PDA

View Full Version : G53SX-XN1 HDD Connector questions!

5erade
11-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I have 2 50GB SSDs that use SATA I/II and 1 120GB SSD that uses SATA I/II/III.

OCZ Vertex LE and OCZ Vertex 3 are the drives in question.

Will the Vertex 3 be bottlenecked? Should I just use the LE drives or is the connectors in the laptop SATA I?

Any help is appreciated

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 08:06 PM
The connectors themselves are all the same, so any 2.5" SATA drive can be installed. The SATA spec (SATA II or SATA III) just refers to the maximum throughput capability of the interface and the drive. (No modern computer or drive is SATA I.)

The maximum speed you'll get is limited to the maximum capability of the "slowest" component, whether that's the drive or the computer's SATA interface. So if you use a SATA III drive in a machine with SATA II capability, it operates at SATA II speeds (3.0 Gbs max). Similarly, if you put a SATA II drive in a machine that has SATA III capability, the drive still operates at its own 3.0Gbs maximum throughput.

There's no "bottleneck," per se. Personally, I would use the 120Gb SSD as your OS drive, and then get a larger HDD (500Gb, 750Gb for example) to use as your secondary data drive.

5erade
11-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks but I know all the SATA connectors are the same.

To be clear, are the specifications on the laptop SATA I, II, or III?
My 120GB SSD is SATA III for the very reason is it can utilize the bandwidth (Up to 500 r/w compared to my other SSDs with 285 r/w).

Thanks for trying to help at least :) These forums don't seem very active lol.

irdmoose
11-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I've seen some reports on this forum from people saying the drives are operating at Sata III, and some with the identical laptop saying it runs at Sata II. My guess is that the drive's controller in the SX and newer laptops support Sata III while the cabling could either support Sata II or Sata III, and what you get is a craps shoot.

BrodyBoy
11-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks but I know all the SATA connectors are the same.

To be clear, are the specifications on the laptop SATA I, II, or III?
My 120GB SSD is SATA III for the very reason is it can utilize the bandwidth (Up to 500 r/w compared to my other SSDs with 285 r/w).

Thanks for trying to help at least :) These forums don't seem very active lol.
There was nothing in your original post that asked as what you now say is your question: Are the specifications on the laptop SATA I, II, or III?

Had you asked that, rather than whether "the connectors is SATA I," the answer would have been that the SX chipset supports SATA III.

Sorry the help and the forum aren't up to your standards.....;)

I have 2 50GB SSDs that use SATA I/II and 1 120GB SSD that uses SATA I/II/III.

OCZ Vertex LE and OCZ Vertex 3 are the drives in question.

Will the Vertex 3 be bottlenecked? Should I just use the LE drives or is the connectors in the laptop SATA I?

Any help is appreciated

5erade
11-22-2011, 04:26 AM
There was nothing in your original post that asked as what you now say is your question: Are the specifications on the laptop SATA I, II, or III?

Had you asked that, rather than whether "the connectors is SATA I," the answer would have been that the SX chipset supports SATA III.

Sorry the help and the forum aren't up to your standards.....;)

Whoa buddy...someone took that the entirely wrong way...

Thanks for the answer, sorry you thought I was trying to insult.

iraqiboy90
11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
If you have the chipset Intel HM65 then:
Its been confirmed on a buddies laptop Asus G53SX that the HDD port 1 is SATA 3 capable, which mean 6Gbps.
BUT, port 2 is not sata 3, its only sata 2.