PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Flashing HDD to SSD Help

byrnsie1122
05-07-2015, 03:46 AM
I got a old G75VW and finally came around to buying a SSD for OS boot.

Followed this guide http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows and got to the point where I'm switching Bios Setup to start with SSD but the SSD isn't showing up in the Bios Setup.

What do I do?

code9523
05-07-2015, 04:50 AM
It may be defective or bad connected. Try to reinstall it or swap it with your hdd.

byrnsie1122
05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
It may be defective or bad connected. Try to reinstall it or swap it with your hdd.

I'm able to see it under My Computer and Device Manager. Wouldn't a bad connection not make it show up in either of those?

Gonna try re-installing and then swapping the drives and see if that helps.

installer
05-07-2015, 01:02 PM
You have initialised it and given it and allocated a drive letter?

byrnsie1122
05-07-2015, 06:51 PM
You have initialised it and given it and allocated a drive letter?

Yep did all of that.

Reinstalled the SSD but that didn't work. After work I'm going to swap HDD with the SSD and see if that helps.

byrnsie1122
05-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Swapped the location of SSD and HHD, nothing different. Still doesn't show the SSD in the Bios Setup.

code9523
05-08-2015, 04:35 AM
Swapped the location of SSD and HHD, nothing different. Still doesn't show the SSD in the Bios Setup.
If it's visible under windows try to clone your os drive on it and than remove your hdd and try to run from ssd. Also try to restore defaults in bios. If it will not help try to flash never version of bios. Also you can try to connect your ssd to another pc or laptop and see what happens. In my case when I was upgrading to ssd it worked fine without any problems.

Clintlgm
05-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Most likely your system is set up UEFI that's the way it came from the factory! To clone your hard drive to your new SSD I would suggest you download Macrium Reflect. And just clone your hard drive to your SSD.
You'll need to use Disk part to Clean your SSD back to unused space or convert it to GPT then do the clone.
Here is a thread Rewben put together back when we were all figuring out UEFI.
Yes using a SSD you do want your sytem running UEFI not BIOS MBR here is the link (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=)
Using you Cloning software you'll make a Bootalbe USB media when you press the start button also hit the esc key that will bring up a boot menu from there select your UEFI bootable USB and run the clone from there. or Clean install