PDA

View Full Version : G751-JY CPU temperature getting warmer and warmer to 90C

bartvangils
05-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Hey co-ROG fans ( if thats a word )

I am getting pretty worried about my laptop, it keeps getting warmer, warmer and warmer.
A few months ago my CPU was always around 70 degree celcius, then after a while it went from 70 to 80 which I tought that was still allright but now the CPU goes to 90 degree celcius while playing not really intensive games such as World of Warcraft and H1Z1. I made a call with the company I bought it from, and they told me I am not allowed to change the thermal paste :/ but I can send it back to them or to Asus and they will check it out. Do you guys think 90 degree celcius is normal? If not, is it smart to send it back? I heard alot of negative posts about people getting a even worse model back.

Thank you :)

NitroX
05-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Firstly, you should make sure that the 90C isn't just a peak temperature while you are gaming. Usually, software like HWMonitor and HWInfo show maximum values, minimum values and average ones but they are not very reliable since the maximum often occurs for just a few seconds while in very intense parts of the game. Therefore I would suggest you to download MSI Afterburner and use the On-Screen display to monitor your CPU temperatures while you are gaming.

Next thing you should know is that there are several people over here that have complaint about the CPU temperature. Reaching 90C isn't a new thing and is not that dangerous either. Other gaming notebooks keep a constant 90C while gaming, especially the lightweight gaming ones like Clevo, Sager, Gigabyte etc. You shouldn't worry about the fact that the CPU temp reaches 90C while gaming because the hardware will be safe even at 95C. Past 95C the CPU will start throttling to lower it's temperature. Everything has been thought out so you won't end up with a burned CPU if the temperature gets too high.

On the other hand, you should be a little concerned since your temps were much lower until now. But, I assure you that the problem can't come from the thermal paste. If the paste was good enough until now it can't just lose it's properties so quick. I would rather search for other reasons like:

1) Do you use V-Sync in order to maximize the FPS to your display refresh rate ? Often, people skip V-sync because they want more FPS, but that will just over stress the system in order to render the additional frames that most of you won't even notice since the display can't get past 60FPS if it's refresh rate is set at 60Hz (this is also the reason for the vertical lines that appear without V-sync. Those are frames overlapping )

2) Check out your CPU usage. This can also be done with MSI Afterburner On Screen Display. See how high your CPU usage is when you are gaming. If something makes your CPU go nuts and use about 100% that shouldn't be normal and ofc, it will stress your CPU and raise it's temperature. What I am saying here is that you might have a background application that might be a CPU eater. I would advise you to close uTorrent when you're gaming.

3) Check if the power plan is set on balanced. Often people use High Performance plan in order to keep the CPU at it's maximum clocks. But this is useless since the CPU will automatically adjust it's frequency depending on the game's demand. Just leave your power plan on Balance and see how the temperatures are.

4) Make sure that you have considerable higher temperatures in the games were you said that you had about 70C before. But I am talking about, the same settings, the same kind of usage, the same gaming scenarios. I am saying this because you might have the same temperatures now for those games but you just used different usage scenarios that raised your temps . For example: I sometimes averaged at about 76C in Crysis 3 and other times I averaged around 82-83 because the levels I was playing were much more dense and demanding.

See if these help you and if not, we do have more solutions in order to reduce the CPU temperature.