeks. I was playing Shogun 2 and StarCraft 2 on it. Recently it started throwing me out of the game and crashing to desktop and even the windows. I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them with no luck.
I Installed fresh windows 7 after format. With the drivers from the ASUS CD again but no luck.
I have tried the following drivers from the Nvidia website:
Verde R285 Driver - version 285.62 WHQL
And the following drivers from the ASUS website:
Version V8.17.12.6837
Version V8.17.12.6756

If I remove the Nvidia drivers I can go in windows in normal mode using the Microsoft drivers.
As soon as I install Nvidia drivers the computer boots up. Goes to windows login screen. Everything seems fine until I try to login and go into windows. The screen goes into blurry colors and the machine crashes and I have to turn it off manually.
Apart from all this trouble the laptop has been great and i love it.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

dimitarsl
11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Just to add that initially i was running version 202. I flashed it to 203 but still no luck.

JRd1st
11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
That's certainly bizarre. One thing I can say that you did wrong was to install the drivers from the driver CD. ALL of those drivers are old. I suggest using drivers from my New Drivers sticky or Chastity's driver reference thread.

Next time it crashes with Nvidia installed, go into safe mode and see if your nvidiasettings can be set to native resolution and refresh rate can be set. I'm pretty sure it' the refresh rate that's doing you in.

You can try uninstalling nvidia, then installing it and selecting "clean installation"

dimitarsl
11-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks JRd1st. I will try this tonight and also BIOS restore defaults.
Which driver do you think is the most stable from the new ones?

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Definitely.....junk the Drivers CD. If you used that, it's probably more than just your video driver that's old.

If you're up for doing another clean install, I would recommend it. Download only the latest essential drivers (links in the first post of the New Drivers thread). Save those to your second HDD. Re-install Windows, and then install only these drivers. Avoid any of the Asus utilities for now, and just install the programs you want to use: your security software, your browser, mail program, etc. Then your games.

Try running with that clean installation for a few days or so. Only when you have a stable base installation should you consider adding optional stuff like any of the Asus bloatware.

(I use the the 285.62 Nvidia driver. I don't install cutting edge games and all that, so I never opt for any "beta" drivers.....I prefer to stay with the WHQL versions.)

fixitchris
11-22-2011, 01:19 AM
What did you install over the past 2 weeks?

dimitarsl
11-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Hi,
What i had on the machine initially was 2 games, movies, browsers, not much really. I just got the laptop 2 weeks ago.
I have tried reinstalling the following drivers:
285.38 - did not work

285.79 - did not work

285.62 - did not work

280.26 - did not work

After each driver failed on normal boot i had to uninstall it and then clean up with driver sweeper in safe mode.This is on fresh installation of windows 7 x64 with all important updates installed up to sp1.
Initially i was trying the same without the updates.

In normal mode i cant get past the login screen with the drivers loaded.
Without nvidia driver if i switch to the windows ones i can login without problem.
I managed to get in normal mode through msconfig - diagnostic startup and boot options set
to base video. The screen still acted strange initially but i got in.
I opened up the nvidia control panel. Went through the settings and disabled or set to default
anything i could. I could not get into the first 2 tabs. It always crashes when i try.
Also i get the error that "error code 4 Nvidia openGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue"
Another instance of the same error is: "error code 8 Nvidia openGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is uable to continue"

I had many computers in my life but have not had so much video problems before. Is it normal to be such a struggle with this machine?
IT seems that the GTX 560M has a lot of problems i read that a lot of people are having issues with this card.

My next plan is another clean installation with only video drivers, chipset and LAN. I will appreciate any advice. Thank you.

fixitchris
11-22-2011, 02:56 AM
How are you testing the instability after a fresh install? Are you formatting, installing win7, installing Shogun & SC2 and crashes again? If so, then try a different game... maybe ?

dimitarsl
11-22-2011, 10:02 AM
After a fresh install when i install the core drivers as soon as i install a VGA driver no matter what version it is its not working. I just reboot after the driver installation and go up to the login screen without problems. As soon as i try to login it crashes to a screen with different colors or a blank screen sometimes.

BrodyBoy
11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
After a fresh install when i install the core drivers as soon as i install a VGA driver no matter what version it is its not working. I just reboot after the driver installation and go up to the login screen without problems. As soon as i try to login it crashes to a screen with different colors or a blank screen sometimes.
Can you list the core drivers you installed? And which Nvidia driver after the install?

dimitarsl
11-22-2011, 04:16 PM
After the fresh win 7 reinstall i started with intel chipset driver installation and from there directly VGA driver the latest one from nvidia website 285.62 - WHQL.
It could not boot after login so uninstalled and installed the driver from the cd.
That did not work again.
Then unisntalled again and installed the 280.62 driver. Nothing change still the same story.

This is happening today on my 3rd format and fresh installation of windows 7 x64.
There were no wireless, bluetooth, usb, LAN and etc. drivers.

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Reinstall the core drivers with the -overall switch from a cmd box.

You ARE installing laptop video drivers, right?

Did you mess with your refresh rate or resolution? Try Safe and look around for anything unusual.